Platoon Movement and entry on/after

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
A side has four AFVs that use Platoon Movement, but these AFVs can enter on/after turn 1. Can those vehicles enter one at a time, e.g. on turns 1, 2, 3 & 4, or does the requirement that "An offboard radioless AFV must use Platoon Movement if possible" [D14.212] force the side to enter the AFVs in pairs?

JR

buser333

Reaction score
A side has four AFVs that use Platoon Movement, but these AFVs can enter on/after turn 1. Can those vehicles enter one at a time, e.g. on turns 1, 2, 3 & 4, or does the requirement that "An offboard radioless AFV must use Platoon Movement if possible" [D14.212] force the side to enter the AFVs in pairs?

JR
Platoon vehicles must always enter as a platoon so they must enter at least in pairs.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Since a platoon can partly enter (D14.212), if the scenario allow entry broken over several turns, you can enter a platoon partially/incrementally.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

JR
By entering them two at at time, they use Platoon Movement.

Since you as commanding Pooba have that option, I think you can make their Platoon Movement possible when they are Offboard.

Rich

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
By entering them two at at time, they use Platoon Movement.

Since you as commanding Pooba have that option, I think you can make their Platoon Movement possible when they are Offboard.
I can, but by the rules, must I?

JR

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I think you can come in one at a time (per turn) and still be considered using Platoon Movement, as long as the scenario allows it.

14.212 OFFBOARD MOVEMENT:
A platoon may have partly entered or exited the playing area at the end of an Impulse (even the last Impulse of their MPh, unless disallowed by A2.5) if they meet all Platoon Movement requirements (for the purposes of 14.21, LOS may be traced to/from an offboard unit).

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pretty sure they can come onboard one at a time. The first one enters, the second (or more) remain off-board but remain in Platoon Movement status; then in the next MP impulse the next one either enters the board/playing area or remains off-board, though still employing Platoon Movement. That is to say, I do not believe they have to enter on board all in the same impulse (or even the same turn), but must still be part of that Platoon unless released by other factors. As to entering on different turns, I believe yes they can, but must still utilize Platoon Movement status to do so and must conform to turn of entry requirements. Perhaps a Q&A in the offing for clarification?

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I think you might need a Q&A on this.
If you enter sepera tell, do you take a TC prior to entry as a non platoon? Do you take one on entry a la straying?

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I don't think you are allowed to enter separa tell de la non-mouvement . :jig:

D14.212 ...An offboard radioless AFV must use Platoon Movement if possible.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
14.212 OFFBOARD MOVEMENT: A platoon may have partly entered or exited the playing area at the end of an Impulse (even the last Impulse of their MPh, unless disallowed by A2.5) if they meet all Platoon Movement requirements (for the purposes of 14.21, LOS may be traced to/from an offboard unit).
Wow! After a several year hiatus of not doing so, this is why I am in the process of re-reading the rulebook this year. Good stuff!

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
I think you might need a Q&A on this.
If you enter sepera tell, do you take a TC prior to entry as a non platoon? Do you take one on entry a la straying?
This is covered by the rules: Only radioless AFVs that are onboard have to make a TC (D14.23). This is important for those cruel scenarios that give you only a lone radioless AFV that enters from offboard (those exist, I played one recently).

For the greater topic at hand: My interpretation is that it is allowed to only set up one radioless AFV during the RPh. In the MPh, it is not possible for this AFV to use platoon movement, so it is allowed to move without.

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
14.212 OFFBOARD MOVEMENT: A platoon may have partly entered or exited the playing area at the end of an Impulse (even the last Impulse of their MPh, unless disallowed by A2.5) if they meet all Platoon Movement requirements (for the purposes of 14.21, LOS may be traced to/from an offboard unit).
But there is the "... unless disallowed by A2.5". If a platoon is setup to enter on a certain turn, it has to enter on that turn.

Last edited:

buser333

Reaction score
I believe the key is D14.23 where the first sentence says "Radioless AFV need not set up in platoons onboard..."
This is not my italics, it is written in the rules that way.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I believe the key is D14.23 where the first sentence says "Radioless AFV need not set up in platoons onboard..."
But you must contrast this with D14.22 they must enter using platoon movement if possible.

buser333

Reaction score
But you must contrast this with D14.22 they must enter using platoon movement if possible.
Exactly. I did not make myself very clear, but I am going back to my original post and just reiterating that they must enter as a platoon. Taken in conjunction with all the other platoon rules, this rule indicates to me they must set up in platoons offboard.

Last edited:

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
That bothered me, too. It could be interpreted that you have to set up in platoons offboard, but for me, that's kind of a stretch.
It might also be in italics to stress what is stated in the second part of the sentence, that only onboard radioless AFVs have to make a NTC to move.

At the moment, I would allow my opponent to set up a lone radioless AFV in his RPh. The counter arguments haven't convinced me yet, although I have doubts.

I posted a Q to MMP, so you don't have to do it.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
And the answer is in:

A side has four radioless AFVs that can enter on/after turn 1. Can they
enter one at a time, e.g. on turns 1, 2, 3 & 4?

A side has two radioless AFVs that have to enter on turn 1. Do they have
to set up as a platoon?
Perry said:
Yes to both.