Planetside 2

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This seems shockingly early:

Planetside Next planned for release early this year

Sony Online Entertainment president John Smedley has revealed that the sequel to Planetside is set to be released before summer this year.

Speaking to Eurogamer, Smedley said “”We’ve announced publicly that the game is in development and we haven’t announced a release date for it but you can expect it… We’re looking at late first-quarter, early second-quarter [2011].”

This tallies with Smedley’s announcement back in December, when he said “we have a very big launch coming in the month of March. It’s a big first person shooter franchise that we’re really happy with.” Smedley has also previously revealed that a beta is planned before the release of the game, the first slots for which will be offered to current Planetside subscribers. Beyond that, little has been revealed about the sequel, except that it promises to have “Massive battles on a scale no other FPS will touch.”
It makes me suspicious that with such an early release on the horizon, there has been no hard info released about this game.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Planetside Next by Summer?

Good lord... "Massive battles on a scael no other FPS will touch." .... Um.. did that guy play PS when it was first released before SOE started their nerf fest? The battles were massive, they were epic, and I have yet to come across anything remotely CLOSE to what that was.

And well Scott, afaik, one of the most common rumors I've encountered has been that they are simply re-releasing Planetside one (whatever that means). As currently (I went on about 1-1 1/2 to 2 years ago), anything relating to large battles had disappeared and it was down to 2 servers (the European and one American) I believe. And if they have been hard at work attempting to recreate Planetside's early greatness, then I sorely hope they release videos, screenshots, and other whatnot. My only gripe is that they actually listen to the players if they really do release PS2.

Didn't much care for these:
View attachment 32316

We wanted F*****g cities or towns or better bases and not some friggen caves with shiny ziplines!:
View attachment 32314

And taking part in cont. raids where the raiding force was as large or larger than this were sorely missed once the devs inacted nerf fests, BFR's, and Caves:
View attachment 32315

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

"beat" just joined today & has posted a lot of nonsense replies - so probably is one.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

He/it has used a few sentences of mine from my big post above in a few other threads so I figured he/it might be.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

From Blues News:

PlanetSide 2 Announcement This Week

PlanetSide2.com has a countdown timer at about two days and counting, and a new PlanetSide 2 Facebook Page saves us any math issues by promising an announcement on July 7 (Thursday) at 7:00 pm PDT. The meta description on the website offers more: "PlanetSide 2 is the only first person shooter that delivers truly epic, massive combat on a scale never before seen in stunning, breathtaking detail. Be a part of explosive action in a futuristic world with forces ranging from tactical squads to thousand player armies all taking place in real-time on enormous open-world continents." Thanks PlanetSide Universe.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

They said the saaaame crap about Planetside. It should read, "Be apart of epic battles from tactical squads to thousands of players like the original Planetside. We will try to emulate the early successes of the series and add more to it for both veteran and new players of the franchise. Bases and towers have a more unique feel to them than the original cookie-cutter bases and towers from the first Planetside. Battle in urban, subterranean, aerial, and even aquatic settings all on enormous continents and three forces, the New Conglomerate, Vanu Sovereignty, and the Terran Republic battle for supremacy..... again."

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

A feature update has been posted over at PC Gamer:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/07/08/planetside-2-what-we-know-so-far/

What ya think? I find it interesting that comparisons to EvE Online are now being made.
Okay... so there are some things I like and don't like and somethings that became obvious right away with the first game.

Here are some things that I have some opinion on:

Skills, also called certifications, are trained very similarly to EVE Online (over time, and continuing while you’re offline), but also go faster when you’re actively playing. - They already had certs which the played used to purchase armor classes, weapons, perks, etc. The idea of having them "train" overtime sounds kinda stupid tho since it's an FPS and it should only be active while online. Never played EVE but it sounds like a silly idea to me.

Outfits (clans) will have separate skill trees to unlock and specialize with as well. - Really interested in seeing what this turns out to be. I played with a few of the best outfits in Planetside and this seems like a great way to reward the better organized outfits.

A leader is as viable as a role as a scout, healer, tank, assassin, or vehicle pilot. - This and the idea of a single large server are common sense. The original game was already merging servers within months of the release and now I hear they're down to one single server.

There is currently no plans to allow players to jack other faction’s vehicles with the Hacking skill. We hope they change this, but it sounds unlikely. - Really?? What are these people... stupid? That was a great thing to see on the battlefield when the armor coming to your rescue was their main battle tank all dolled up in your colors. Same goes for the BFG's. I don't understand why not implement this?

Unlike PS, you can capture any territory at any time, but you do get “significant bonuses” to capturing a territory adjacent to your own. The example given was that someone back-capping a territory way behind the front lines may need 30 minutes to capture, whereas the team that controls all the territories around that one can go take it in 30 seconds. - Already had this implemented to some degree.

Expect to see a lot of influence from top modern shooters, which Smedley frequently referred to when discussing how PlanetSide 2 has changed from its original–at least when it comes to FPS mechanics. One small feature borrowed: a skill that lets you spawn on your teammates, instead of at a spawn location or on leaders only. - This is probably the worst idea for a game like Planetside. First off, it just ruins teamwork and will just piss people off if your defending a base. Forward spawn locations, towers, bases, all allowed for tactics and strategy. When Planetside was in its heyday this idea would have upset just about everyone. If you were near a base and you lost your forward spawn tough. You had to regroup at the nearest location and try a different strategy. This isn't PlanetModernWarfare. It's worthless and just feels like they're already headed down the path of the first one imo.

