"Pinned" Status

jshultis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm new to ASL (former SL player). Any help with the following would be appreciated..

-- Can a broken unit become "pinned" either by passing a MC by the highest possible total or by a PTC? If so, does this prevent the broken unit from Routing during the Route Phase? Are "pinned" DM broken units (if unable to route) in open ground and in LOS within Normal Range of a good order enemy eliminated?

Thanks for the assitance,
Jesse

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Broken units may suffer Pin results but are not affected by the conditions of being pinned. Generally where I play, when we have broken units get a pinned result we say no effect, but the DR is checked for Sniper activation.

A 'Pinned DM unit" routes under the normal route rules.

Keith

pryoung

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Broken units don't need to take PTC (so no need to roll) as per A7.305: "Broken units never take Pin TC, although they can become pinned during Interdiction (10.53) by passing a MC with the highest DR possible (7.8 )." In fact, Interdiction during the Rout Phase is the only time a broken unit can be affected by a Pin result as spelled out in A7.8, and even then only by passing a MC with the highest possible roll; a routing broken unit still doesn't take a PTC. The only effect on a broken unit of pinning is to end that unit's Rout Phase right there, so no need to ever place a Pin counter on a brokie. If this ends that unit's rout still adjacent to an enemy unit, it is then eliminated for Failure to Rout.

Also, as a general rule, you don't need to make a DR to check for sniper activation if no possible effect (other than sniper activation) could occur as per A14.1: Any such DR that can yield no game result other than a SAN is not made [EXC: the DR required for an attack negated by blocked LOS (6.11) is made]. An example might be a Berserk unit (immune to Pin results) which gets a PTC. Don't need to roll the PTC.

Pete

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks like I need to read more about what I hear. :oops:

Thanks Pete a good lesson for me!

Keith

jshultis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pinned

All,

Thanks for the assistance. I very much appreciate the listing of the ASL rule number and the rule itself as the ASLSK (which I am currently using) rules differ in language and rule #.

Jesse