PLEASE READ - Regarding Log ins and viruses!

TankDawg

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Guys,

I see that some are having trouble logging in. I had that problem for a month or so, along with other 'cookie' issues.

That is, web sites that i frequented, like amazon, here and others were not 'recognizing' me.

I had to log in here every single time, even though I clicked 'remember me and log me in.'

Well, guess what? I had this little, small pretty much harmless virus that erased my cookies everytime I re-booted. So run a scan and check it out.

:!:

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
TankDawg said:
Well, guess what? I had this little, small pretty much harmless virus that erased my cookies everytime I re-booted. So run a scan and check it out.
I purposely clean out my cookies/temp files every day. I understand if I do that, I will not be recognized when I return.

However, the problem is that when I return and log in again, I am forced to log in twice--the first log-in is not recognized. EXC: all new messages are marked read between the first and second log in attempts. And that is what is annoying me.

I do not have a virus that I am aware of, and I am running pretty good anti-virus software updated at least weekly.

TankDawg

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Brian W said:
I do not have a virus that I am aware of, and I am running pretty good anti-virus software updated at least weekly.
thats what i thought too.

Also, sometimes you do need to log in twice. the first time is to 'check for new messages' and then again for some strange reason to log in to the forums.

Phemur, you out there?

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
TankDawg said:
thats what i thought too.
You thought you had good virus software or you thought you updated it weekly but did not?

If your virus software did not catch the virus, how would you know you had a virus?

Also, if all the virus did id wipe cookies (and I would like to catch that virus since I do it manually), what difference does it make if I have the virus, or, like any normally parinoid person, clean out my cookies on a daily basis?

TankDawg

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Brian,

Good points.

have no idea.

Not much of a computer guy. Just thought I would share my experience in case it was affecting someone else.

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just once, I'd like to experience a bug like every user I support.

I haven't had a single problem with this software, either on this board, or the other PHPBB boards I frequent. It's really bizarre.

You do need to keep a few things in mind though:

- Most BB software will only keep you logged in for a few days. Security consious sites will require you to log in after you've been absent for a few days (usually 5-7).
- Browsers can be set to do the same

I'll have to examine the PHPBB software, see what it does. Normally, the software will keep track of you as long as you don't close your browser or switch to another page. For the paranoid people, that means you don't have to stay logged in.

Don't know why you would have to log in twice though.

BTW, I have a question: why don't you set your browser to "Accept no Cookies"? You wouldn't have to delete them every day.

Nat

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anonymous said:
BTW, I have a question: why don't you set your browser to "Accept no Cookies"? You wouldn't have to delete them every day.
There are some sites with dynamic content that require cookies to work (for example my school's academic web portal). And I am not that paraniod; I do not mind a few cookies. I just don't like them hanging out for a long time and watching my electronic footprints.

If the log in problem (if it exists at all outside of my computer) never gets fixed, it is not that big of a deal to me. But, it seems at least one other has had the same problem.