macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Hi All

May have been doing this very wrong for many years!!!
A unit fires from a smoke hex - +4 to the dice so hard to do much to the enemy but I thought residual was not affected

I thought that like a Fire-lane - residual not affected by smoke or like the Low Visibility does not affect residual - smoke is unfortunately on that list on reading of the rule book and no example in wither residual chapter or LV chapter tells me smoke is on the list

Now I think the column shift for each +1 is applicable like it was grain brush etc etc

Have I been mistaken and not reduced my residual for smoke!

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Rob

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
A9.22 ....
A Fire Lane Residual FP counter exerts a unique form of Residual FP in its Location, and in every same-level (B.5) Location of the Fire Lane Hex Grain between that counter and the MG, that is within the MG's Normal Range and in the LOS of its manning Infantry (when tracing their LOS to the hex center dot). However, neither NVR (E1.1) nor any SMOKE/brush/grain/marsh/FFE/LV-(E3.1)/DLV-(F11.6)/Dust-(F11.794)/hut-(G5.21) Hindrance affects LOS for Fire Lane placement/attack purposes. A Fire Lane's Residual FP is equal to the FP column to the left of the FP column normally used by that MG's FP [EXC: PBF doubles the reduced FP in the ADJACENT hex; Fire Lane Residual FP TPBF is NA (9.223)]. A MG which has established a Fire Lane may not fire again until the DFPh [EXC: if its Location is entered by an enemy unit; 9.223]; see 9.3.

As I see it, for the original attack in which you place the Fire Lane, your SMOKE modifiers apply, i.e. if you imagine a German 3-8 LMG firing out of +3 Smoke would get a +4 shot (provided no other modifiers apply). But I do not think that this will reduce the number of FL RFP, i.e. you will get a FL with 1 FL RFP.

If subsequently, an enemy unit would pass through this FL RFP across Open Ground using non-Assault Movement, it would be attacked by 1 FL RFP @ -1 FFNAM. The -1 FFMO would be cancelled because the LOS from the MG to the target unit passes through SMOKE.

von Marwitz

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The question is not about FL, but about normal RF.
The +4 Smoke hindrance indeed reduces the RF by four columns.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The question is not about FL, but about normal RF.
The +4 Smoke hindrance indeed reduces the RF by four columns.
Absolutely correct as SMOKE is a TEM and affects the RFP of the initial shot. The exception here is a FL which by specific cases noted in A8.2 do not reduce the RFP exerted by the FL.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
A8.26 EFFECT OF DRM: The amount of Residual FP left by any attack is reduced by one IFT column for each positive DRM caused solely by conditions outside (including CX, BU, Stun, leadership modifier, or hexside/bridge TEM of the target Location which modified (or could have modified; B9.31) the To-Hit/IFT DR, but excluding Height Advantage and LV DRM (E3.1)) the target hex

The smoke in the firer's hex is outside the target hex, so it lowers the amount of residual FP in the target hex.