Please offer advice for a replacement General!

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentleman,

Another comrade, Snefens, has fallen on his sword. However, his game is still in decent shape. I believe we will soon have a new general battling against Dagger5. I believe his experience on the fields of TOAW is limited, so let's give him as much advice as possible.

Here is what he'll be opening up with ... the start of Soviet 5.

BTW - this is an historical contest.

Last edited:

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Okay, here is my first piece of advice. Take a few days and read all the threads in this forum! The time spent will really help you get into the flow of the scenario. Make sure at the bottom of the Soviet forum page that you change the "Display Options" to "From the" beginning or you will miss a lot of good stuff!

laszlo.nemedi

Reaction score
Country
llHungary
The situation is promising:

(I could not resist: use the engineer unit at 35,7 and send through as much as units as you can, and you can hit a hole in the north front)

North is good, south is good (which means you can attack).

Try to close the pocket at Stalingrad again.
And dig in before the end, etc...

Heinz57

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I also would strongly reinforce our commander's (Westpointer) to review the other threads, even download five or six of the .Sav files to see how other situations are developing.

Relative to your specific situation, as seems the trend, Axis will likely try to roll up your forces south of Stalingrad. You might be able to spare some elements from north of the pocket for redeployment south.

Main thing is to maximize your offensive potential, we gain nothing on the defense in this scenario - we have to push hard for the big objective point cities. Tie his forces down, let him "increase the perimeter of his front" while preserving the integrity of your line to the extent possible. Shift offensive forces into his weak spots and drive like the dickens to Rostov.

Simple...ha...um...well...maybe not.

And the 2 Standards
1. Dig In Ignore Losses by end of turn.
2. Watch cooperation levels, movement points, and use the attack planner to maximize (to the extent possible) the number of tactical rounds you get.

Good Luck!

Oh...and drinking a lot of vodka before watching the replay helps to reduce the pain.

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1st action: take 30 minutes and makes sure every single unit is on ignore losses. Don't do anything else yet!

Lister

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
hi all. I'm Lister... Enrique Lister, this is not my real name, just a spanish division commander (red) in the spanish civil war. He led the 11th Division, a fine one. He was a communist. :p

Stavka has ordered to search for a new leader to stop the Manstein offensive to relieve Von Paulus encircled 6th Army... :cool:

The situation is odd... I don't have a well formed idea about the battle that's developing, the proficiency of the units under my command, my lines of supply, but my HQ officers are giving me all the reports I need to organize a defense and counterattack. :confused:

let's see if I can manage to work out some nasty surprise to the axis forces... :devil:

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
laszlo.nemedi said:
(I could not resist: use the engineer unit at 35,7 and send through as much as units as you can, and you can hit a hole in the north front)
YES! You must pressure the north. He's moving some of his reserves towards the pocket. You need to make him doubt that decision by heavy pressure in the north.

In the area laszlo is discussing, I'd do this:

1. Move the engineer at 34,6 to 35,7

2. Move the HQ unit at 38,4 to 35,7. This will save your other units a couple of movement points when moving onto the river hex.

3. Move ALL units directly to the north of that due south to 35,7. The 32 Motor Bde should now be sitting on 36,6 set to ignore losses.

4.Have the units in 34,6 set for an ignore losses bombardment of the cav battalion in 35,8. (I swear that helps get retreats before combat [RBC]).

5. Have the 32 Motor Bde try to get a RBC on 35,8. If it works great, if not, getting one on 36, 7 is a sure bet.

6. Follow up with your armored units to exploit the hole with more RBC's.

Last edited:

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Or in picture form:

Before:

(Image Deleted)

and

After:

(Image Deleted)

Of course, we support this with more attacks to the south and north. More to come!

One point before I forget. In the north at least, I've noticed some of the big divisions have been divided. They need recombined asap to get the max RBC possible.

Last edited:

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WestPointer said:
Or in picture form:

Before:

(Image Deleted)

and

After:

(Image Deleted) ...
I've deleted the images I posted and decided I need to be more careful playing this save file and showing Lister the results BEFORE he has played the turn.

