Play by Email - Getting the Game Started

bbriley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi All,

My brother and I are deciding between TacOps, Decisive Action, or Combat Command 2: Danger Forward Gold Edition. We are using the demos of TacOps and CC 2 (there is no demo of DA, from what I can see). I can use some help in getting a PBEM game going with my brother and would appreciate your help.

I used the Gallagher scenario and began the PBEM game as blue. I placed my units and issued orders, then sent the orders file to my brother. He, of course, won't have an initial game file to open, so I then - as a test - acted (as red) and began a new game as red just to see how he might receive my (blue) order. As red, I had to tell the game where to have my advancing units enter the field on the east edge. There was no other opportunity to give orders and no combat option, nor did I have the option to import blue orders 1, but I could save the red orders 1 to send back to blue.

My assumption is this following - is this correct? When I open my saved game as blue, I will then have the opportunity to import Terry's red orders and then enter a combat/movement phase? Then issue blue orders 2 and send them to him?

Here is the actual email text I just sent to my brother - is this understanding correct for the initial PBEM stage:

Terry, I just tried to start the game as if i were you (red). I opened a new pbem game as red, then went to the Gallagher scenario. I didn't have the option to do anything but place the incoming red forces along the east (right) edge of the board - no option to import orders from the blue player. It looks to me as if once you send red orders back to me, THEN I as blue can be the first player to go into the combat phase, resolve the combat, and then issue new blue orders, and then them back to you. Then on your turn two, you'll be starting a saved game and can then import all of my blue orders. I don't know.

Thank you for any help, experienced TacOps users!

Bob Riley

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
> My assumption is this following - is this correct? When I
> open my saved game as blue, I will then have the
> opportunity to import Terry's red orders and then enter a
> combat/movement phase? Then issue blue orders 2 and send
> them to him?

That is correct. Once you have saved your orders file for a "turn" then you become elligible to load the orders file from your opponent for that same "turn".

Once you get past the first orders exchange (the setup turn) and have a few more cycles under your belt, you will realize that you and your opponent are actually playing simultaneously rather than in turns.

> It looks to me as if once you send red orders back to me,
> THEN I as blue can be the first player to go into the
> combat phase, resolve the combat, and then issue new blue
> orders, and then them back to you. Then on your turn two,
> you'll be starting a saved game and can then import all of
> my blue orders.

That is not exactly how it works but its close enough for now. All will make sense after you do a couple of turns.

TacOps PBEM is much easier to do than to explain. The best approach is to just do it. However ...

Start the TacOps program in the usual way. When the Startup Window appears, select the Two Players Play-By-Mail item and also select whether you will command the Blue or the Red forces. Finally, select the appropriate item for playing either a standard scenario or a saved game. Click the OK button.

Setup your units in the usual way.

When you have finished giving orders to your units, select the File/PBM Send Orders menu item. You will be shown a standard file saving window. Accept the suggested file name or change it and then click the OK button to save your orders to disk (this file will be sent later to your opponent - you will not need your own orders file again). Once you have written your orders to a disk file, the program will not allow you to give any more orders to your units, or to change the game preference or option parameters in any way. Immediately after your orders are written to disk you will be presented with another file save window - this time it will be to save your game in progress to disk. You must preserve this saved game file. You will need it to restart the next game session if you quit TacOps between orders exchanges.

Send just the orders file to your opponent - preferably as a zipped attachmet to an email. Do not send him your saved game file.

When you receive your opponent's orders file use the File/PBM Receive Orders menu item to load your opponent's orders into the TacOps program.

Execute the Combat Phase then repeat the orders phase, save orders, save game, orders exchange, and combat phase cycle until game completion.

Once the game gets rolling - and if you trust your opponent - you will find that you can actually load and produce two orders files per session.

bbriley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you.

Hello Major H,

You wrote:

That is correct. Once you have saved your orders file for a "turn" then you become elligible to load the orders file from your opponent for that same "turn".

Once you get past the first orders exchange (the setup turn) and have a few more cycles under your belt, you will realize that you and your opponent are actually playing simultaneously rather than in turns.
Thank you for the feedback. It looks as though the rhythm of the game really kicks in after the initial setup orders by each side. Your reply was quite helpful.

