Point Blank Fire

KevinG

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Situation: My opponant moves an AFV adjacent to my stopped AFV and stops. I fire against the stop MP and believe I can claim the -2 pbf TH DRM since the vehicle is now stopped. My opponant claims that becuase the target is still considered moving I cannot apply the mod. I claim that the fact that it is a moving target has nothing to do with the application of the mod or not, only whether it is motion (which it cannot be in its own MPh) or stopped/non-stopped.

What say you all ?

Patton1138

Reaction score
Having expended a Stop MP since the beginning of the turn, it is Non-Moving, so you do get the mod for PBFire.

KevinG

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
By C.8 it is still a moving target, since it entered a new hex, but I contend that it;s moving/non-moving status has nothing to do with the application of the pbf mod in DFF, just whether it is stopped/non-stopped.

kschindl

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
KevinG said:
Situation: My opponant moves an AFV adjacent to my stopped AFV and stops. I fire against the stop MP and believe I can claim the -2 pbf TH DRM since the vehicle is now stopped. My opponant claims that becuase the target is still considered moving I cannot apply the mod. I claim that the fact that it is a moving target has nothing to do with the application of the mod or not, only whether it is motion (which it cannot be in its own MPh) or stopped/non-stopped.

What say you all ?
as far as i know (no handbook here) the -2 pbf for to hit always applies, regardless of moving status.

WesN

Vicious Coon
Reaction score
First name
Wes
Country
llUnited States
as far as i know (no handbook here) the -2 pbf for to hit always applies, regardless of moving status.
If the target is in MOTION then not the -2 does not apply, but if the target was MOVING and then stopped, then yes you get the -2. I think some people are confused about MOTION status and the act of MOVING.

Wes

MKeen

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Has this dicsussion last night

PB will not apply to a target that is either in motion or nonstopped
Motion and moving are not the same. You are in motion if you have a motion counter on your unit, otherwise you are not in motion. Then all thats left is stopped/nonstopped. Since he expended a MP to stop he was stopped and therefore PB does apply.

Note: this goes for both the attacker and defenders status.

MKeen

Brien Martin

Panthera oncia
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think the key for understanding the AFV combat mods is ... "what is the status of the target *at the moment* the shot is taken?" IOW, in Kevin's example, the target had stopped. At the moment of the shot, the -1/-2 for PBF applies.

Some people will then argue that some of the Case C mods should not then apply because, at the moment, the tank isn't moving at all. Case C, however, deals with whether or not a tank has moved at all during the turn.

I still think that there's a better way to present the mods than as presently done. To me, there are three types:

1) Has the tank done anything during this turn?
2) What is the status of the tank/target at the moment of the shot?
3) Are there any terrain/environment modifiers that apply?

Maybe that's over-simplifying ... but I think that most people learn better when they have a checklist of questions to answer that lead them to a final answer ... a mental flowchart, if you will.