Pistols At Dawn - Development

Nightmare

Reaction score
OK, I was given permission to make this thread, because I had so many ideas to share.

We know our jobs right? We have to determine what kind of stats we use, how to go up in those stats, how to make money, and anything else related.

Stats - My ideas, have stats for each general type of weapon(eg., rifle, shotgun, etc.) and as you use a gun or other weapon, you become better with it. I also think there should be a quick-draw element to the game. You have a showdown with someone, and depending on how high your quick-draw stat is, you'll pull the first or last shot. There should also be a theivery stat. As you steal things from a store or from someone(pickpocket), you go up in the stat (being able to steal from stores, depending on how much mechandise they carry, or people, depending on how wealthy they are). The thievery stat should also go hand-in-hand with a stealth stat. You become more sneaky as you steal things without getting caught. A hitpoint stat is also needed. Everyone has to die sometime.

*Takes a deep breath*

Horseback riding should be another thing. The higher your horseback riding stat, the faster you can make your horse go. OK, my last thought. We should have a persuasion stat. Being able to talk people into doing things for you will help you go up in that.

I'll stop now, and post more ideas later.

Mike

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I think you should be the leader of our group seeing as you have a lot of ideas and because I wont be around as much for a few weeks.

DarkSora

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
lol, the above is going to be extremely difficult to do if not impossible. :p
Im learnt most of the important things and the quick draw element would work like this:
example:
player: 1000 hp
250 str

Enemy 1 hp
1200 str

Basically, the person with the highest agility would go first allowing them to win as long as they hit :D if not they die.

So that element will be easy :up:

Im going to experiment now to see if i can implement your thievery concept. ;)

Naluka

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hokay I can't help out so much today because I've got some coursework that needs finishing for tommorow (yeh ive had 2 weeks to do it so what :p) But I'll dig in as soon as ive done it

Nightmare

Reaction score
OK here's my next idea pool.

Making money - If DarkSora can get the thievery concept working, you can rob people, stores or even a bank, and sell whatever you get away with. Killing enemies and completing quests will also get you money. I think there should also be a few mini-games(eg., drinking contest, knife throwing comp., etc.) or just competitions where you can win money. Trading items should be another way to make money(eg., you buy a crate of fruit and you trade it at another store for profit).

Well, I'm fresh out of ideas for now.

PSP_X5

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
i like the mini game idea, but i do think it will take a lot of work

Naluka

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Adding to the money-making concept, Quests... Pretty obvious that we're going to need some... Maybe a dueling arena aswell, where you play against npc's that increase in strength, the higher you get without dying, the more money you'll make at the end....

DarkSora

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
yeah, in my practice game i created a dueling arena and its awesome!!!! :D:D
Quests are really easy to do, shocked at how easy it is. :)

We'll need ones that arent part of the story too. ;)

PSP_X5

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
how about eating? u have to eat to gain energy?

Jacques XVII

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
heres an idea for a set of side quests:

an old bandit clan has resurfaced and is terrorizing local villagers, and tehy grow stronger by the day. You have to investigate crime scenes of their's, and try and work out info like where they are situated, or who memebrs are, and u get rewarded for each new find u get.

Another idea for the game cld be alliance - you are either good or bad, depending on what u do in the game. If your bad u increase better in skills like thievery, and if you are gd u increase in things like health. Dunno if it will be too complicated.

You cld also have populaity - what different groupsof people think of you, i.e. the sheriifs department, shopkeepers, etc and this affects whether they help or hinder you, attack or defend you. Again, dunno if it wld be too complicated.

Andymac

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
What about a map when you press start or something, it tells you were you are and tells you how to get to different places. Also, another idea is you can choose the option for the character to run or walk. Also to earn money there could be a thing were you mine for gold silver ect... then when you find some of it you can take it to the local shop thing and trade it for money. And... someone mentioned earlier eating, well there could be one of those western type cafe things. And last but not least, when entering a shop, instead of it being a black screen (when you enter the shop) it can have a 3d picture of what ever you are entering.

Adamaniac 791

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
How about when you die, you appear at the local Doctors clinic/hospital, but you loose some cash as payment, just like in GTA (apart from without loosing weapons and items)?

Mike

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
How bout to get supplies and some equipment there will be a shop in the form of the one in runescape?

Andymac

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Mike said:
How bout to get supplies and some equipment there will be a shop in the form of the one in runescape?
Also if you kill an enemy, they leave there weapons, money ect behind...

Nightmare

Reaction score
I had an idea for a quest(not sure if it will be story-based or not)

You get stopped from whatever your doing because this trader comes into town. He tells you about a mine he's going to, not far from the town. He takes you there, but then chickens out when he gets to the entrance. He tells you about a huge gold pit deep inside the mine. You go through the mine(I think there should be a part where you ride a mine cart) and when you finally get to the gold pit, you're confronted by a small army of goons that got there first. you can't negotiate over who gets it, so you fight to the death about it. When you beat it, you get all the gold.

DarkSora

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
not sure about the death part. You can either lose and have the game end or lose and continue. You can program this into different battles, so for example, the first time you verse the last boss, you get defeated but the game still continues.

Adamaniac 791

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Maybe the game could be open ended, so that after you beat the final boss, you can carry on roaming around the map upgrading your stats and earining money? I think that would be better that just beating the game and that being the end. Could there be a way for random quests to become available after you finish the game every now and then to keep it from getting boring after the main game has finished though?

Nightmare

Reaction score
DarkSora said:
not sure about the death part. You can either lose and have the game end or lose and continue. You can program this into different battles, so for example, the first time you verse the last boss, you get defeated but the game still continues.
Well, maybe you could do it like this: If you come to the point where you die, it goes to the game over screen, you get a choice to continue or quit. If you choose "continue" you revert to the town you started in right before you took the quest. From there, you can prepare yourself a little better for when you take the quest again