I will also ask, have you played either "Decisive Action" or "Combat Command 2: Danger Forward" ? There seems to be no demo of DA but I have enjoyed the demo of CC2 (as well as TacOps to date). DA and CC2 are focused on higher level units than TacOps but otherwise are somewhat similar. CC2 has several phases of play for each side's turn. Do you have any sense of how these three games compare in terms of both pure enjoyment AND strategic thinking and planning? My brother and I will purchase one of these three for now and I am seeking any user feedback that I can.

In all events, thank you for your informative reply.

Bob Riley

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am the developer of TacOps. I do not think that it is appropriate for me to comment on the work of other developers.

bbriley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Major (retired, USMC?):

You wrote:

I am the developer of TacOps. I do not think that it is appropriate for me to comment on the work of other developers.
I apologize for not realizing this. And I again thank you for your previous, obviously well-informed, reply.

Some day, there will be no need for armed forces - but not likely at all in our lifetimes! One of my "heroes" is George C. Marshall, a military man who was able to translate his experiences into a broad vision of the world and of humanity -being a great statesman and humanitarian as Secretary of State.

Bob Riley

bbriley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow!! For Major H

This is for Major H.

My brother and I finally got the "rhythm" of the TacOps moves down pat last evening and are playing the Gallagher 6 demo. We are both so entertained AND impressed by this game!

You are to be congratulated for such an imaginative, yet realistic, small unit combat simulation which also requires such a small footprint for saved games and move orders. Once we realized that, except for the initial setup moves, there are two combat resolution and two move phases in each email turn, the game became an utter joy to engage in.

Our budgets are limited and so the next question is: is this the next game we purchase for our online competitions? I am leaning to "yes," my brother, living in Ireland, is a bit more cautious. Since there are other email opponents, I may go ahead and order it soon myself. Again, congratulations on a fine effort on this product over the years.

Bob Riley

bbriley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We bought the game from Battlefront.com

Hello Major H. and all,

I last wrote:

Our budgets are limited and so the next question is: is this the next game we purchase for our online competitions? I am leaning to "yes," my brother, living in Ireland, is a bit more cautious. Since there are other email opponents, I may go ahead and order it soon myself. Again, congratulations on a fine effort on this product over the years.
We conferred online and have been so impressed with TacOps 4 that we have ordered copies of the game from the home Battlefront site.

Thanks for all helpful feedback here.

Bob Riley

India 51B

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi, the game is indeed well worth buying. I am currently engaged in my first PBEM and am enjoying it immensley. This game, like all others, when played against a human opponent gives you much more insight into the game, more fun, and new friends, who are willing to pass on their comments and give advice in playing the game.

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
bbriley said:
We conferred online and have been so impressed with TacOps 4 that we have ordered copies of the game from the home Battlefront site.
Thanks for buying TacOps. Although you both ordered from the USA Battlefront web site, your brother's copy will probably be shipped from the European warehouse in Ireland so he should get it as quickly as you do since it won't have to go through customs. The current version of TacOps4 is v405AM. It is possible that the warehouse in Ireland will ship a slightly earlier version (maybe v405AK or v405AL). If that happens he can download the free v405AM patch from the following URL and you will then both have exactly the same version.

http://www.battlefront.com/downloads.html

bbriley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks

India 51B said:
Hi, the game is indeed well worth buying. I am currently engaged in my first PBEM and am enjoying it immensley. This game, like all others, when played against a human opponent gives you much more insight into the game, more fun, and new friends, who are willing to pass on their comments and give advice in playing the game.
Thank you. I believe there is a regular PBEM group accessed either from this bulletin board or from the board for TacOps at Battlefront.com.

My brother and I are playing but I hope that I can also find another opponent or more over time.

Bob Riley

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
We will also have a fully automated Tacops ladder running here within the coming weeks. Not only will this act as an opponents registry, but it will also keep detailed statistics on game reports, play balance for the scenarios, individual player histories, etc. Good stuff coming soon!:clap:

bbriley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
TacOps PBEM

Don Maddox said:
We will also have a fully automated Tacops ladder running here within the coming weeks. Not only will this act as an opponents registry, but it will also keep detailed statistics on game reports, play balance for the scenarios, individual player histories, etc. Good stuff coming soon!:clap:
Thank you! I look forward to it, assuming that PBEM will be an option.

Bob Riley

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
bbriley said:
Thank you! I look forward to it, assuming that PBEM will be an option.

