Pocket Rulebook Experience at ASLOK

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
If you have poor vision, a smaller version of the rule book is probably not what you need. Not all products are going to be a fit for everybody.

hey now!

Do not go trying to make sense to someone who goes out of his way to complain about everything......:smoke::p:nuts:

Peace

Roger

kynken

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
personally I like the book, regardless where the index is at. Would love to have seen them insert SASL into the mix.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
That pretty much defeats the whole purpose of buying a bound book. You have just made the pages vulnerable to being ripped out.
What? You've never seen pages fall out of a bound book? (I have no idea what the binding on the pASLRB is like, and how susceptible it might be to this. Anyone who purchased the "bound" version of the RuneQuest 3rd Edition rules published by TAHGC back in the early '90s will know the exciting experience of opening the front cover and watching several hundred loose pages fall out.)

A spiral-bound book is not especially likely to have pages tear out, so long as it's done sensibly (seems to be, as far as I can tell from the photos) and the book is not handled unusually roughly. (Again I'm assuming that the paper used in the pASLRB is not unusually light.) Given the intended use of the book (a reference work used at the table, with regular page flipping) spiral-binding it is far from the worst idea in the world. That being said, the rulebook will see quite a lot of page flipping so wear and tear at the holes will inevitably accumulate.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
That pretty much defeats the whole purpose of buying a bound book. You have just made the pages vulnerable to being ripped out.
<SHRUG> I probably have 20 spiral bound rule books (war games and RPG supplements). I have never had a page rip out (you'd pretty much have to try and rip a page out), but I have several bound rule books where the binding sucks and pages fell out (the reason for my first spiral bound rule book (40K) BTW). Far and away my favorite ASL rule book (physical not electronic) is the color copy I made and had spiral bound. It is light, it can be folded back on to itself and lays flat.

I love the PASLRB for its portability and the lesser about of space it take up on the gaming table.

Peace

Roger

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
What? You've never seen pages fall out of a bound book? (I have no idea what the binding on the pASLRB is like, and how susceptible it might be to this. Anyone who purchased the "bound" version of the RuneQuest 3rd Edition rules published by TAHGC back in the early '90s will know the exciting experience of opening the front cover and watching several hundred loose pages fall out.)
:ciao: I have one of those.......

Peace

Roger

PabloGS

Reaction score
Country
llChile
I have been marking with yellow highlighter the rules that have errata. This has allowed me for the first time ever to actually read the errata. I can read the PASLRB at work and noone notices. It is a great product!

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I have been marking with yellow highlighter the rules that have errata. This has allowed me for the first time ever to actually read the errata. I can read the PASLRB at work and noone notices. It is a great product!
I did the same thing. I highlighted the rule number that had errata so I could take a look when needed while gaming.

Peace

roger

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My HS English teacher taught me how to break in a paperback book. Put the book with the spine on a hard surface. Open front and back cover and run finger down the spine. Grab a few pages from both ends and repeat. Keep working your way to the middle of the book. This will break in the binding.
<SHRUG> I probably have 20 spiral bound rule books (war games and RPG supplements). I have never had a page rip out (you'd pretty much have to try and rip a page out), but I have several bound rule books where the binding sucks and pages fell out (the reason for my first spiral bound rule book (40K) BTW). Far and away my favorite ASL rule book (physical not electronic) is the color copy I made and had spiral bound. It is light, it can be folded back on to itself and lays flat.

I love the PASLRB for its portability and the lesser about of space it take up on the gaming table.

Peace

Roger
See my first post. You need to know how to properly break in a bound book. I do that to EVERY book I buy.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I worked in a library for a year when I first immigrated to NZ.

Jim's advice works well with hardback books. :thumup:

[video=youtube;aGP3R5lT-E0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGP3R5lT-E0[/video]

I've had less success with softback books. Where possible, I try to purchase clothbound (i.e. hardcover) books.

I think that spiral-binding is a good compromise for paperback books. Aside from the ease of keeping the book open to a certain page, a spiral-bound book takes up less space on the table when folded.

IMO, spiral-binding is ideal for a reference manual, and superior to using a binder/folder with only a few holes. I have torn more pages from a three- or four-ring binder than I can count, but not one from any of my spiral-bound books. YMMV.

Last edited:

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
See my first post. You need to know how to properly break in a bound book. I do that to EVERY book I buy.
Well that might help on some books, but I have had several that upon opening the front cover, pages started falling out (never with a hardcover mind you) and I treat books pretty well, especially new ones).

some times books are just cheaply made, it was like there was no glue holding it together.

DnD 5.0 PHB had issues (first run hardcover). My buddy had to spiral bind his.

But I will start doing what you recommended, though I have had two books (RQ and 40K 3E), that opening both covers would have lead to a paper explosion:laugh: Thankfully I ave not had the issue in some time (I just cursed myself).

Peace

Roger

Last edited:

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Please do not try to compare the vulnerability of a bound book to a spiral bound book in this regard. It won't wash, "Runequest" regardless.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Peace

Roger
Spiralize the unbound rulebook all you want. But dismantling a bound rulebook for the purpose of spiralizing it is pretty silly IMO.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I think we need to see a video of how you read books because everything you've said in your last five posts or so defies belief and description.

My paperback bound copies of SLAUGHTERHOUSE by Glantz and the CM Player's Guide have fallen to bits from constant use. On the other hand, none of the spiral bound reference books I use habitually has ever shed a page.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think that spiral bound pocket rule book looks fantastic. Much more useful than having it bound. Of course I'm one of those people that can give somebody credit for a great idea even if I didn't think of it first.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Spiralize the unbound rulebook all you want. But dismantling a bound rulebook for the purpose of spiralizing it is pretty silly IMO.
man you can be condescending.....

I have unbound and spiral bound rule books, far from silly it was a great decision. Far better functionality when I want a book to lay flat to a certain pages (not even getting into when pages are falling out to begin with).

To judge otherwise, is, well, just silly....... but that is what you do.

Peace

Roger