Philippe's WDS/JTS 2d flag and unit color mod

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
ACW 2d flag and unit color mod version 1.0
-------------------------------------------------

This mod represents a bit of a departure from my usual practice.

Instead of being a mod of an entire game, it is a mod of one set of textures for all the games in an entire series.

I've made relatively few changes because I really like the way things look in the original and don't want to do anything that might clash with the design team's vision.

The textures that are being modded are the six 2d symbols sets from the Map folder (not to be confused with the Maps folder).

The mod comes in two flavors, depending on whether you prefer your confederates in grey or butternut.

The mod uses more or less historical flags for the different periods of the Civil War.

There are flag notes with dates in each uniform color folder, but First Bull Run and the Peninsula Campaign use Period I flags, Chancelorsville and Gettysburg use Period II flags, and everything else uses Period III flags. Appomattox uses Period IV flags.

To use the mod, back up the six unmodded textures and copy and paste the contents of the appropriate Period folder(and not the folder itself) into the appropriate map folder. Do not try to copy the mod folder to your game because nothing will happen (the game engine wom't read it).

2d units in grey and butternut:

3d units for context (not part of mod)

Old Banshee's unit boxes and colorized leader portraits are spectacular, and the regimental flags inside the unit boxes match the flags on the 3d units.

The mod can be downloaded here:

https://app.box.com/s/2qofxeog36dyi8pmeizg86i72x69zm6y

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The mod has been updated very slightly to version 1.1.

The zoomed-out 2d infantry and cavalry symbols now fill their unit counters, and the alternate unit symbol for zoomed-out Hq's is now the traditional star instead of a blank flag.

The link in the first post of this thread will take you to the updated version.

No other updates are anticipated.

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Never say never. The mod has been updated to version 1.2 to correct errors that crept in during the last update, and the 3d movement arrows now look like the 2d movement arrows.

The link to the new version is in the first post of this thread.

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The mod has been updated to version 1.3.

The Period I and Period II full size U.S. flags now really do have 34 stars, and the zoomed-out hq flags are now shaped like guidons (Emerson's hobgoblin will be happier).

The link in the first post of this thread will take you to the updated version.

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The base game includes alternate unit textures. Here are some screenshots of the mod in action (grey units, butternut units, historical flags):

The mod has been updated to version 1.3a to correct a tiny error that crept in when I wasn't looking. The links in the first post will take you to the updated version.

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Emerson's hobgoblin has been busy.

Confederates now use a guidon-shaped Stars and Bars as a 2d headquarters symbol in all periods. The 3d control flags now match the 2d control flags.

The link in the first post of this thread will take you to updated version 1.4.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Here's what the 3d flags look like from version 1.4 (link in the first post):

The 3d screenshots from the Petersburg scenarios use the hand-painted maps for comparison. (The grass is lighter in color and the changes in elevation are smoothed out).

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
All of the 3d textures in the images in this thread showed the hand-painted map, which is an acquired taste. I've replaced all the 3d images except two with the regular map.

The hand-painted maps' grass texture is a very light yellowish green, and it smooths out the contours of the map elevations.

(There has been no change to the mod).

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The mod has been updated to version 1.5. Links in the first post of this thread.

There is a new blocked-line-of-sight symbol for medium and large 2d textures, as well as repairs to the regular 3d roads (as opposed to the hand-drawn textures) and the 2d supply source counter.

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Making a few changes is a slippery slope. I started to play a campaign game to see how things looked and I kept noticing things that I wished were different.

I've made some changes to the roads, railroads, and pikes in 2d and 3d. This should make them a little easier to find on the map when you're trying to decide what to do.

I still haven't decided what to do about the color of the 2d supply source counter, but I'll figure it out eventually.
I'm not happy with black/dark grey, but off white/light grey looked much better than red.

The mod does not change the 3d handpainted textures, so you'll have to go to the settings menu, scroll down the list, and uncheck hand-drawn textures to see what looks different.

You can get version 1.6 of the mod from the link in the first post of this thread.