Plague hits World of Warcraft!!

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
This has to be the most bizarre "news" story I have ever read...

A deadly virtual plague has broken out in the online game World of Warcraft.

Although limited to only a few of the game's servers the numbers of characters that have fallen victim is thought to be in the thousands.

Originally it was thought that the deadly digital disease was the result of a programming bug in a location only recently added to the Warcraft game.

However, it now appears that players kicked off the plague and then kept it spreading after the first outbreak.

Deadly plague hits Warcraft world

Dr. S.

Patrocles

Reaction score
Wild! I thought this was a joke at first! haha

It is not fair that the AI characters are unaffected!! AI corpses should be littering the ground, too.

Is it possible to loot the bodies of the dead?

Plenty of work for priests (do they have those in WoW?) and funeral homes!

man, i need to go skim some WoW websites for more info!

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just had the mental image of some gas masked soldiers chaising down the characters like in most B-Movies that deal with plauge. :laugh:

Cpt. Bonez

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I heard about that. None of my friends' accounts have been affected, but I would hate to have a level 60 or whatever whiped out.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cpt. Bonez said:
I heard about that. None of my friends' accounts have been affected, but I would hate to have a level 60 or whatever whiped out.
I was thinking, Why not just not log on untill they plague has been stoped.

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
the_redstar_swl said:
I was thinking, Why not just not log on untill they plague has been stoped.
Because they are addicted. :)

It is a disease, I'm serious. My sister got it about a month ago - so far she has played over 280 hours. 85% of the time I see of her outside of school she is on it.
:dead:

Cpt. Bonez

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
gobeavs said:

It is a disease, I'm serious. My sister got it about a month ago - so far she has played over 280 hours. 85% of the time I see of her outside of school she is on it.
280 hours?!?!?! That's over 11 days!!! :surprise:

mr_clark

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Closer two 12 then 11, actually.

Shows me that gobeavs' sister doesn't actually has much to do for school :p

Jon@lbc

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
gobeavs said:

280 hours? How old is your sister :halo:
My friend is dating someone he met in WoW.

sickpup

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cpt. Bonez said:
280 hours?!?!?! That's over 11 days!!! :surprise:
That's nothing chief. I know some folks who have pushed past the 30 day mark. 30 honking days of playing time... I'm pretty sure I even hit 13 day mark back when I was playing it.

Patrocles

Reaction score
sickpup said:
That's nothing chief. I know some folks who have pushed past the 30 day mark. 30 honking days of playing time... I'm pretty sure I even hit 13 day mark back when I was playing it.
pardon my ignorance, but how does that breakdown into hours/day? 30 days sounds like a lot of time...but I don't know how long WoW has been active.
thanks!

sickpup

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Patrocles said:
pardon my ignorance, but how does that breakdown into hours/day? 30 days sounds like a lot of time...but I don't know how long WoW has been active.
thanks!
Ehh, I guess WoW has been up and running for nearly a year now. When you log in and begin playing a character, the server keeps track of how much time your spending. It doesn't really care what you're doing (chatting with friends, shopping for a new sword, killing monsters, adventuring or completing quests, etc) all it does is keep track of the amount of time that you're logged in. So, if I played four times per week, for two hours at a time, at the end of the first week of play I would have 8 hours of time played. After three weeks of this routine, I would have 1 day of time played.

So, when someone says they've logged 280 hours of playing time, that's 280 hours of sitting in front of the pc and actually playing the game.

Additionally, the time played is logged for each character. Most players in WoW have one or two main characters and a handful of lesser characters that they play when they want a taste of something different. So, a player might have 280 hours of play time for their main character, and then 75 hours for their second character and perhaps 24 hours for their third, etc, for a total of 379 total hours. However, the game doesn't tally these up (probably for fear of depressing its players:) ). The 'total time played' stat is only available on a per-character basis.

Patrocles

Reaction score
sickpup said:
Ehh, I guess WoW has been up and running for nearly a year now. When you log in and begin playing a character, the server keeps track of how much time your spending. It doesn't really care what you're doing (chatting with friends, shopping for a new sword, killing monsters, adventuring or completing quests, etc) all it does is keep track of the amount of time that you're logged in. So, if I played four times per week, for two hours at a time, at the end of the first week of play I would have 8 hours of time played. After three weeks of this routine, I would have 1 day of time played.

So, when someone says they've logged 280 hours of playing time, that's 280 hours of sitting in front of the pc and actually playing the game.

Additionally, the time played is logged for each character. Most players in WoW have one or two main characters and a handful of lesser characters that they play when they want a taste of something different. So, a player might have 280 hours of play time for their main character, and then 75 hours for their second character and perhaps 24 hours for their third, etc, for a total of 379 total hours. However, the game doesn't tally these up (probably for fear of depressing its players:) ). The 'total time played' stat is only available on a per-character basis.
copy that! thanks for the info!

true, i didn't think of it as 30 DAYS! spent in front a computer screen whilst logged onto WoW! man, a whole month out of a year spent on one game! i hope they like it!
:laugh:

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Eh, I've probably spent 30 days worth of time on this forum... :argh: