Playing ASL for to many years???.......Or you may be an ASL ADDICT

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
You may be an ASL ADDICT when:

1)You ask you grand kids for a tie covered in hexes for xmas
2)You do not dream counting sheep..nope, you dream counting hexes and the best route for a end run to the VP hex..
3)You refer to your missus as "The Capt'n"
4)You open your wallet and the original receipt for ASL 1st edition rule book falls out .....and the date reads 1985
5)You missus complains that there is more dust on the kitchen tables,THAN ON YOUR ASL COLLECTION
6)Your house is going to burn down...and you already have your ASL COLLECTION packed in the trailer.
7)You are arguing with your co-worker and they leave in a huff....you say to others yup "the idiot failed his moral check."
8)YOUR MISSUS YELLS AT YOU AND YOU DUCK..THEN REALIZE YOU FAILED YOU PERSONAL PIN TASK CHECK
9)You have a sign on you front lawn calling your home "ASL HQ".
10)AND FINALLY.... YOU SPEND THREE WEEKS PLANNING ASL GAMES FOR YOUR XMAS HOLIDAYS. BUT 5 MINUTES MAKING YOU XMAS LIST...FOR YOUR WIFE...

Have fun guys, roll low, and enjoy the coming holidays!!!!!

Shane

Last edited:

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
I have been in the wargaming hobby since 1966 (Avalon Hill's D-Day sucked me in) and started Squad Leader/COI in 1980, me and Tom Morin got hooked and dove right into ASL in 1986 when Beyond Valor and then the ASL rulebook were released. My significant other has
been tolerant of my hobby and encourages me with the newsletter, Dispatches from the Bunker. It is a big part of who I am, I can't imagine not playing not only ASL but other games in the hobby when time allows. Retire to what they said? I say to the best hobby you can be in if
interested in history, problem solving and good and civil competition. I'll be in Albany a week from Saturday to catch up with Steve Pleva, Joe Leoce, Paul Sidhu and all the great ASL players I'll see in Albany. Roll low if you can but have FUN in any event. Now bring on that turkey tomorrow, I hope the greater ASL community here in the USA has a nice Thanksgiving and Happy Holidays to all my international friends, looking forward to rolling those dice again, Vic.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have been in the wargaming hobby since 1966 (Avalon Hill's D-Day sucked me in) and started Squad Leader/COI in 1980, me and Tom Morin got hooked and dove right into ASL in 1986 when Beyond Valor and then the ASL rulebook were released. My significant other has
been tolerant of my hobby and encourages me with the newsletter, Dispatches from the Bunker. It is a big part of who I am, I can't imagine not playing not only ASL but other games in the hobby when time allows. Retire to what they said? I say to the best hobby you can be in if
interested in history, problem solving and good and civil competition. I'll be in Albany a week from Saturday to catch up with Steve Pleva, Joe Leoce, Paul Sidhu and all the great ASL players I'll see in Albany. Roll low if you can but have FUN in any event. Now bring on that turkey tomorrow, I hope the greater ASL community here in the USA has a nice Thanksgiving and Happy Holidays to all my international friends, looking forward to rolling those dice again, Vic.
I tell my wife ASL is cheaper than Hookers and Blow so be thankful

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You may be an ASL ADDICT when:

1)You ask you grand kids for a tie covered in hexes for xmas
2)You do not dream counting sheep..nope, you dream counting hexes and the best route for a end run to the VP hex..
3)You refer to your missus as "The Capt'n"
4)You open your wallet and the original receipt for ASL 1st edition rule book falls out .....and the date reads 1985
5)You missus complains that there is more dust on the kitchen tables,THAN ON YOUR ASL COLLECTION
6)Your house is going to burn down...and you already have your ASL COLLECTION packed in the trailer.
7)You are arguing with your co-worker and they leave in a huff....you say to others yup "the idiot failed his moral check."
8)YOUR MISSUS YELLS AT YOU AND YOU DUCK..THEN REALIZE YOU FAILED YOU PERSONAL PIN TASK CHECK
9)You have a sign on you front lawn calling your home "ASL HQ".
10)AND FINALLY.... YOU SPEND THREE WEEKS PLANNING ASL GAMES FOR YOUR XMAS HOLIDAYS. BUT 5 MINUTES MAKING YOU XMAS LIST...FOR YOUR WIFE...

Have fun guys, roll low, and enjoy the coming holidays!!!!!

Shane
You built an $89,000 (so far) building in backyard for a hobby woodshop. The first things you build are gaming tables, chairs and dice towers.
The Laguna CNC machine is gonna add a hefty amount of $$ to that total but i'll be able to make storage systems for all my games. ;)

(P.S. And, Maybe I can use the tools as bait to talk Bendis into coming by and playing some games for a few months.)

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
You built an $89,000 (so far) building in backyard for a hobby woodshop. The first things you build are gaming tables, chairs and dice towers.
The Laguna CNC machine is gonna add a hefty amount of $$ to that total but i'll be able to make storage systems for all my games. ;)

(P.S. And, Maybe I can use the tools as bait to talk Bendis into coming by and playing some games for a few months.)
Good luck with that project.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I’m a better carpenter than ASL player.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I’m a better carpenter than ASL player.
Have a loaded up woodshop...stop by sometime.

Scrollsaw, Planer, Jointer, Sawstop 3HP 36" table saw, Laguna 14" bandsaw, lathe and all the hand tools (I don't share my chisels) and clamps in the world and a Laguna CNC coming...oh yeah, we could play some ASL too. ;)

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Have a loaded up woodshop...stop by sometime.

Scrollsaw, Planer, Jointer, Sawstop 3HP 36" table saw, Laguna 14" bandsaw, lathe and all the hand tools (I don't share my chisels) and clamps in the world and a Laguna CNC coming...oh yeah, we could play some ASL too. ;)
You have a chisel fetish? Oh well. Fish liked little plastic soldiers that as a kid we blew up with firecrackers. Geniuses. Go figure. 😉😘

Last edited:

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
When you contract an Ukrainian carpenter to build after my measurements/design and flooded (with 34 towers) the tournament ASL scene in Sweden with cheap Dice-Towers (no profit for me).

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Forgot to mention that the carpenter produced 42 Dice-Towers, I sold 34 and kept the remaining 8 towers myself, to be used during my gaming gatherings.
There has to be some haha there but right now all I can do is commend your gaming spirit. Well done Sir!

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
When you want to play even faster type of ASL and realize it can only be acheived if you both became gunslingers with four Pistols (= Dice-Towers), two Pistols on each side of the map board(s).

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
When you want to play even faster type of ASL and realize it can only be acheived if you both became gunslingers with four Pistols (= Dice-Towers), two Pistols on each side of the map board(s).
Use a chess clock, with only one hour allotted to each player, set-up time included! First player to reach an hour before the end of the last turn automatically loses.

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Use a chess clock, with only one hour allotted to each player, set-up time included! First player to reach an hour before the end of the last turn automatically loses.
Worst idea ever, an ASL addict would never use a shitty chess tool or accept it to decide the battle. It also slow down play, not a speed it up tool.

when our six-shooter-towers are loaded with six-sided-dice, precision is in demand, not a chess clock that demand space and 'improve' sloopy play.