That's really not in the spirit of how TOAW should be played because I am basically scouting out the enemy positions for him.

I have rebuked myself and I will be more cautious in the future that my advice is tactical/strategical without showing pics or revealing what would not otherwise be known.

Lister

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you for your advices gentlemen. General patton said... The best defense, an ofensive... Let's punch his lines all over the weak points in the map and wreak havoc in their support units...First i've established a bridgehead near 35,7 with 3 tank brigades and a motorized brigade. I've started to harass italian artillery. The bridgehead is defended with 2 tank and 2 motor bgds, that will join the ofensive next turn. I'm planning to shift more troops in front of german units to exploit that hole, whilst starting an ofensive with 6th army and some guards suppport on the leftmost italian flank. (some pincer attack).

Moreover, the italian AFV positions seem to be a good point to punch another hole in enemy lines... I've captured a city with a flanking attack (3 units from different hexes) and i want to use the fresh troops from serafimovich to attack north & south of the rumanian tank brigade and envelope it.

In the kessel i'm starting reducing the kessel from the north, giving freedom to a sorrounded infantry brigade and my aim is to occupy Gumrak in a couple-three turns...Maybe the germans in the city will counter from the east but we will see... And advancing on Martinovka from west to menace Pitomnik. Gumrak and Pitomnik are far more concerning to me than the stalingrad city, by now.

I'm reinforcing my flanks that are attacking manstein units that had oppened a hole in the kessel... I'm reorganizing that weak fronts to save the units that were surrounded there...I've stablished a very weak link with'em. I've got no forces to try to seal the kessel again...in this turn. In the south the romanians are givin' some unexpected stiff resistance...

Lister

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The main problem is the stiff german resistance. Casualties have amounted to 9 friendly - 6 enemy... for only some minor gains.

I wonder that I have more artillery pieces and can soften and suppress the enemy before the assault with one or two artillery only attacks... (they consume only one attack phase even if I use the ignore loses command on my arty units?

Have u used this tactic?

Worked out?

Regards.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I haven't had a chance to review the .SAL yet, but in my experience, Heinz57, WestPointer and Laszlo are always dead-on in their respective analysis, so I have no doubt that they are pointing you in the correct direction.

Regarding your specific question about artillery only bombardment...it works, sort of....if you use artillery only, if it is set in minimize losses, it will consume one combat round. If set on limit losses, it will consume two combat rounds. And, you can guess what's coming here, if set on ignore losses, you'll use up three rounds just doing the bombardment. Lord help you if you fail a proficiency check along the way and lose the rest of your turn doing so (and playing the Soviet side in almost any east front scenario is an adventure in failed proficiency checks, believe me!)

Many outstanding players on this site subscribe to using a broken down AT or AA unit to "probe" the defenses of a hex. In otherwords, you deliberately split an AT or AA unit (needs to be something very mobile) into thirds, and you use one of those pieces to perform a limited attack on minimize losses against a hex you want to take. The catch is, all artillery in range is dug in and on ignore losses, so each unit is firing three times with half of its tubes to support this one attack. Losses are usually heavy for the defender over a couple turns with this sort of treatment. We've found (Heinz57 more specifically, if I'm not mistaken) over the course of this tournament that using one artillery unit to directly bombard the hex on minimize losses goes a long way in disentrenching the defending units when used in combination with an assault.

I personally, given the scale and number of places I want to assault in this scenario on a given turn, have rarely used this method. I wind up studying the map closely before doing anything, but usually I look for places where I can gain a flanking attack (and the bonus that comes with it) as where I want to try and gain ground. Then I'll hit that hex from two or more sides with units on minimize losses, one artillery piece directly bombarding on minimize losses, and all other artillery in range not similarly employed dug in on ignore losses...and watch losses mount on the Axis side. Plenty of evaps, plenty of units in the front that are now shells of their former selves.

Another key bit of advice, and then I'll stop typing for the night, is to watch the playback closely...several times if need be, making notes on a sheet of paper to keep track of where reserves are going towards. The intelligence the game gives you is quite limited, so this can help prevent nasty surprises.

