Playing the SASL system against itself

Subfeeder

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Apologies if this has been covered before.
How would the SASL cope with the system playing both sides in a Mission? Some changes would have to be made to an existing mission (or a new mission invented) but I'm interested to see if it would work. For example, Mission 1 Cautious Advance, you could place all onboard S? for the defender and then give the attacker an equal number of S? to enter using the standard entry rules (4.2). Apart from preventing completely ridiculous system actions the player would just be making the dice rolls and moving the pieces and watching the action unfold. As a deeply uncompetitive person who loves wargames this may be the perfect solution for me!
Anything I'm missing that would make this impossible? Any house rules I would need to implement?
Thanks

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You should be fine doing that. You'll have to experiment to see how many counters to give each side though to balance it out, and determine ac# for each side.

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
What a curious idea. Like AT_Great I'm guessing it'll mostly work after some tweaking. You might have to be selective about which missions you play though (the mission where you have to demo the bridge after you evacuate you forces would be tough to adapt, for example.) My first thought is the mission's where both sides get CVP might be better than the one's where only the ENEMY get CVP, since both sides are likely to take a beating when under system control. You'll also have to come up with a way to handle temporarily attached MSR forces. Stuff like AFV's you should just be able to enter alongside the S? as if they were RE activated ENEMY vehicles, but units like assault engineers might be tougher.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've actually done ASL scenarios using a modified version of this approach when playing solo as it takes some of the full control away from you.
I think Barking Monkey has some good points about SASL only play but could be addressed by using differing colors of S? counters to represent specific FRIENDLY units (e.g. AEs or Vehicles) and then modify or create the Activation Tables to reflect only specific types of units may be activated from them.

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don't modify anything. Just play it through 3 times, THEN if it seems wonky modifiy. As for any RE's you don't need to do any thing special just follow the existing rules