Pitcavage Scenario Designers Guide on Top 25 Bestsellers List

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Cruising his publishers' website, I noticed you can sort the bestsellers by category. The all-time bestsellers sorted by the category "games" can be found here:

http://www.lulu.com/browse/books/games/7/LULU00014/top_100?o=0&p=all_time

I note that Mark's book is number 22 on this list. If anyone has considered purchasing this book in the past but never quite gotten around to it, I'll post a subtle reminder that they may be interested in revisiting it now, given the number of scenario design topics currently on the forum.

I see there are a number of other books that I had previously overlooked on the publisher's site (there are 700,000 titles at lulu currently); the Armed Assault tactics guide looks especially interesting (#25). Seems like an interesting mix of titles, from roulette to chess to miniatures to role playing to wargaming. It is all self-published so buyer beware, but the apparent quality of some of the bestsellers seems to justify the higher price.

Also a note to anyone that has purchased a book through the site - authors love to get feedback and especially positive reviews, so if you've purchased in the past and been happy with your purchase, handing out stars or even writing a quick review on the site would mean a lot to the author.

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cruising his publishers' website, I noticed you can sort the bestsellers by category. The all-time bestsellers sorted by the category "games" can be found here:

http://www.lulu.com/browse/books/games/7/LULU00014/top_100?o=0&p=all_time

I note that Mark's book is number 22 on this list. If anyone has considered purchasing this book in the past but never quite gotten around to it, I'll post a subtle reminder that they may be interested in revisiting it now, given the number of scenario design topics currently on the forum.

I see there are a number of other books that I had previously overlooked on the publisher's site (there are 700,000 titles at lulu currently); the Armed Assault tactics guide looks especially interesting (#25). Seems like an interesting mix of titles, from roulette to chess to miniatures to role playing to wargaming. It is all self-published so buyer beware, but the apparent quality of some of the bestsellers seems to justify the higher price.

Also a note to anyone that has purchased a book through the site - authors love to get feedback and especially positive reviews, so if you've purchased in the past and been happy with your purchase, handing out stars or even writing a quick review on the site would mean a lot to the author.
Without even clicking I'm going to guess your book is on that list, too. Probabaly at a higher position. An admittedly creative way to weasel in a self horn toot.

Nice try, but unlike Pitcavage's book, your book is still written about a game by somebody who rarely, if ever plays that same game.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Without even clicking I'm going to guess your book is on that list, too. Probabaly at a higher position. An admittedly creative way to weasel in a self horn toot.

Nice try, but unlike Pitcavage's book, your book is still written about a game by somebody who rarely, if ever plays that same game.
#9 on the list but I don't think that's why he posted this. Dorosh has always pimped Pitman's guide as well as his. His guide is different in many ways and he thinks, if I can speak for him, that ASLers should own both of them.

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
#9 on the list but I don't think that's why he posted this. Dorosh has always pimped Pitman's guide as well as his. His guide is different in many ways and he thinks, if I can speak for him, that ASLers should own both of them.
Sure, and I have a bridge for sale. You can't afford NOT to own this bridge, either.

fwheel73

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Sure, and I have a bridge for sale. You can't afford NOT to own this bridge, either.
Funny exchange..... Psyco is correct both books are good to own if you want to have all the publications that have a link to ASL game design. Yes I have them both--similarly, I also own Beyond Valor, Yanks, West of Alamein.... some precision dice and etc.... oh, to include all the Friendly Fires and CoS.:)

Best regards,:salute:
John

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Unlike Pitman's book, it's also extremely useful. As someone who DOES play the game and dabbles in design, I highly recommend it.

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASLers should be ashamed that 2 Earthdawn Gaming books beat out both ASL titles.

Congratulations, Michael, on your success and on not leaving this forum.

Count_Zero

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Country
llUnited States
ASLers should be ashamed that 2 Earthdawn Gaming books beat out both ASL titles.

