Photos from Hürtgenwald (Part 2 - Kommerscheidt)

tunixx

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
We had problems finding the roads on the Schmidt map in Kommerscheidt. Today the road layout is not the same as shown on the map.

the pond in O19 as seen from O20 was a good point of reference.

View of Kommerscheidt from approx. hex X17. The road on the right does not exist on the Bounding Fire map.

The streets of Kommerscheidt as seen from approx. hex V9

The edge of the board - this is the Kall trail as seen from hex X4.

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Love posts like this, thank you.

Out of curiosity, was the pond found on period maps/AARs from 1944? Or is it possible it is a modern feature that made it onto the historical map?

Looks like the plateau effect actually models things well, particularly looking at your last comparison.

tunixx

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Love posts like this, thank you.

Out of curiosity, was the pond found on period maps/AARs from 1944? Or is it possible it is a modern feature that made it onto the historical map?

Looks like the plateau effect actually models things well, particularly looking at your last comparison.
I don't have any historical maps of that area so I can't answer this question with 100% certainty. My guess would be that the pond has been there for quite a while as its function is usually to provide water for firemen.

About the plateau effect: I checked LOS in Vossenack in several places and I agreed that the plateau effect is working pretty well. I'll probably post the Vossenack pictures later this weekend.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ughh .. those wires. We had a lot of fun with those wires while PT'ing the CG. Thanks again for these photos and the map matchups!

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ughh .. those wires. We had a lot of fun with those wires while PT'ing the CG. Thanks again for these photos and the map matchups!
It was there on the battlefield sector sketches of that area. Check out the 28th's History of that fight for some extra info.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you again for the photos...Kommerscheidt looks to be a quaint town. Beautiful country.