Platoon Move and Smoke Grenades

Ralph Malf

***** Veteran
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My three Platoon-Moving CE Russian T-26 tanks want to throw vehicular smoke grenades as they move.
  1. Do they take one combined dr and place one grenade if successful?
  2. Do they take one combined dr and place three grenades if successful?
  3. Do they take three separate drs to see which tank(s) were successful?
  4. If they can take three separate drs, can these tanks try for the smoke grenades in different Impulses to possibly place them in different hexes?
Thanks in advance,
Rick

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Attempts are per vehicle, so your #4 is closest. A smoke grenade attempt by one vehicle does not necessitate same upon the others in that (or any subsequent) Impulse.

Don't try to extrapolate from D14.21. Just use D13.35, bearing in mind that a smoke grenade placement potentially (but not necessarily) increases the MP cost of an Impulse for all vehicles.

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would say 3 or 4 are valid.

For example during an Impulse tanks A and C can each attempt a smoke grenade placement (1 MP if successful) while tank B enters an OG hex (1MP) so the platoon will have spent 1MP for that entire impulse. Later in the same MPh tank B could try for smoke grenades while tank A enters an OG hex and tank C changes its CA (all for 1MP that impulse).

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think that the better question is whether the platoon can see the outcome of the smoke roll -- whether successful or not -- to decide whether and how the rest or whole platoon decides to move or not move. As Wayne says, the roll may not result in the platoon expending MF.

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think that the better question is whether the platoon can see the outcome of the smoke roll -- whether successful or not -- to decide whether and how the rest or whole platoon decides to move or not move. As Wayne says, the roll may not result in the platoon expending MF.
I would say that like a lot of other actions, you have to declare what each tank in the platoon is doing as part of the current impulse before you make any dr/DR to see what the result (smoke grenade placement, Bog, etc.)

Of course this could be gamed a little by declaring tank A is attempting smoke grenade placement while tanks B and C are doing nothing. If the attempt succeeds the impulse costs 1MP, if it fails the impulse costs 0MP and in either case tanks B and C could make attempts later in the MPh.

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
... you have to declare what each tank in the platoon is doing as part of the current impulse before you make any dr/DR ...
Typically so, re stacks. Not so, re Impulse movers.
eASLRB said:
D14.31 IMPULSE: ... Units using Impulse Movement do not need to predesignate their actions ...

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting I missed that.

That would allow a player to declare a smoke placement attempt for the first tank in a platoon and if it fails declare the other units will do nothing and the impulse costs 0MP.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Interesting I missed that.

That would allow a player to declare a smoke placement attempt for the first tank in a platoon and if it fails declare the other units will do nothing and the impulse costs 0MP.
Does an unsuccessful smoke grenade placement attempt cost movement?

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Sure, infantry can wait.
Also, Shooting from a Platoon doesn't require commitment from the other tanks to shoot.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
D13.35 says placing Smoke Grenades use "the same rules as attempting to fire a Smoke Dispenser", and D13.2 says "there is no MP cost for a usage attempt which fails to result in the smoke dispenser being fired". So, no, it only costs MP if the Smoke Grenade usage dr is successful.

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sure, infantry can wait.
They can if they are using impulse movement but not if they are moving as a stack. A4.2 last sentence:
Units moving as a stack expend MF simultaneously and need
not spend MF for the same purpose, but must designate at the same time all
actions for the same MF.