Plot AI Initial and Final Objectives

Gallowglass

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
How should these be used?

I've run a couple of tests with them but I cannot see how they influence the AI.

More generally, is there any guidance available for setting AI objectives?

The scenario I'm working on has Red defending a coastal city. Blue attacking from the East, Red reinforcements coming through the mountains from the North with Blue airborne moving into blocking positions.

Totally unbalanced for now,

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You need to assign these on a per-unit basis, and they act like waypoint. Each unit tries to go to its initial objective, and then on to its final objective. They've got some smarts about pathfinding, but not a lot.

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
James Sterrett said:
You need to assign these on a per-unit basis, and they act like waypoint. Each unit tries to go to its initial objective, and then on to its final objective. They've got some smarts about pathfinding, but not a lot.
Much like giving a brand new Lieutenant a map and instructions to go "there"! ;)

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Bear in mind that DA simply does not have a sophisticated AI opponent like TOAW (another operational level wargame) does. In that game, each unit in the scneario can have multiple objectives which the computer will fight to seize and hold. It is also smart enough to maneuver its forces in order to re-capture a location that has been lost, no matter where it is. Furthermore, there are multiple objective "tracks" available to the scenario deisigner. The designer can set certain conditions which, if met, will trigger the event engine to switch the AI to a completely separate AI track. In each one of these tracks, each individual unit can have separate orders. This can get really complicated to set up for larger scenarios, but if affords a motivated scenario designer the ability to craft a formidable opponent that can dynamically react to major developments on the battlefield.

DA's artificial opponent is really simple. All it is really capable of doing is moving more or less in a straight line from the first designated loaction to the next. And it can only have a total of two objectives per unit. If every single one of these is subsequently seized by the enemy, the AI will sit on its final objective and make no attempt to re-capture them. In effect, DA's AI does not fight for objectives at all, it simply moves from waypoint 1 to waypoint 2 by the shortest possible route. Once you understand this and have played against the AI a number of times it quickly becomes apparent that the AI is good for learning the game and not much else. It is 100% predictable every single time and cannot dynamically react to any enemy development or strategy.

DA is, however, a fine game when played against another person. In my opinion, DA doesn't get enough respect for what it is able to offer in PBEM mode. It's a fun game this way and more people should try it.

Gallowglass

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Yeah. Noticed that.

Had a brigade all strung out along a road moving up to reinforce defenders.. They got chopped to pieces unit by unit by the blocking force.

There's no way to tell the AI to pause and regroup before it attacks, gives a person something to do though.

I like DA. I've had it a couple of years, dabble with it from time to time, finally have some time to write a couple of scenarios I've been thinking about.