[POLL] Do you play other games than ASL?

Do you play other games besides ASL?

• Yes

Votes: 112 81.2%
  • No

Votes: 24 17.4%
  • Shoot Vinnie

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
As in the title - do you? Me myself I'd gladly play some TTRPG, a friend of mine is a big fan of Legend of the Five Rings RPG and I do find (quasi)Japanese themes really fun to play with, but to be totally frank ASL takes pretty much all of my money that I can contribute to a hobby - apart maybe from some modelling, to which I want to return. And I do think about trying Up Front from time to time.

On the other hand, though, The Game is my game of choice, so I do feel fulfilled in terms of pursuing hobbies.

So, if you do, what are the other games that you are playing? If not, what's the reason for this?

For the account and for the sake of poll, let's exclude computer/console games.

Last edited:

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I play at boardgame meetups at least once but sometimes as many as three times a week.

Anything from 'No Thanks' through 'Terraforming Mars.' or 'Twilight Imperium' .

Prior to COVID the wife and I had game night once a month with another couple. Things like Camel Cup, Ticket to Ride or maybe even Power Grid. We will probably be re-starting that in 2022.

War games besides ASL are infrequent, but maybe FtF 3-4 times/year.

So my game life is fairly blessed, which is a good thing as I have mostly given up on sports.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
As in the title - do you? Me myself I'd gladly play some TTRPG, a friend of mine is a big fan of Legend of the Five Rings RPG and I do find (quasi)Japanese themes really fun to play with, but to be totally frank ASL takes pretty much all of my money that I can contribute to a hobby - apart maybe from some modelling, to which I want to return. And I do think about trying Up Front from time to time.

On the other hand, though, The Game is my game of choice, so I do feel fulfilled in terms of pursuing hobbies.

So, if you do, what are the other games that you are playing? If not, what's the reason for this?

For the account and for the sake of poll, let's exclude computer/console games.
ASL is #1 but I do play a few others, I have played a bit of BCS and OCS but I have played more SCS than both of those combined.
I also like the magazine games from Strategy & Tactics - though WW2 and post-WW2 are the main interests there. I have maybe 30-40 S&T games but have played less than half, though Kharkov from S&T 68 has seen the most play. I also have some of the GMT "year" series (eg Normandy 44) and the second edition of MBT (hoping a Middle East module will come out for this).

I have not played Settlers of Catan or Advanced Civilisation for 10-20 years but enjoyed them when I did.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
ASL is always #1 with me but I play everything from family games like Monopoly to sports like Baseball with Strat-O-Matic to fantasy stuff like War of the Rings and Star Wars Rebellion to lighter wargames like Viking to heavier, strategic stuff like Russia Besieged, Third Reich and The War for the Union to naval stuff like Bismarck and Wooden Ships and Iron Men. I used to play everything AH published in the 60s and early 70s for wargames until we saw other sources come out later in the 70s. As long as I'm rolling dice or are playing with cards I'm good.
Even Chess, Cribbage and Poker on occasion. Play or die! Vic. :)

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
My lifetime game is ASL, but I play many other boardgames.
Commands & Colors (Ancients, Medieval, Samurai Battles) is my next most played wargame.
I love dungeon crawlers or similar (mostly coop ones) : Sword & Sorcery ; Mansions of Madness 2nd ed. ; Solomon Kane ; Galaxy Defenders ; Arkham Horror 3rd ed.
Deckbuilders : Thunderstone ; Thunderstone Quest ; Aeon's End.
Ameritrashers : Zombicide Invader ; Zombicide Black Plague.
Adventure games : Talisman ; Runebound...
And quite a lot of smaller or medium size boardgames, with the occasional eurogame (such as Paleo).
I look for fun and for immersion.

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Same as Robin in that ASL is my primary game. However, I also like the GMT COIN games as well as the LOB from MMP.

A couple of years ago I found myself in ASL Burn Out. I took about 5 months off with no ASL and started to get into these other games. I found out it has relaxed me more with my ASL and made it more enjoyable for me.

During Covid we formed a regular group via VASSAL to play these games which allowed us to have some enjoyable times.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
ASL is #1 of course but a very close 2nd is Fire in the East/Scorched Earth/The Urals. I bought Total War & eventually received the bulk of it minus the rules which were promised but have as yet not been delivered (& will most probably not). 🤷‍♂️
I've also played (or at least setup & pushed around solo of course) many Command Magazines/XTR games & some Barbarossa series from GMT, a little Winter Sturm series from COA & OCS East Front stuff from MMP/Gamers. & various games here & there.
this is FitE/SE/tU setup sometime about 92 I think when I was playing it solo. I only got thru about Apr 42 before my mom needed the dining room table for Thanksgiving! damn holidays! :mad:

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I dabble in BCS (Battalion Combat Series). Any scale larger than that (battalion) and I lose interest. Oh, and used to play Combat Commander, may play it again down the road. ASL get 95% of my boardgaming attention for the most part.

And computer games. I'll die before I play all the games in my Steam library.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Leisure games with family and friends, of course; Ticket To Ride, Carassonne, Exploding Kittens. I still own a copy of Up Front, which I played to death just before starting ASL. I recently purchased Tank Duel and I am playing that monthly with on of my ASL opponents who wanted to spend less time playing ASL.

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
ASL is #1 of course but a very close 2nd is Fire in the East/Scorched Earth/The Urals. I bought Total War & eventually received the bulk of it minus the rules which were promised but have as yet not been delivered (& will most probably not). 🤷‍♂️
I've also played (or at least setup & pushed around solo of course) many Command Magazines/XTR games & some Barbarossa series from GMT, a little Winter Sturm series from COA & OCS East Front stuff from MMP/Gamers. & various games here & there.
this is FitE/SE/tU setup sometime about 92 I think when I was playing it solo. I only got thru about Apr 42 before my mom needed the dining room table for Thanksgiving! damn holidays! :mad:
View attachment 19590
OH MY GOD!!! A Psycho Sighting!! I hope things are going well.

As for the question, primarily ASL. However, I do play a number of solo-designed games:
RAF
The D-Day at series
Raid on St Nazaire
a number of the Gregory M Smith narrative games, particularly the submarine games
trying to learn the Tokyo Express/Carrier system