Point Blank Newsletter

TomAbromaitis

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Tom
Country
llUnited States
I'm wondering if any of the old Point Blanks are available anywhere. I'm particularly interested in what appears to be some sort of a set of Vietnam rules in issue #14.

More curious than anything!

hoxson1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had a conversation abt 6 mos ago with Jon aka witchbottles about dead links to these on his blog site. Apparently a dropbox server switch screwed things up. He said he had a lot on his plate but would try to get them working again.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
@TomAbromaitis , As the progenitor of Point Blank! - please PM me and I'll get you some copies of whatever issue you need/desire.

@hoxson1 - I'll see about getting the links working this weekend. I have had a lot of stuff going on as I approach my last 6 months before my dissertation gets published and I have to defend it. Education has really taken a front seat to any available leisure time for me. :) Thank Andy Hershey- it's his fault- he didn't warn me how much work a Ph.D. can actually be. :D
KRL, Jon H

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Everyone- Try this link to access all the back issues of Point Blank! newsletter, the scenarios from them, and the SASL Otto Carius CG featured in Point Blank!. I *think* everything should work from this link, and allow view and/or download of the MS Word or .pdf files.

@hoxson1 - feel free to post this link up like you asked earlier, on your webpage as you prefer.

KRL, Jon H

Last edited:

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Everyone- Try this link to access all the back issues of Point Blank! newsletter, the scenarios from them, and the SASL Otto Carius CG featured in Point Blank!. I *think* everything should work from this link, and allow view and/or download of the MS Word or .pdf files.

@hoxson1 - feel free to post this link up like you asked earlier, on your webpage as you prefer.

KRL, Jon H
Downloaded them and will enjoy reading them - thank you.

TomAbromaitis

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Tom
Country
llUnited States

KRL, Jon H

Thanks Jon! That's what I was looking for! Interesting to see the WIP Vietnam rules. Might stretch ASL too far, although I find Dien Bien Phu and Korea to both be mighty fine additions. Who can say?

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Jon! That's what I was looking for! Interesting to see the WIP Vietnam rules. Might stretch ASL too far, although I find Dien Bien Phu and Korea to both be mighty fine additions. Who can say?
I think that French vs Viet Minh is not out of reach for ASL currently. I think early ARVN vs VC cadre is not out of reach currently either. I'd probably draw a requirement line for new SWs and Guns and AFVs and many new rules and combat results tables requirements, somewhere around 1965 or so, more or less.

dwin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

KRL, Jon H
Thanks for this!

TomAbromaitis

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Tom
Country
llUnited States
I think that French vs Viet Minh is not out of reach for ASL currently. I think early ARVN vs VC cadre is not out of reach currently either. I'd probably draw a requirement line for new SWs and Guns and AFVs and many new rules and combat results tables requirements, somewhere around 1965 or so, more or less.

I think I'd agree. Are you suggesting what would be essentially a new IFT? Interesting suggestion.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think I'd agree. Are you suggesting what would be essentially a new IFT? Interesting suggestion.
yeah IFT and TK table results and DRMs would need revamping at some point as you go into the 1960's, to accommodate things like selective fire weapons, beehive MA rounds, Fletchette- armed aerial bombs and artillery shells, daisy cutter fuzes in aerial bombs, laser rangefinding, IR rangefinding, laser personal weapon sighting, the widespread issuance of body armor, etc.

Why I still play AH's "Firepower" as well - it takes these updates into account on a man -to-man level.

TomAbromaitis

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Tom
Country
llUnited States
DC Conscripts have some Viet Minh scenarios in their issues of Red Banners.
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.1dd172cd/1938
CH's Dien Bien Phu has been a lot of fun thus far. Doesn't feel like much of a stretch. Only bit I found interesting is they "dumbed-down" the BAZ a bit in the hands of the VM to more accurately replicate the effectiveness of them against the French M24s. A bit of a system change there. Although not unlike what MMP did with the HEAT rules in Korea.