Pittsburg Steelers

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are the Pittsburg Steelers the "worse team in football", like there QB stated to the press?

Also, I think the "Magic" of the NE Patriots has probably run its course with the injuries incurred in Sunday's game against the Atlanta Falcons.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Are the Pittsburg Steelers the "worse team in football", like there QB stated to the press?

Also, I think the "Magic" of the NE Patriots has probably run its course with the injuries incurred in Sunday's game against the Atlanta Falcons.
No. The worst team is the Jags. Are PIT & NYG in trouble? Yes but they are far from the worst. (TB is pretty bad too.)

JOKippe

Also known as The Rat
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Regardless of how they look on paper, all 0-4 teams are equally bad. No team can do worse than 0-4 after 4 games. So, the real question is which of these teams can turn it around and make respectable seasons out of it.

I would guess the Giants can...they have a good coach, a good quarterback (assuming he stops throwing so many interceptions!) and decent talent here and there. The Steelers, on the other hand, have been in a decline for several years, and it might require a different approach (and by that, I mean a coaching change...Tomlin just seems wacky recently) to stop the free-fall. Meanwhile, the Bucs are taking steps that certainly can't make things worse there, and the Jags--well, there's not much hope there for a good while (sure, sign just-released Josh Freeman, huh huh!)

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Steelers, on the other hand, have been in a decline for several years, and it might require a different approach (and by that, I mean a coaching change...Tomlin just seems wacky recently) to stop the free-fall.
The Steelers were using band-aids all last year ( They lost what 4 of the last 5 and then NO pre-season wins this year)

You can only 're-load' so much, especially when the star bullets (Pouncey, DeCastro) are injury prone. I agree they need to start using the word 're-building' . Either that or actually start paying FAs, at least their own-- something they've never been too keen on.

As a Browns fan, I 'd love it if they take their time with it and just mull around confused for a while. Someone else can have the basement of the AFC North.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Regardless of how they look on paper, all 0-4 teams are equally bad. No team can do worse than 0-4 after 4 games.
You can be 0-4 and still be in every game or you can be the Jags:

PIT vs TEN 9-16, vs CIN 10-20, vs CHI 23-40, vs MIN 27-34 (in 3 games)
TB vs NYJ 17-18, vs NO 14-16, vs NE 3-23, vs ARZ 10-13 (in 3 games)
NYG vs DAL 31-36, vs DEN 23-41, vs CAR 0-38, vs KC 7-31 (in 1 game)
JAX vs KC 2-28, vs OAK 9-19, vs SEA 17-45, vs IND 3-37 (was never really in any of them)

JOKippe

Also known as The Rat
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You can be 0-4 and still be in every game or you can be the Jags:

PIT vs TEN 9-16, vs CIN 10-20, vs CHI 23-40, vs MIN 27-34 (in 3 games)
TB vs NYJ 17-18, vs NO 14-16, vs NE 3-23, vs ARZ 10-13 (in 3 games)
NYG vs DAL 31-36, vs DEN 23-41, vs CAR 0-38, vs KC 7-31 (in 1 game)
JAX vs KC 2-28, vs OAK 9-19, vs SEA 17-45, vs IND 3-37 (was never really in any of them)
Yep, but raw scores by themselves don't always tell a whole lot more than W-L records. A more accurate method would take into account the opponents' quality. I'm not going to spend a lot of time crunching numbers, so I'll instead go with a quick method that uses the simple W-L records of the opponents:

TB opponents' combined W-L records (OCR) after Week 4: 12-4. (Also, if we subtract the opponents' 4 wins against TB, and they are 8-4.)
JAX OCR: 12-4 (8-4)
NYG OCR: 11-4 (7-4)

And PITT's OCR: 9-7 (5-7)!
This is probably what Big Ben's point was. It's hard to blame a poor team like JAX being 0-4 when they played two 4-0s and a 3-1 team. But PITT's 4 opponents were a good bit weaker than the other three 0-4 teams'. Plus, PITT lost to an 0-3 team on neutral ground, and Big Ben knows in his heart what looking deeper inside the numbers might show...the Steelers are as pathetic as any other 0-4 team at this point.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well,

The Steelers may still have a chance to "blow it all" for the number #1 pick next year....

Johnnie Football may be available for them.....

