Playtester Wanted

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am at the stage where I need to expand the small team that has been working on a DYO Campaign project with me. I am looking for one (1) additional person to help me with playtesting a new CG based on our DYO Campaign rules.

[REVISED]
First, technology:
  1. I can try Skype, however, my ISP seems to have long delays that cause lots of lost connections with the VASL server. We may need to use just the chat window or cell phones.
  2. you must be using VASSAL 3.6.9 and VASL 6.6.5 at this time and you must be able to easily update/manage your extensions if necessary.
  3. basic computer skills in order to install and extract files from a .zip file are necessary in order to use the game materials.
  4. This is most likely a very rare thing, however, if you have any extensions that 'overload' VASL prototypes they need to be removed. My extension does have some overloading in it at this time, although that will most likely go away with the next VASL update.
Passion:
a) you must like to play LARGE scenarios and campaigns. These are campaigns, although not as long as an RB CGIII and the scenarios are RB+ sized LARGE.
b) you must be able to play at least twice weekly, each session about 4 hours, although upon mutual agreement I have been known to play longer.
c) you must be comfortable with VASL, especially stack manipulation - there will be large stacks and it will be extremely frustrating for you if you can't easily work with them.
d) you must be comfortable with the ASL rules. I constantly refer to my eASLRB, however, during the game there is a limit on time wasted, if we can't determine the proper method quickly, we make a judgement and move on. We can determine the correct interpretation later.
e) you must be able to entertain new ideas, there are some.
f) you must be able to provide feedback and understand that although there is still wiggle room in the current rules, not much.

What is a DYO Campaign?
i) The rule set is a combination of HASL Refit Phase rules combined into a single set, along with a set of special rules (like Personal Leader Counters) for some chrome. It grabs concepts from both AH/MMP as well as TPP games. As with all other HASL, the Refit Phase is the core of conducting the campaign vs each day's actual scenario play.
ii) A Campaign Game uses the Geomorphic Boards to create the mapboard, along with Organizations at Divisional and below levels to establish a Force Pool for each side along with special rules for that particular CG.

What is the playtest CG?
This particular CG is set around the German capture of Smolensk in July, 1941. It uses a 3x5 matrix of geoboards (97x50 hexes) and pits the German 29th Motorized Division against the Russian 129th Rifle Division along with various additional/supporting units on either side. Each scenario lasts a variable number of game turns, from 6-10 turns, and the entire campaign runs for 8 CG days. It is heavy in infantry, urban warfare, with some supporting armor/vehicles, also using OBA and Aircraft (Stuka's). The Russian can choose a night scenario so you need to be familiar with the night rules, although this option is not available on the first CG date, so you would have time to brush up. This scenario is RAW, having never been played once; it may have significant flaws. We are busy playing another CG that is rural in nature (1944, Ukraine) and I need to also determine the compatibility of the rules with an urban setting.

What will be provided?
I will provide the playtester with an html* copy of the DYO Campaign rules, along with the scenario 'card' and my DYOCampaign.vmdx extension. The extension is mainly some administrative counters at this time (the ammo depletion functionality now in the core VASL), however, it does have at least a few vehicles required to play (such as the Kfz-70 Krupp-Protze 1-ton Truck). We will be playing each other in the CG.
* Note that the html rules have references back into my html ASL rulebook (not to be provided) which a tech savy person could use to link to their own or potentially to the pdf eASLRB (I don't know how links work in pdf files).
You will need to download the hideable control markers and the secret dr extensions. The nationality smoke extension is also a good one to have. If they can not be found on vasl.info I can e-mail them.

If you are interested, please send me a private message on Gamesquad. Let me know your situation as it pertains to the requirements above, including when is best for you to play. I am retired now, and sports wise really only follow my college football team, so I am basically free until March Madness comes around (the one bowl game is easy to schedule around). You should include your e-mail address.

Last edited:

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have revised my communication choices above as well as the VASSAL version. Lots of views, no takers yet.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Creating a Discord server will expand your control and group options tremendously.
Instant conversations can be had with other playtesters immediately.
File exchange seemless.
Specific Data can be stored in the forum sections you create.

Team communication is a highlight of Discord.

Phones work too.

M Faulkner

Disgruntled Democrat
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llUnited States
Creating a Discord server will expand your control and group options tremendously.
Instant conversations can be had with other playtesters immediately.
File exchange seemless.
Specific Data can be stored in the forum sections you create.

Team communication is a highlight of Discord.

Phones work too.
Can you give a tutorial;.