Pinned by Snap Shot

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The ASLRB is not like the Bible or Quran. It can be amended. If following discussions here, the higher authorities take note, assess carefully the issue and include some errata in a future (even distant future...) batch of amendments, we, the player community, would have done our job and make ASL an even better game, even if each separate addition can be considered, admittedly, small.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I am not opposed to some changes (e.g. the platoon movement or WA precisions and changes).
But I will stick to what is officially decided, whatever my pet peeves are.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
ASL is not a strict replay of what happens in real life. It's a bit of a stretch to be dismayed by the very infrequent oddities of DFF shot selection and not to be outraged by the non-simultaneous MPh (one stack moving at a time), the alternation of the player turns or even the division of the turns into phases. The big picture is that the ASL rules have little to do with reality, and to raise an objection to a really small infidelity seems to me to say you are not paying attention. ASL sacrifices reality for playability in a big way.

You could break DFF into micro-phases if you like. What would you gain? Perhaps a bit more conformance to actual events, but only if you take the map literally. What would you lose? More rules and more time spent making sure what your options are so that you can get the order of shots right. I don't usually have enough units that I can use them in some devious way by taking snap shots second. If I am taking a snap shot second it is because my first, reasonably good shot failed, and I am desperate.

JR

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
As if there were any remaining doubt:

SITUATION:

Multiple FGs have a Snap Shot against a moving unit as it enters a building. The first FG fires and PINS the target.

QUESTION:

Can the second FG take the Snap Shot at all?

Yes.

Or is the target - in accordance with A7.83 - immediately pinned inside the building (and thus gaining TEM)?

No.

....Perry

MMP

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Did we determine if a unit can fire on them in their destination and then another unit can fire on them via snap shot? I'm kind of forgetting what the argument was here.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Good point - I guess there might be some "remaining doubt."

I didn't ask THAT question as it was not my OP issue. The RB allows these shots simultaneously, so I didn't doubt the answer on that score - however weird the results can seem.

My only issue (IIRC!...I'm on the road this weekend) was whether the combination of A7.83 and 8.15 changes anything once the unit becomes Pinned.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Did we determine if a unit can fire on them in their destination and then another unit can fire on them via snap shot? I'm kind of forgetting what the argument was here.
That is already clear by the rules. Last sentence of A8.15 (quoted upstream).

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
My only objection to this sort of ruling is i have to take the time to add it to my folder of questions asked.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sure can. Since a Snap Shot doesn't incur FFMO/FFNAM it's really inconsequential in which order the shots are taken, it's just that it feels a little weird taking the Snap Shot after being engaged in the destination location, but this has been adequately addressed by jrv & others. IMHO