[POLL] Do you play other games than ASL?

Do you play other games besides ASL?

• Yes

Votes: 112 81.2%
  • No

Votes: 24 17.4%
  • Shoot Vinnie

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Do you utilize all the bells and whistles from the extensions that are produced for FG (IE: rob2e, madnomad, ect.)? The sound effects/ visuals are great and really add to the ambiance while playing.
I think the only things I use are rob2e's effects modules and then a font extension so the text is bigger for my old eyes.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I voted 'Yes' because I've been playing and enjoying several other wargames since well before SL or ASL were published.

Recently I purchased the GTS series game 'The Greatest Day: Sword, Juno and Gold Beaches' during MMP's recent Black Friday sale. I've been enjoying this game immensely, having played through the first 2 introductory learning scenarios so far. The rules took quite a while for me to grasp, not necessarily because they are unclear or complex, but rather because the rules are SO very different from ASL. Now that I'm getting the hang of the sequence of play, the games and turns are moving along quite smoothly. Full credit for assistance in learning the rules goes to the YouTube videos which I watched after reading the rulebooks. Yes, there are 3 rule books with this game, however the GTS system is still much easier to learn than ASL.

The Greatest Day has been a most satisfying and interesting break from ASL, and when I return I expect that I'll have a renewed interest in playing the Normandy scenarios relating to the British and Canadian forces.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
SCS. GMT Ardennes '44 m(and others in the GMT '4x series), Terraforming Mars, Wingspan, Genotype, Innovation, Glory to Rome, Architects of the West Kingdom, Powergrid, Great Western Cattledrive, .......just off the top of my head....

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just enjoy playing games.
I'll play almost anything but have restricted my heavy wargamming recently to ASL.
Current family favourites are Wingspan and King of Tokyo
Have you played the Oceana expansion for Wingspan yet? I just picked it up at Barnes and Noble. (It was either that or the Dark edition of KoT)

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Have you played the Oceana expansion for Wingspan yet? I just picked it up at Barnes and Noble. (It was either that or the Dark edition of KoT)
I’ve played both of the expansions for Wingspan. The addition of the new “wildcard” food type, nectar, and associated player boards in Oceania changes the game/final scoring quite a bit. My family and friends all enjoy this latest addition. Plus, the bird cards are all awesome. 😊

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
No, I'd seen it in my local shop but since I've never visited there, I don't really have any interest in the birds so was keener to get the European one.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Just played 'Parks' and ' Isle of Skye' tonight at the local meet-up .
We started playing Isle of Skye as week or two ago. I liked it. Just a bit more complex and involved than a mere "filler", but not enough to make it the center of an evening of gaming.

We used it as sort of a "heavy warm-up".

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I've only played a couple of games of Wingspan on friend's copies, but I enjoyed it a lot. I'm hoping my hints were received and Santa brings a copy.

edit: Santa did his job! Defeated the wife and her sister in our first game!

Last edited:

sgibson260

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We have a weekly gaming group that plays boardgames, with Terraforming Mars and Combat Commander hitting the table steadily for the last three years. We also play wargames and longer games on federal holidays and some Sundays, including GMT card-driven games. I also run a family D&D game, and play in a virtual zoom-based horror RPG game. And I'm getting into ASL. :)

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We started playing Isle of Skye as week or two ago. I liked it. Just a bit more complex and involved than a mere "filler", but not enough to make it the center of an evening of gaming.

We used it as sort of a "heavy warm-up".
I much prefer it over Carcassonne (which I have never really cared for)

von Jager

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While I play ASL as a foremost Game system, mainly HASL, I have a keen interest in ACW gaming and I want ( indeed need to) learn GBACW. And im in the market for Three Days at Gettysburg; until I get a copy I am want to know if this module has a subset rule booklet aside from the Series Rules? I have a copy of the Series Rules but the subset if there is one I dont have,
I'm trying to teach myself the system using VASSAL.
I once played The Gamers CWB series, and even playtested two of the modules but a lack of play and time has dwindled my ability to regrasp the game and GBACW seems to be thriving more, so Here I am looking for assistance on the series.
Any held will be greatly accepted.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While I play ASL as a foremost Game system, mainly HASL, I have a keen interest in ACW gaming and I want ( indeed need to) learn GBACW. And im in the market for Three Days at Gettysburg; until I get a copy I am want to know if this module has a subset rule booklet aside from the Series Rules? I have a copy of the Series Rules but the subset if there is one I dont have,
I'm trying to teach myself the system using VASSAL.
I once played The Gamers CWB series, and even playtested two of the modules but a lack of play and time has dwindled my ability to regrasp the game and GBACW seems to be thriving more, so Here I am looking for assistance on the series.
Any held will be greatly accepted.
I much prefer CWB, and moreso LOB, over GCACW. The campaign aspect of GCACW is interesting and worthwhile, but the battle resolution of GCACW doesn't mesh with the time scale of the system. I had futzed around with the Gettysburg GCACW and had the battles around Gettysburg lasted 7 or 8 days. That just didn't set well with me and I ended up migrating back into CWB at the time.