Bob Riley
PBEM an option? :D

Bob, PBEM is usually the preferred method of play here at Warfare HQ. It's almost always the way players choose to play most wargames as it allows plenty of time for both players to do what they need to do (although I do enjoy a good Combat Mission TCP/IP once in a while).

At any rate you will be able to report PBEM games, live games, and even multiplayer games. You will not be able to report single player games as these do not meet the ladder criteria.

TRiley

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A short test

This is a short test to see if this thread is still active. I just spent so long composing a message that I was automatically logged out, only to find myself taken to a page that indicated that this was an invalid thread.

TRiley

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Your game arrived today

MajorH said:
Thanks for buying TacOps. Although you both ordered from the USA Battlefront web site, your brother's copy will probably be shipped from the European warehouse in Ireland so he should get it as quickly as you do since it won't have to go through customs. The current version of TacOps4 is v405AM. It is possible that the warehouse in Ireland will ship a slightly earlier version (maybe v405AK or v405AL). If that happens he can download the free v405AM patch from the following URL and you will then both have exactly the same version.

http://www.battlefront.com/downloads.html
Hello Major,

First of all, I don't know if you should consider yourself blessed or cursed. :p I just wrote one of the longer posts I've put together on any forum, only to find that I'd been automatically logged out and then lost the post. As long as you may find this one, believe me that it will be shorter than the one you will never see. That's the blessing. It was also filled with more effusive praise than I have written or spoken for decades, but you'll have to decide for yourself if that's the curse or not. (I should know by now to copy text before I proceed just in case of such instances.)

Your game arrived just today, which is impressive (like so much about this game) as I just ordered it on the weekend. However, the version is a little older than you anticipated in your response to my brother as it is v405AJ. So my first question is, can I proceed directly to using the patch for v405AM, or do I need to use an interim patch first, to update the game to a more recent version, prior to applying the latest patch?

Before I pile on the praise (and there's plenty of it), I'll say that I'm a little disappointed that the game didn't come with a published, "real world" User Guide. Perhaps it's because I sit in front of a computer all day long, but I find it difficult to actually read manuals (or any "literature" beyond articles) on screen. Is it possible to acquire a physical, published version of the User Guide? I will happily pay whatever extra is required to order a Manual.

Now comes the gab and compliments, over which you can happily exercise your pagedown finger if you wish without any offense, as I can become longwinded at times (less so the second time around!).

But I feel that once and only once, it's worth writing a little extra, to give you the compliment I think you deserve - which is to elaborate on how much tacops impresses me.

As a short (relatively) background, I don't normally play games on computers and haven't done so for years. Very recently, I've permitted myself to get drawn into sampling some games I could play with my brother (whom you've "met"), mostly as a way to strengthen the bond between siblings. We tried and purchased Panzer General II, which we enjoy. We tried and purchased TOAW Elite Edition, only to find it won't run on Windows 2000 or Windows XP. My brother continued to ply me with ideas and links to demos, but frankly, I wasn't terribly interested. However I did download your demo and late one night decided to work myself through the tutorial.

From that point on, I was hooked. Wow! What a game! (Mind you, I was feeling pretty pleased with myself in my first solitaire game after knocking out almost twice as many men (or "lethality" factors) as I even started with in total, until another ARMADA of Red tanks came rolling across the plains at me!)

But what really turned the trick for me was the first PBEM game I played with Bob. (And I don't even know if we're playing it correctly, two sets of orders at a time.) I received Blue orders #1, opened the scenario, issue orders and saved Red Orders #1, ran the battle phase, then issued and saved Red orders #2. I sent Red orders #1 and #2 to Bob, he replied with Blue orders #2 and #3, I proceeded with Red orders #3 and #4, and so on and we're still at it.

The truly impressive aspect of this game (bearing in mind that I haven't played one of the custom scenarios yet), to me, is the ingenuity - dare I say "genius" - in the approach to and design of the PBEM game. The delayed orders approach, which is so lifelike, and which allows moves to go back and forth while still permitting simultaneous battle AND still keeping the game moving right along is truly, truly impressive. No, I don't think "genius" is too strong a word.

I can't stress this enough. I have always been a terrible letter writer, and this trait continued into the practice of email exchange. (Bob can vouch for this.) And yet, I find myself waiting daily for the next sets of orders so I can instantly sit down and issue my orders, to hasten an email right back. I would not have imagined the possibility that something could get me to diligently correspond on a daily basis (or weekly or even monthly, frankly).