Congratulations, Michael, on your success and on not leaving this forum.
That being said, Earthdawn (and by extension, Shadowrun) were EPIC. Love the story weaving. Not that ASL isn't better, just saying... :D

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
That being said, Earthdawn (and by extension, Shadowrun) were EPIC. Love the story weaving. Not that ASL isn't better, just saying... :D
I'm genuinely curious about some of the other books on that list, so by all means if there are fantasy/miniatures/PC gamers who have taken the plunge off that list, I would be very interested to hear your impressions.

I'm also curious about the legal status of self-publishing "gamer's guides" to computer games and using screenshots to illustrate them. I notice the Armed Assault gamer's guide has screenshots - I don't know if there are clauses in individual EULAs that would change the status from game to game or not - but is there anything in copyright law restricting someone from taking artwork to write a "how to" guide? I'm not asking out of concern for my own book as I feel I'm on steady ground - I actually omitted a lot of "official" artwork to avoid the question altogether. But it seems to me that putting together a guide to a computer game would be a thornier proposition. Though if one takes the stance that a "how to" guide is actually a form of review, then perhaps you can dismiss the whole question under "fair use."

For example, I searched the site for Lord of the Rings Online and found one fellow had done an unofficial guide, and used some in-game artwork (of the One Ring) for the cover of his book. Granted, most if not all of the information that is in his guide is probably online already and ditto the artwork - anyone could create the same screenshots he is capable of - I'm just curious if there is anything that would technically restrict someone from writing such a guide and using the images. Say, in the case of a publisher/developer deciding that after an independent author went to the trouble of investing his time in publishing such a guide, the publisher didn't want the competition with the "official" guide, and decided to shut it down with a lawsuit.

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Unlike Pitman's book, it's also extremely useful. As someone who DOES play the game and dabbles in design, I highly recommend it.
That's good, it's more useful than I thought. I have never heard of any other designer ever using it.

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's good, it's more useful than I thought. I have never heard of any other designer ever using it.
These designer's guides are mostly for people who have never designed a scenario before. For them they are probably helpful.

Personally I have no use for them.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
These designer's guides are mostly for people who have never designed a scenario before. For them they are probably helpful.

Personally I have no use for them.
Sorry dude, but you need to be a Doctor of history to even be concidered a real scenario designer, as far as any body doing scenarios or writing historical articles, according to pitman, we are amatures.

Scott

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Btw-
do either of the guides touch on Campaign game design ?
The only way to be come a good scenario or CG designer is play lots and lots of ASL. Top scenario designers have all played this game so much they understand what it takes to achieve a victory condition. They understand what a difference a half squad here or a MG there can make. The know what every piece is capable of. They know all of the sleaze moves and how to design against it. You don't get this stuff from a book telling you a Canadian platoon had three squads, blah, blah, blah. The history is a fun starting point, but then things are added and thrown out to make it a fun GAME.

After the designers have put together a scenario, the real difference comes in playtesting. Having good playtesters who will find printed mistakes as well as holes that make one side a lock win is one of the most important thing in scenario design.

You can't get this from a book. Especially one written by a guy who rarely if ever plays the game.

fwheel73

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Snip.....

You don't get this stuff from a book telling you a Canadian platoon had three squads, blah, blah, blah. Snip.......

Snip.....

You can't get this from a book. Especially one written by a guy who rarely if ever plays the game.
The stuff I snipped was good. The stuff remaining..... well, unfortunate.

Bottom line both book are worth owning.

Best regards,:salute:
John

ps I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last Thanksgiving.:)

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry dude, but you need to be a Doctor of history to even be concidered a real scenario designer, as far as any body doing scenarios or writing historical articles, according to pitman, we are amatures.

Scott
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
someone Rep Scott wouldya?
Too funny!

skaville

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
(Snippage)
…Come on, don´t be coy- what you really think ?
:D

I know absolutely nothing about you, or his book, or if you´re right or wrong.

But just jumping back in with the same attack on the book you hate, instead of answering my question isn´t really making your case, AZslim.

If anyone knows yes or no to "Do either book touch on CG design?" i´d love to hear it!