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Yep, but raw scores by themselves don't always tell a whole lot more than W-L records. A more accurate method would take into account the opponents' quality. I'm not going to spend a lot of time crunching numbers, so I'll instead go with a quick method that uses the simple W-L records of the opponents:

TB opponents' combined W-L records (OCR) after Week 4: 12-4. (Also, if we subtract the opponents' 4 wins against TB, and they are 8-4.)
JAX OCR: 12-4 (8-4)
NYG OCR: 11-4 (7-4)

And PITT's OCR: 9-7 (5-7)!
This is probably what Big Ben's point was. It's hard to blame a poor team like JAX being 0-4 when they played two 4-0s and a 3-1 team. But PITT's 4 opponents were a good bit weaker than the other three 0-4 teams'. Plus, PITT lost to an 0-3 team on neutral ground, and Big Ben knows in his heart what looking deeper inside the numbers might show...the Steelers are as pathetic as any other 0-4 team at this point.
That's a good point but JAX got beaten like a red-headed step-child by 3 good teams. They were never even in the games. Vegas hasn't even had the games close, even for the Raiders who were favored by more than 3. An even game the home team gets 3. JAX is on pace for a historically awful season. They are on pace to finish somewhere between the 76 Bucs and the 08 Lions http://espn.go.com/blog/jacksonville-jaguars/post/_/id/1042/jaguars-not-interested-in-punch-lines?ex_cid=espnapi_public .

PIT's opponents were TEN (ok offense, good defense), CIN (good offense, above avg defense), CHI (above avg offense, great defense) & MIN (poor offense under Ponder, much better under Cassel & they have AP, poor defense).

JOKippe

Also known as The Rat
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Take the points!
Final score: DEN 35 JAX 19.
Anytime a NFL spread is over 21, just take the points. There are a lot of reasons for this, but it really doesn't have a lot to do with the teams involved, and that's what everyone seemed to be focused on.

And PITT finally wins a game...they're no longer the "worst" team, just a bad one now.

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeha - that was a pretty disheartening loss ofr the NYJ - but our rookie QB is still learning the ropes and I expect ups adn downs this season. just hope Rex can garner enough wins to save his job!

And it must be nice to be a Boston fan this morning - both the Pats and the Sox pulled off late rallies for miracle wins.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Final score: DEN 35 JAX 19.
Anytime a NFL spread is over 21, just take the points. There are a lot of reasons for this, but it really doesn't have a lot to do with the teams involved, and that's what everyone seemed to be focused on.

And PITT finally wins a game...they're no longer the "worst" team, just a bad one now.
That's why I don't gamble. Not only for points but even straight up. Who would've thought STL would go into HOU and put a beatdown on them? Who would've thought PIT would go to NYJ and beat them down after they just went to ATL and beat them up? Who would've thought CIN would blow a 14 point lead in BUF to a QB from the practice squad? Etc, etc, etc.

I would rather have something to eat or that I can enjoy like a DVD or game or something than give my money away.

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow.
I think we're really seeing who's good, and who stinks on ice.
Gotta be a rough season for New York fans.
If I were a gambling man, which I'm not for the exact reasons
Psycho stated above, I'd still be betting on a Seattle/Denver Super Bowl.
They both look exceptional.
Still got 10 games to go though, it's gonna be a long season for a
bunch of teams.

JOKippe

Also known as The Rat
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's why I don't gamble. Not only for points but even straight up..
Actually, betting straight-up is pretty easy. For example, only 4 underdogs won this week, compared to 11 favorites. If you can find someone to bet all of those games straight-up, you would be a rich man if you bet just the favorites. I went 11-4 in my Pick'em league this week and only 2 of my picks were underdogs. But that's why there's a point spread--most NFL games aren't an even match-up. There was really little doubt that DENV would beat the JAGS...the only question was by how much. It's certainly more difficult to bet against the spread...even professionals win against the spread less than 55% of the time if they can't cherry-pick. And a great cherry to pick is a NFL spread larger than 21.

Who would've thought STL would go into HOU and put a beatdown on them?.
Not me, I missed that one.

Who would've thought PIT would go to NYJ and beat them down after they just went to ATL and beat them up? .
Not me, I missed that one.

Who would've thought CIN would blow a 14 point lead in BUF to a QB from the practice squad? Etc, etc, etc..
Not me, but it was still a win for CINC straight-up.

I would rather have something to eat or that I can enjoy like a DVD or game or something than give my money away.
Yeah, if it's a choice between eating or betting, then eat. As far as DVDs or games...well, some of those are even worse than a bad bet ;)