Pinned unit loses WA when an enemy unit enters?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
A pinned squad had WA in a building hex. B9.322, "A Pinned … unit cannot voluntarily claim or forfeit WA." An enemy AFV enters in bypass. Per B9.32, a unit claiming WA must not have an enemy unit [EXC: UUV] in its hex, and per B9.322, "WA must be forfeited immediately if a unit no longer fulfills 9.32". In this case I think the loss of WA is not voluntary, and the pinned unit loses WA. Does that sound right?

If the above is correct, could the AFV perform a "drive-by" WA strip by entering in bypass and then leaving? That wouldn't work with mandatory WA but would seem to remove WA when it is not mandatory.

JR

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Agree, such forfeiture is not voluntary, and I don't see anything prohibiting the "drive-by" WA strip either.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
That should be fixed with an erratum. In addition to being able to take WA when all enemy units give it up, a unit should be able to take WA when all enemy units leave the Location. That wouldn't help a pinned guy, but for unpinned units a drive-by should not strip WA.

JR

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
If the above is correct, could the AFV perform a "drive-by" WA strip by entering in bypass and then leaving? That wouldn't work with mandatory WA but would seem to remove WA when it is not mandatory.
Ingenious thought!

von Marwitz

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
That should be fixed with an erratum. In addition to being able to take WA when all enemy units give it up, a unit should be able to take WA when all enemy units leave the Location. That wouldn't help a pinned guy, but for unpinned units a drive-by should not strip WA.
Not sure I really see the need for erratum.