Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
TRiley said:
This is a short test to see if this thread is still active. I just spent so long composing a message that I was automatically logged out, only to find myself taken to a page that indicated that this was an invalid thread.
Not sure why that happened as I don't get that on my PC. Just to be safe in the future, if you are going to compose really long messages, I would do it on Word or Notepad, then paste it here. I usually do that anyway so I can use the spellcheck feature. But all things being equal, VBulletin is a very good piece of software.

TRiley said:
I'll say that I'm a little disappointed that the game didn't come with a published, "real world" User Guide.
You can try taking a copy of the manual .pdf file to Kinkos and let them print it for you. They can print it on double-sided paper and even put it into a spiral-bound format if you like. They can also laminate the pages to make them last longer. That will probably cost you $20-40 depending on how fancy you get with it, so it would make your TacOps investment only slightly more expensive than a similar wargame. Might be worth it if you prefer to read your hardcopy manual a lot.

This isn't an unreasonable idea as most ASL players pay $100 just for the basic rulebook and then spend hundreds more dollars doing all sorts of neat things with the rule add-ons and modules.

TRiley

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
You can try taking a copy of the manual .pdf file to Kinkos and let them print it for you. They can print it on double-sided paper and even put it into a spiral-bound format if you like. They can also laminate the pages to make them last longer. That will probably cost you $20-40 depending on how fancy you get with it, so it would make your TacOps investment only slightly more expensive than a similar wargame. Might be worth it if you prefer to read your hardcopy manual a lot.

This isn't an unreasonable idea as most ASL players pay $100 just for the basic rulebook and then spend hundreds more dollars doing all sorts of neat things with the rule add-ons and modules.
Actually, it's more than a reasonable idea. It's an excellent idea. First of all, let me apologize for the long delay in responding to your post. Life has been hectic and I haven't been back to the forum in some time.

Now, back to your idea - I like it. If only there was a Kinkos within a thousand miles of here! :) But seriously, it hadn't occurred to me to check out the possibility with a pdf file. I'm sure I can get it done here. I'll have to check it out. Once upon a time (not so long ago), such a thing would have been prohibitive in this country in terms of cost, but nowadays there's a good chance I could get this done at a reasonable rate. BTW, I think my brother did exactly as you suggested. So I'd like to thank you for the both of us.

I'm delighted right now because we'd been having trouble for the last few days figuring out how to play the game online. I figured out the modifications to make to my router setup yesterday and it works perfectly! We were on audio over MSN at the time and you could hear the shrieks from both of us! (Two otherwise perfectly reasonable adults. :))

Thanks again,
Terry

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
> We were on audio over MSN at the time and you could hear the shrieks from
> both of us! (Two otherwise perfectly reasonable adults.)

Excellent! Sounds like you are getting your money's worth. :)

TRiley

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MajorH said:
Excellent! Sounds like you are getting your money's worth. :)
That's putting it mildly!

I think I had my money's worth last week. This week, it's like getting gifts. To go further, I think this game is probably making money for me, in the sense of the money I save playing it rather than on more costly pastimes. :)