Play by Skype

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Regarding the above...I don't play VASL, and have only one FtF regular opponent ( though I'm planning to go to tournaments in future)...my question is; how does it work exactly? I'm keen to play more games but can't get my head round exactly how it's played via Skype...I understand Toby Pilling plays this way.

TIA

sambruzs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Regarding the above...I don't play VASL, and have only one FtF regular opponent ( though I'm planning to go to tournaments in future)...my question is; how does it work exactly? I'm keen to play more games but can't get my head round exactly how it's played via Skype...I understand Toby Pilling plays this way.

TIA
I am assuming when only using Skype to play ... players use their physical game materials, Use Skype's ability to utilize your computer's camera to record what is happening on each players physical board as you play. Microphone to communicate with your opponent.. Make sense? Or.. I could be wrong..

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I am assuming when only using Skype to play ... players use their physical game materials, Use Skype's ability to utilize your computer's camera to record what is happening on each players physical board as you play. Microphone to communicate with your opponent.. Make sense? Or.. I could be wrong..
Yes, makes sense, but...setting up as a defender with Concealment...how does that work ?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
If you don't use VASL, but with physical components, you will need to use the webcam to show the map.
I would suggest that you tried VASL.

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If you don't use VASL, but with physical components, you will need to use the webcam to show the map.
I would suggest that you tried VASL.
Yes, thank you, I'm not trying VASL....hence the thread ..

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
May I ask why you don't want to use VASL?
It is the most easy way to play ASL online.

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, makes sense, but...setting up as a defender with Concealment...how does that work ?
Never did it this way but my guess would be that you would tell your opponent how many counters were under the concealment counter and then reveal them when they are stripped of concealment. You would have to write the concealed contents down like info on a HIP Sheet. That cloaking box would be helpful in this situation to keep track (Ex. ?FF = 3 counters, ?J = 2 counters, etc)

Grumblejones

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

TIA
Cardboard via Skype is super easy. You and your opponent hook up on Skype. You aim your cameras at your dice cup or dice tower. You both have the game set up with both sides pieces placed, visible or under concealment markers if appropriate. Example, you have 9-1 leader, a squad and an MMG in a location…you tell your opponent that the hex has 3 under concealment. You don’t show the map, which allows both players to set up mines, fortifications, HIP units and not forget they are in the game. You simply reveal them as they become visible to your opponent. You call out your moves as you play. It goes remarkably fast. I’ve played over 300 games this way including two CG’s. I am happy to share videos of games played by this method or jump on Skype sometime and walk you through it. Cheers!

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
With a little bit of effort you could play with VR headsets. You may or may not have legs.

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
May I ask why you don't want to use VASL?
It is the most easy way to play ASL online.
Essentially, I own one laptop which i haven't used in years, and then only for Skype and Zoom. I don't want to go down the road of getting a more powerful setup as I generally dislike looking at screens.
I'm also a bit of a technophobe, and watching VASL games on YouTube, they seem rather complex to set up.

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Cardboard via Skype is super easy. You and your opponent hook up on Skype. You aim your cameras at your dice cup or dice tower. You both have the game set up with both sides pieces placed, visible or under concealment markers if appropriate. Example, you have 9-1 leader, a squad and an MMG in a location…you tell your opponent that the hex has 3 under concealment. You don’t show the map, which allows both players to set up mines, fortifications, HIP units and not forget they are in the game. You simply reveal them as they become visible to your opponent. You call out your moves as you play. It goes remarkably fast. I’ve played over 300 games this way including two CG’s. I am happy to share videos of games played by this method or jump on Skype sometime and walk you through it. Cheers!
Thanks! Yes, that sounds great ! I'll message you if that's OK?

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since everyone LOVES the VASL dice-bot, couldn't you use VASL for the die-rolling (with all the included reminders) and not have to set up a camera?

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Essentially, I own one laptop which i haven't used in years, and then only for Skype and Zoom. I don't want to go down the road of getting a more powerful setup as I generally dislike looking at screens.
I'm also a bit of a technophobe, and watching VASL games on YouTube, they seem rather complex to set up.
It will work on your old laptop. Its super easy to setup and install, and tbh if you can watch youtube and post here it won't be a problem.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
From time to time you wanna use real dice though. I played VASL with cameras pointed to dicetowers.
Me too, I love my Battleschool Dice but also use the VASL dicebot, up to my opponent.

VASL is way better than setting up physical components, you can save the game at any point
and just start again from where you stopped. It makes it very easy to play, Dispatches from the
Bunker would not exist any longer without VASL. VASL is a way better method than what you
have to go through...

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Looks like VASL then...maybe 🤔
Thank you all for your input, much appreciated....

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If a knuckle-dragging techno-Neanderthal like me can learn VASL, anyone can. I recommend connecting with someone (on Skype maybe) who can talk you through the startup process. If your experience is anything like mine, you will soon be wondering what took you so long to take the plunge. IMO, it is still not a replacement for FTF, but the ability to play at your own convenience, store a game and come back to it days, or even weeks later, play people from all over the planet (to name just a few advantages) makes it well worth the effort.

You will find plenty of people on this forum willing to help you get started. Give it a try. :)

Grumblejones

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since everyone LOVES the VASL dice-bot, couldn't you use VASL for the die-rolling (with all the included reminders) and not have to set up a camera?
Absolutely. I played Dave Mareske once where he played over VASL and I played cardboard via Skype.