Play it again, Sam

Juzek

Steve Kyle
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
At WO this year I noticed a number of classic scenarios played, including two different replays of "Silence That Gun." It got me thinking that with all the scenarios out there, more than a person could play in a lifetime, what are the ones you've played more than once, or especially multiple times.

Way back when, there were just a dozen or so scenarios out there and playing one more than once wasn't unusual.

So I'm curious which ones would you gladly play more than once.

Last edited:

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Have played more than once:

Morire in Belezza
Retribution
Lost Opportunities
Red Packets
Ci Arrendiamo (preparing to play for second time)
The Citadel
Penetration of Rostov
Commando Schenke
Defiance on Hill 30
Silence That Gun

I'm sure there are more, this is just what I remember right now.

Would gladly play White Tigers and One Down, Two to Go again.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
So far I have played over 640 scenarios (not a lot by some standards), made up of about :

460-ish played once
70-ish played twice

and:

ASL 027 Liberation of Tulle x 3
ASL 012 Confusion Reigns x 3
PB 5 Taylor Made Defence x 3
A074 Valhalla Bound x 3
ASL 011 Defiance on Hill 30 x 3
ASL 023 Under the Noel Trees x 3
J 111 Prussia in Flames x 3
ASL 022 Kurhaus Clash x 4
ASL 014 Silence that Gun x 4
J 060 Bad Luck x 4 (and lost it every time as the US)

Many scenarios you have to play more than once to 'get' what has to be done and how to do it right.
Same goes for CGs, though I have not played any CGs to completion twice (yet).

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BTW - other older scenarios that I noticed at WO were: Swan Song and Fighting Withdraw.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
  • Shanghai in Flames x 3
  • DB104 Police Station x 2
  • ITR1 Debacle at Sung Kiang x 3
  • DB92 Streets of Kharkov x 2
  • J116 Brigade Hill x 2
  • DB081 Lack of Discernment x 2

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Although my ROAR records date from 1991, I was never very consistent in recording my games informally or online. I have a whole folder of PIS sheets from various venues and every so often I will put one or two on ROAR, careful to make sure my opponent had not already entered it. But I am sure that most of the games noted above have been played by me more than once.

I also noticed "Silence that Gun" being played and waxed nostalgic about when things were simpler and tactics pretty unsophisticated.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Have played Siam Sambal three times and still have no idea what's going on. It's my Edison's Light Bulb; I come away from it going, "Nope. THAT'S not the way to play it." And yet, each time is a blast. Highlighted, of course, by the FT-17's trundling about like clueless grandfathers, sure that they have SOMETHING to contribute but not really sure where, or how. As Crush would say in Finding Nemo, "It's awesome, Jellymon".

Someone mentioned Valhalla Bound. I've done this twice, but without knowing it the second time. Played it like 20 years ago with Tim Wilson in Deepest Wyoming; still remember my 10-2 AL in a Panther taking long range shots and nailing Russian tanks with minimal MP spent in LOS. While that game was memorable, I didn't recognize the Russian OB when it was given to me as part of FRASL's Fog of War event last summer. Greg Hubbard had diverged from his normal DYO method and had reached way back into the archives (95 Annual, with Valhalla Bound itself being a reprint from the old Rout Report) to pull out that scenario without telling anyone. In FoW, everybody plays the same scenario but only gets to see the OB from their own side, with the German players competing with each other and the Russians competing amongst themselves as well. Nobody (I think) recognized the old scenario from just looking at their own OB, and A Good Time Was Had By All. Brilliant move by Greg.