With SOE taking inspiration from modern shooters, I bet some sort of kill streak mechanic will be worked in. - They implemented a way to track your kills and deaths during every in-game period you were online. It also tracked how long you were on and how much XP you gained. No need for stupid killstreak ideas. Some ideas are best left in the garbage. I wonder if these guys played Planetside before SOE killed it?

Unlike PS, you can capture any territory at any time, but you do get “significant bonuses” to capturing a territory adjacent to your own. The example given was that someone back-capping a territory way behind the front lines may need 30 minutes to capture, whereas the team that controls all the territories around that one can go take it in 30 seconds. - This was sort of already implemented. However, I liked that continents were locked if a faction captured every location. That meant that the other factions had to capture bases at other continents or form up for a raid through the only way in. It allowed for strategy and some epic battles. The back-capping thing was already in. It was slow and you usually needed at least a platoon to successfully pull off a back-hack.

Lastly this is SOE. They outright killed the original Planetside game within about a year. They listened to all the whiny players who didn't understand how to use their heads to play. Didn't listen when everyone begged/pleaded for unique bases and cities and towns. They nerfed a ton of weapons and unbalanced the game constantly. An example was you could kill and infiltrator with one shot from a sniper rifle if you shot them. The last time I played, you had to use 2 shots to do so. I really hope that SOE does not do the same and does re-implement some of the pre-nerfing and expansion ideas.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

New vid:

[video=youtube;rUeRQSRMiFc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUeRQSRMiFc[/video]

PS2 is looking like my dream sci-fi shooter game!

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Demo footage!

[video=youtube;KSXXEOJUcG0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSXXEOJUcG0[/video]

and

[video=youtube;KrA3LAAIOc4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrA3LAAIOc4[/video]

and

[video=youtube;rmWyIMXJEiI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmWyIMXJEiI[/video]

and

[video=youtube;ikSRA46-Ug8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikSRA46-Ug8[/video]

This is looking really good. DUST 514 might have some stiff competition.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Still looking to be a great MMOFPS!

[video=youtube;SIE42ZfdKbI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIE42ZfdKbI[/video]

This could be the game that gets me to upgrade my rig. :)

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States

It does look interesting. I'm a fan of really huge environments.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Love the look of the facilities! Hopefully they're not so cut-and-paste like they were in the first one. The added urban-esque combat that went on when they stormed the base was a very pleasant thing to see.

Not sure if I like the idea of the MBT's being driven by one person, I hope that they only did that for the beta. Also the kill cam looks like a waste of effort and time it's honestly NOT something I'd like to see in the final version of PS2.

The regions concept on the map looks interesting. I wonder if it's their way of making people fight over more of the terrain of the continents. In the original you'd be moving across the continent and bump into an enemy force trying to block your advance or counterattack. The regions thingy might negate that fog of war feel that Planetside had. But since it's in the early stages we shall wait and see. Sadly they appear to have no official forums up which is a bummer.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Not sure if I like the idea of the MBT's being driven by one person, I hope that they only did that for the beta.
I hope it remains in the full game. Multi-person requirements for vehicles is one of those ideas that looks great on paper but never works in actual gameplay. Instead, you wind up with one guy trying to do the work of three people anyway, or having a bunch of vehicles sitting unused because most people are reluctant to team up with strangers. Keep it like BC2 - one person is fine, but extra people can help.

This vid of an alpha session continues to make me think P2 is going to be a hit:

[video=youtube;x6HgC6Exs0U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6HgC6Exs0U[/video]

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I hope it remains in the full game. Multi-person requirements for vehicles is one of those ideas that looks great on paper but never works in actual gameplay. Instead, you wind up with one guy trying to do the work of three people anyway, or having a bunch of vehicles sitting unused because most people are reluctant to team up with strangers. Keep it like BC2 - one person is fine, but extra people can help.
Not to damper your spirits but multi-person vehicles were a must and almost always fully crewed in Planetside. Most of the runts that play nowadays want the get fast orgasm method and would rather drive and gun a vehicle themselves. I do in the Darkest Hour mod for Red Orchestra because well... idiots do abound. However, teamwork is a must in a game like Planetside, and getting people into multiple positions in a vehicle wasn't very hard. People realized very quickly that you advanced faster in rank when running with a squad and also... well.. it wouldn't be hard to wipe the floor with you if you ran into a half-decent squad. Same went for vehicles. One person focused on driving while the gunners and passengers (depending on the class and vehicle type) fought off enemies or called out enemies or traded stories. Plus, it'd be very difficult to ward off reavers when it's just you driving and gunning. Hence his mini speech made around 14:25.

I wonder if they'll add a way to shut off the jump pads so the defenders suffer handicaps. Also the sanctuaries were already functioning like safe zones in the original. They'd only work like that well on the home continent if they include that aspect.

And I must agree, I am a Terran at heart as well. I hate the NC with a passion and want to purge the VS of their corrupted alien ways.