Pillbox LOS...

Tompy

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have a question about Pillbox LOS.

First let's set the situation. 1 squad is inside a pillbox. An enemy squad is in the same hex (same level) as the pillbox. It is clearly stated in the rules that these two units are ADJACENT. In order to be ADJACENT the units must have LOS, so they must.

Later in the rules the squad inside the Pillbox is restricted to actions against its hex to CC, Smoke Gernades and Throwing a DC. Ok, that's fine and dandy. Nowhere does it restrict the units from outside the Pillbox in a reciprocal fashion. However, it also neglects to state which CA TEM is used by units in the hex that attack the Pillbox location with small arms (if they even can). My assumptions are that if they must use the NCA TEM, then small arms are NA because it does say that in the rules. However, if they have LOS and the outside unit can fire and use the CA TEM, then they can.

Help please.

Jeff

Treadhead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting question.

I would fall back on B30.112 - .113, which defines CA for a Pillbox.

Since the CA Defense Modifier applies to "non-Aerial Direct Fire attacks against the pillbox which originates from a hex within the CA of the pillbox", and since I could find no reference to the Pillbox hex itself being within the Pillbox's CA...

I conclude that units in the Pillbox hex must use the NCA Defense Modifier when attacking a Pillbox.

Regards,
Bruce Bakken

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tompy said:
My assumptions are that if they must use the NCA TEM, then small arms are NA because it does say that in the rules. However, if they have LOS and the outside unit can fire and use the CA TEM, then they can.
B30.1 says that the pillbox hex is not in the CA.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I battled some time trying to fit these rules together.
Yes, the Pillbox hex is out of the LOS (EXC when a unit enters hex through CA hexsides, it can be fired upon during MPh by DFF from occupants of the pillbox).
The fact that a unit in the pillbox hex must use NCA to fire against the pillbox restricts the usage of some types of fire (and also the units in the pillbox have limited fire possibilities).
I would find very usefull that in the "Same Hex" paragraph some truths described otherwhere in the rules were recalled : it would be so more easy to find what one looks for...
Perhaps some day someone will produce a "pillbox" flowchart, as Overrun and OBA ones were made (so usefull!).