Piracy

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3743110.stm

Halo 2, which is set to come out about a month from now and is probably the most anticipated XBOX game of all time, has been pirated....:( It is available on the internet now.

I don't pirate games, and I have no pirated software on my computer. I know people who do, but I don't really care that much.

What do you guys think? I think that people should pay for the games, because it will probably end up raising the prices for the rest of us if pirating continues.

chrisvalla

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't buy the "I'm just testing it out and if I like it I'll go buy it BS" anymore with so many games having demos out. I also don't buy the "games cost too much for the crap they put out". True, there's lots of overpriced buggy crap out there; wait a few months, it'll come down in price, it ALWAYS does... and by then, maybe it'll be patched and playable anyway. Ditto for the "it's too expensive and overpriced to begin with, good game or not". You know what? So are Dodge Vipers, but I don't go steal one just because I can't afford to buy it.

My view, pure and simple (one of the few black and white issues I actually have), piracy is simply theft (reason is immaterial, you didn't pay for it you don't have the right to it; it holds true for cars, groceries, and other material possessions, so to for intellectual property), it's illegal, it's wrong and if you're caught, you should be punished as much as possible and if you continue to do it, your punishment should be incremented as well since you are knowingly acting in a criminal manner after the first time.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Agree 100%. I have nothing here but genuine original releases of all my games, that's over 300 titles in all. If you average out each release at £30.00 a shot, I've spent £9,000.00 on games over the years and I don't regret it. I'm the same way with Videos and DVDs.

And if people are REALLY hard-up to pay top price for a new game, wait for a year and you'll get it on budget or second hand - there's no excuse for piracy.

(this isn't to say that I'm any good at any of them mind...)

Dr. S.

Last edited:

suchey

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Its too much damn work from what I've seen...always chasing after fixes, patches and cracks to make sure it works. Its not worth my time to do that sh*t. For $40 I can just buy the game legitimately and forget about all that digging through super l33t haxorz sites to try and have a working game.

Minor edit for language - Doctor. S. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Nico

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llPoland
Doctor Sinister said:
I've spent £9,000.00 on games over the years and I don't regret it.
One game costs averege 25$, 300 games would be 7,500$. I would have to work for about year (and dont pay for food/living) to be able to buy those 300 games. When our economic level rise in east Europa I will surely buy orginal games... I am not saying that cause we are poorer, we have moral right to buy pirate game :confused: neverless here is still 'wild east' ... and believe me that pirate games from Russia/Bulgaria are first class copies, sometimes before official release..

Last edited:

Patrocles

Reaction score
gobeavs said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3743110.stm

Halo 2, which is set to come out about a month from now and is probably the most anticipated XBOX game of all time, has been pirated....:( It is available on the internet now.

I don't pirate games, and I have no pirated software on my computer. I know people who do, but I don't really care that much.

What do you guys think? I think that people should pay for the games, because it will probably end up raising the prices for the rest of us if pirating continues.
bad news all around! It will raise the prices and cause more damn cd protection which in turn cause more headaches for gamers trying to get the games to run/work properly!

Bariman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
gobeavs said:
Doom 3, Halo 2, and GTA: San Andreas...they are arguably the 3 biggest games of this year, and they were all pirated before release.

Don't forget Half-Life 2. The Four biggest and most anticipated games of several years, all stolen and put out on the Internet BEFORE THEY ARE RELEASED. How is this happening? Excellent hackers and flawed computer security? Someone in the disc plants stealingthe code off the Gold Disc?

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bariman said:
Don't forget Half-Life 2. The Four biggest and most anticipated games of several years, all stolen and put out on the Internet BEFORE THEY ARE RELEASED. How is this happening? Excellent hackers and flawed computer security? Someone in the disc plants stealingthe code off the Gold Disc?

There's no pirated HL2 yet. The source code was stolen and people built a "alpha" build off of that, but little of the actual game content was in it.

As for it raising prices, it actually lowered prices in the music industry.

Marines

Reaction score
Piracy in any form especially in the gaming industry has proven to be harmful to those of us that purchase these games. As a result companies have gone to even greater lengths to ensure their games remain un-pirated.

Piracy needs to be stopped dead in its tracks(it never will). People like ourselves will continue to pay the price both through our pocketbooks and through possible damage to our PC's (Starforce).

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Marines said:
Piracy in any form especially in the gaming industry has proven to be harmful to those of us that purchase these games. As a result companies have gone to even greater lengths to ensure their games remain un-pirated.

Piracy needs to be stopped dead in its tracks(it never will). People like ourselves will continue to pay the price both through our pocketbooks and through possible damage to our PC's (Starforce).

That's the thing, the pirates will always be one step away (although Valve's steam is a step in the right direction). However, like I said, it doesn't always result in higher prices. The piracy becomes something industries have to compete with and as I said, the music industry dropped the standard price for a CD by almost $10.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The music industry never suffered a large-scale setback from piracy.

If you look at the numbers carefully they just happened to have a peak in sales in the first half of the nineties, and it was over when people started surfing the web and playing computer games on a larger scale.

The music industry then blamed the "downfall" on the pirates, but in reality there was no "downfall" they just scaled back to where they have been before their peak.

Considering the Internet as a way to spend leisure time, computer games, ever increasing TV and that people spend more time running around on the streets now that cellphones are so common it is actually surprising that they did not fall below early 90ties levels. They have nothing to complain about. If you factor in the competition, they have a net long-term gain.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Redwolf said:

If you look at the numbers carefully they just happened to have a peak in sales in the first half of the nineties, and it was over when people started surfing the web and playing computer games on a larger scale.

The music industry then blamed the "downfall" on the pirates, but in reality there was no "downfall" they just scaled back to where they have been before their peak.

Considering the Internet as a way to spend leisure time, computer games, ever increasing TV and that people spend more time running around on the streets now that cellphones are so common it is actually surprising that they did not fall below early 90ties levels. They have nothing to complain about. If you factor in the competition, they have a net long-term gain.
I'm not sure I agree 100% that a large portion of it wasn't caused by piracy. I won't deny the other factors, but I wouldn't overlook that one either (so say the X amount of mp3s on my computer)....

As for how they get pirated, yes in a lot of cases the gold disk gets leaked, or in some cases somewhere that got a shipment earlier loses one to theft. It generally takes the pirates 3-7 days to crack a game.

Patrocles

Reaction score
Redwolf said:

do you have any links to this info? from what I have heard there is no direct connection between music piracy and downloading...but that was a long time ago...in the days of Napster and I'm sure things have changed ALOT since then!
cheers

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Patrocles said:
do you have any links to this info? from what I have heard there is no direct connection between music piracy and downloading...but that was a long time ago...in the days of Napster and I'm sure things have changed ALOT since then!
cheers
I didn't keep links but the simple curve of CD sales (note: money gained fro CD sales, not number of CDs) for the last 20 years should be pretty easy to find, I came across it a number of times.

You see a bump and back to normal, that's it. And back to normal is with all the new leisure competition, so they can actually call themself lucky and they sell more than they could have expected.