pocket edition vs. big book

chief2000

Reaction score
Hi all!

I have the old ASL rulebook, some updated pages, the pocket edition, and the LFT rat pocket charts (2nd edition). I have been mulling over just getting the current binder edition of the rule book. Since I have the pocket edition and the charts, would it be a worthy investment?

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
I wouldn't bother. Updated pocket edition and matching Chapter H is coming soon. I doubt I'll ever mess with the big binder version again after that.

chief2000

Reaction score
Thanks so much, Guys for the quick response! Spencer, too bad you're way up in Gainesville! Can't find any ASL fans in the area here. It seems to be either VASL or bust:)

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I think you're good as you are. The second edition has better text but unless thatsca major consideration, I wouldn't bother.

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
I doubt I'll ever mess with the big binder version again after that.
Except for the small fuzzy font, the pASLRB is perfect. :)

Attached is an image scanned at the same time, both pages on the same scanner. (I cut and pasted because the full scan was too big to post here.)

Attachments

Last edited:

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
I've honestly had no problem with it. But I paint miniatures, so I'm used to squinting. :D
The pASLRB is a great resource, but because of the lesser font I doubt I'll use it for more than spot checking during a game. (It's also too small to write errata in, and the pages are on the wrong side of the book which causes me confusion when I switch back and forth between the ASLRB and the pASLRB.) The difference is especially stark when I compare it alongside the ASLRB 2020 update, where the fonts are AMAZINGLY crisp!

(I added the new CdG chapter A pages to the ASLRB 2020 update, and the decrease in sharpness is noticeable.)

Now if the pASLRB were printed by the same company using the same paper and process as the ASLRB 2020 update, that for me would be a real winner, even with the smaller font size. Of course, if MMP were going to do that, then why not offer the full-size ASLRB (with the better paper and fonts) softbound and print-on-demand. I'd jump on that!

Last edited:

chief2000

Reaction score
There are these really cool magnifying glasses from the "as seen on TV' spots that I picked up from CVS - they have little LED lights at both ends. You fit them over your regular glasses and whammo! Bigger font! It's the only product I've ever seen from these infomercials that actually work.
But wait, there's more......they magnify all the nice armor values too.