After the playback, look over the situation on the map closely. It won't usually be nearly as bad as the playback will have you believeing, though it won't be pretty at times either. At any rate, study the situation up and down your lines before even moving anything and mentally, if not on paper, plan out where you want to advance, with what units, and objectives for the turn. This will help you keep formations together, and generally help your play not be a random point and click festival...though if you've really broken his lines, formation coherency isn't as important as the pursuit into his rear areas and really pressuring him...but that's another story altogether!

Anyhow, keep posting questions and .SALs, and we'll continue to give advice. Keep punishing the Italians in particular....they are super-fragile in this scenario, and if they evaporate, they don't reappear....so your opponent has to strip his line somewhere to fill that hole.

Okay, I think that'll do for now.....

Good luck, tovarich!

John

Last edited:

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lister said:
The main problem is the stiff german resistance. Casualties have amounted to 9 friendly - 6 enemy... for only some minor gains.
LOL! Many of your comrades would love to have only a 9-6 loss penalty at the end of turn 5. That is excellent. I can't understand how Dagger5 got so far towards the pocket while inflicting so few casualties.

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree with John ... I've found that having one artillery unit in direct bombardment on min losses while the rest are either dug in or in tac reserve on ignore losses works the best for digging out the enemy. The unit that direct fires should be one of those arty units with 10 movement points to minimize the chance of burning extra combat rounds.

For the Soviets, pounding the Germans every single turn with every single artillery tube is key to victory.

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lister - what did you do with the 1st Gd Mech Corp? I hope and pray you say you sent it to support the attack of 2nd Gd Army and not towards the pocket!

Well, it's not that bad if you went to the pocket but the northern assault will run out of steam without the 1st Gd Mech Corp adding it's power.

laszlo.nemedi

Reaction score
Country
llHungary
WestPointer said:
I've deleted the images I posted and decided I need to be more careful playing this save file and showing Lister the results BEFORE he has played the turn.

That's really not in the spirit of how TOAW should be played because I am basically scouting out the enemy positions for him.

I have rebuked myself and I will be more cautious in the future that my advice is tactical/strategical without showing pics or revealing what would not otherwise be known.
Agree. (That's why I said I could not resist my remark, but tried to give as minimum advices as I can in that type.)

Lister

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just to show my plans... No advice needed, by this moment...

In both images...red lines for movements executed, white for planned and blue for exploiting white plans success (medium term objectives).

In image 2 I plan to expand the bridgehead advancing deep on enemy with small recon units and flank attack the italians. Another attack in the leftmost flank is aimed to cover the penetration right flank. Another attack and possible breakthrough will cover the left flank. Attacking with 1st Mech Guard will tie down and ultimately surround romanian tanks and ultimately divert enemy reserves. The penetration has an ultimate target to reach the enemy airbase. Enemy reserves at bottom left should be tracked to avoid surprises...A medium term achievable plan is the encirclement and destruction or disorganization and retreat of the enemy left flank. After this thrust south, I could manage to turn east and trap the whole german forces in the scenario...

In image 4 u can see that i'm probing with the "white units" the enemy positions west of the kessel. the aim is to discover if a push south is available...BTW i've taken Kalinovsky. Let's see if he wants/can counterattack here. The kalinovsky offensive now is aimed to divert panzer troops south of the kessel, if he ignores it i'll try to occupy other objective cities ...

Another diversion attack are the southmost...Has very litle posibilities to penetrate enemy territory... But who knows?

I'm punching the kessel from west and north... I'll avoid city combat in the stalingrad ruins. I want them to starve first... :devil: The attack in force comes from the north, i've taken some hexes and if I continue applying presure I could force the city defenders to help in the north defence or achieve a breakthrough and link up with the western attackers.
Gumrak and Pitomnik are key to a fast victory here...

Both sides of the "kessel relieve bottleneck" are badly beaten and urgently in need of reinforcement/replacement...

That's all !!!