Pocket Rulebook Experience at ASLOK

jameycribbs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I bought a pocket rulebook at ASLOK and it quickly became my goto rulebook, even though I had already created my own paperback rulebook a few years ago by photocopying the loose-leaf one.

I think MMP really nailed it with this one. It is the perfect size to be easy to carry and store, without being so small that you can't read the words.

And the fact that it has the index in the front (awesome decision!) and has all the chapters you really need, including the PTO stuff, and also the errata pages, just makes it the complete package.

Of course, I understand that if it could have included the errata actually in the text itself, that would be better, but I understand the issues involved and I think MMP made the right call to get this out there now, rather than waiting longer.

I would highly recommend buying this rulebook.

Now, if they would do the same thing with Chapter H, man that would be awesome!

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I do not think putting the Index anywhere than in the front was ever considered.

jameycribbs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I do not think putting the Index anywhere than in the front was ever considered.
Well, in most rule books, the index is found in the very back of the book, so regardless of whether another location was considered, I still think it was an awesome decision.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Well, in most rule books, the index is found in the very back of the book, so regardless of whether another location was considered, I still think it was an awesome decision.
I *think* the ASLRB came with the Index in the front. If you have it in the back, I think you moved it.

JR

jameycribbs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I *think* the ASLRB came with the Index in the front. If you have it in the back, I think you moved it.

JR
Lol! That is probably true. It's been a while since I've seen the loose leaf rulebook in it's pristine condition.

Last edited:

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Indices belong in the back, of course, as that is where they go.

Tom Morin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got mine today UPS from MMP.

NICE. VERY NICE.

Cue the scene from 'The Mummy' of the zombies except instead of saying 'Im-Ho-Tep' have them chanting 'We want Chapter H, we want Chapter H.....'

Tom

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Obviously not in this case.

It is settled in that in *books* indices go in the back. Just because someone got it wrong does not mean that it is not settled. This publication is not going to turn the publishing world on end.

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
It is settled in that in *books* indices go in the back. Just because someone got it wrong does not mean that it is not settled. This publication is not going to turn the publishing world on end.
I realise that. But in this case the index is in the front. If you think about it it makes perfect sense for ASL. You read from front to back. You open the cover, go to the index to find what you are looking for and then go to that page.

Shortest number of page flips to get to your desired page. Those couple of seconds saved each search might add up over a game.

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Do you believe that conforming with a standard over function (in this particular case of a working reference book) would be the correct decision?

Some technical manuals I have used also have an index in the front

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Do you believe that conforming with a standard over function (in this particular case of a working reference book) would be the correct decision?

Some technical manuals I have used also have an index in the front
It probably isn't necessary for us to convince Marc that we are correct as we are correct de facto, and it is behooved on Marc to convince the powers-that-be that his incorrect vision of the world is the one that ought to be implemented. Until he has made some progress in that direction I think we can let him rant and give him an occasional lollipop when we want a bit of quiet.

JR

Last edited:

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I think if he won a million dollars he'd complain that It's not really a million dollars because it's worth less than it was 100 years ago when they invented a million dollars.

Meanwhile, the rest of us would be too busy pissing it up against a wall.

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
So in this case ASL is on fact "innovative"
rather than blindly following what has gone before

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
It's possible that some individuals are forgetting that the Index is not just an Index; it's also a Glossary. I don't know if God has ordained that a Glossary has a fixed location in a book, but I think that typically it's found in the front. (I know that there are exceptions.)

When I sat down to read the ASL rules for the very first time, the first thing I read was the Introduction. The second thing I read was the Index (Glossary). OK, a lot of the terms I was already familiar with (from playing SL/CoI/CoD/GI) but there was a lot of new stuff there; and reading the Glossary first made a lot of the actual rules a great deal more comprehensible when I read them. The various terms fell into place pretty quickly.

I have no problem at all with the Index (Glossary) being at the front of the book and it is, I sincerely believe, the best location for it.