Everything impresses me about this game. From the small footprint to the very small filesizes of attachments to the ease of play (without limiting the seemingly endless possibilities of complexity) to the structure that for all practical purposes makes it virtually impossible to "screw up" the sequence of play. Even the naming convention the game employs is impressive - simplicity itself, which is always the sign of real inventiveness and ingenuity. Furthermore, to just add to the list, I'm impressed by the distribution, the reasonableness of price, and the fact that the game designer will actually communicate personally with his customers.

In short, everything about your game impresses me. You richly deserve as much credit as can be conceived (and, no doubt, your assistants, assuming you have them).

I don't remember when I ordered, how many languages this game was available in, but I hope you can spread the game across the globe. In fact, if I can ever offer you any free advice on that front, I'd be more than glad to do so. (If I can suffer through HP manuals and posters for days on end in 25 languages, it would be a relief to make some small contribution toward the furtherance of such an enjoyable pastime.)

Mainly, however, everthing I want to say can be summed up very briefly. Thank you. Thank for for this game and for the hours of delight you have provided me. Thank you for your cleverness and ingenuity.

(PS. That's what I meant when I said I wanted to say a "little extra". :) )

Terry Riley

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
> Your game arrived just today ... v405AJ. So my first
> question is, can I proceed directly to using the patch for
> v405AM.

Yes - the v405AM patch package is all inclusive for all previous versions of TacOps4.

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
> I'll say that I'm a little disappointed that the game didn't
> come with a published, "real world" User Guide. ... Is it
> possible to acquire a physical, published version of the
> User Guide?

Sorry but there hasn't been a hardcopy TacOps manual since Arsenal Publishing (my first publisher) went under in 97. The PDF format documentation is one of the reasons for the lower than customary price of TacOps ($25 + S&H).

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
> But what really turned the trick for me was the first PBEM
> game I played with Bob. (And I don't even know if we're
> playing it correctly, two sets of orders at a time.)

It sounds as if you are doing it correctly. Once you get past the setup turn, it is normal to execute two one minute combat phases and to produce two PBEM orders files per sitting.

> I find myself waiting daily for the next sets of orders so I
> can instantly sit down and issue my orders, to hasten an
> email right back.

A good number of PBEM fans like to have two or three games going at the same time with different opponents. That produces about an hour of entertainment each night, which is just about right to avoid marital discord.

> ... your assistants, assuming you have them

No, it is a one man operation except that Battlefront takes care of the retail/nonmilitary marketing, the ordering proces, and order fulfillment. I even do my own CD duplication and inking. The lack of employees, partners, and middlemen provide most of the other reasons for the low price of TacOps. The subsidy from recent military contracts also helps. :)

>I don't remember when I ordered, how many languages this game was
>available in,

TacOps4 is currently only available in English. The retail version of TacOps3 had a working optional French user interface and documentation but that was because the Canadian Army had provided free translation support for its concurrent military version of TacOps3. One could switch between English and French with a single mouse click. So much changed between v3 and v4 that I needed to rewrite the user guide but there were not enough French speaking customers to justify paying for a new translation. Also I got more military work after v3 and I didn't really have the time to mess with it so I just disabled the French language interface.

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>Now comes the gab and compliments, over which you can happily exercise
>your pagedown finger if you wish without any offense, as I can become
>longwinded at times (less so the second time around!).

Now why would I want to do that? In fact, I poured myself some coffee and happily reread your far too short note several times. I expect that I'll feature it in tonight's evening briefing for the wife. :)

TRiley

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you for all the replies, MajorH.

I fetched the patch you pointed to in an earlier post, thank you.

The fact that you do this by yourself is just all the more impressive. Did you do all the programming also? Programming isn't easy by any stretch of the imagination (and, yes, I do know), but very few indeed can program for both MAC and PC.

You can tell your wife I meant every word. I could wax on poetically (and mostly not-so-poetically) about your creativity, ingenuity, initiative, skill and discipline for pages, but I'd better not lest your wife appear on the forum to remind me that she has to live with you. :)

I add "discipline" because I don't know how the day has enough hours for you. It's all I can do to manage several hours of work and get the dogs out for a while and then fed. Maybe I should have added "stamina" to that list.

Well, I've got to get some Blue orders, so 'nuff said. Thanks again.