Photos of Budapest (part 3, cogwheel railway)

tunixx

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
This march I went to Budapest to compare the battlefield to the FB maps. Here are photos from my trip. Almost everyone starting to play FB will probably know this area as the first two scenarios ("Uncles and Pups" and "The devil's free to have a try.") use this part of the mapboard.

10.jpg
No tour of the battlefield is complete without having a look at the tennis courts (as seen from Varosmajor utca).

11.jpg

Standing on Varosmajor utca (H36) and looking at the cogwheel railway bridge.

12.jpg

close up view of the bridge.

13.jpg

View of the elevated RR from H36. The wooden building in G36 doesn't exist anymore.

14.jpg

View of the bridge from the other side of the RR (from hex G39)

15.jpg

Terminus of the tram line.

16.jpg

close up view of the elevated RR

17.jpg

The cogwheel railway station

18.jpg

19.jpg

We were looking for the "White Villa" but it looks like it has been replaced by the Hotel Budapest. (view from D31)

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
That must have taken a lot of work.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That was decent! Thank you.

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice pics!!! Thank you for taking the time to share!!

Regards
Joe

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not to hijack the thread, but my OCD requires me to mention.

Refer to the "view of the bridge from hex G39" pic above - specifically, the map inset. Notice anything odd? About the bridge?

Let's add some lines to show the driving lanes:
Untitled.png

I'd hate to be driving under the bridge in that top lane. Seems like there's a bridge support in the lane :)

Not to criticize Charlie Kibler - I am a huge fan of the FB map and unabashedly try to copy it in my own work. Just wanted to mention that this is the kind of thing that gives me way too much grief when I draw things. "Hey, those central bridge supports are sticking right in the driving lanes. What does it look like when you fix it? How WOULD I fix it? OK, I fixed it. It doesn't look any better. Would anybody notice? Hey, what's ANOTHER way to fix it? Huh, that's a cool effect - what happens when I try it HERE?" Etc, etc, etc.

No wonder maps take a long time :)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Just because there's something on top of the depiction doesn't mean there's something underneath. You're just guessing that those square things are tops of supports. In fact they could be ledges for signals or controls.

bridge.jpg

JR

Last edited:

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You guys are killin' me! :)

And yet, I get a strange sense of comfort knowing that Tom's heightened level of OCDedness is on the ASL job!

Bill

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Refer to the "view of the bridge from hex G39" pic above - specifically, the map inset. Notice anything odd? About the bridge?

View attachment 4770

I'd hate to be driving under the bridge in that top lane. Seems like there's a bridge support in the lane :)

Not to criticize Charlie Kibler - I am a huge fan of the FB map and unabashedly try to copy it in my own work. Just wanted to mention that this is the kind of thing that gives me way too much grief when I draw things. "Hey, those central bridge supports are sticking right in the driving lanes. What does it look like when you fix it? How WOULD I fix it? OK, I fixed it. It doesn't look any better. Would anybody notice? Hey, what's ANOTHER way to fix it? Huh, that's a cool effect - what happens when I try it HERE?" Etc, etc, etc.

The really funny thing is that Charlie, Perry, Chas, Sean Deller, and I spent a stuuuuupid amount of effort to model this one hex correctly!

Which is why I appreciate the posting of these photos so much!

The family and I are making our first trip to Budapest in August, so all of these photos are great to see.

But mostly, they are a testament to all the hard work that Bruce Kirkaldy (and others) spent in creating the draft maps and Charlie Kibler spent in creating the awesome Festung Budapest map sets.

Last edited:

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Will we be getting a new (errata) sticker for this hex now? I spent a lot of coin for this module, as did we all, so this kind of shoddy workmanship is not only disappointing, but it's bloody well unacceptable! <G>

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Awesome job guys...............I wish I could afford the trips to battle sites....................kids and a home pretty much drain the bank

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

That’s what SSRs are for :)

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Amazing how much of the city layout hasn’t changed. Great photo series!

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I’d love to see these threads combined as a pdf. I’d print it out and keep it in my FB box.