Philippe Briaux is still hospitalized in Cleveland

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
FYI - I saw Philippe this evening - he seemed in remarkable spirits all things considered. The surgery sounded like an ordeal, although he wasn't in much pain and indicated he felt the cut more than the broken bone at this point. We were able to get the iPad on the hospital Guest WiFi so he should have some connectivity at least which hopefully makes the stay more pleasant. His exit plan is still being formulated and he hopes to learn more tomorrow (Friday) on when he may be able to fly back and exactly how. It sounds like his insurance company is trying to figure out the best options to get him back to France quickly and safely. He currently has a walker and has some mobility, although he indicated today's big journey was around 2 meters, but it's at least progress.

I let him know the many kind thoughts and offers to help so he's at least aware of the well wishes...

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To relate to my offer (and those that contacted me privately to help pay for it), Bret indicated to me that Philippe may be going home in the next few days, so it seems unlikely I could get him a laptop in a timely enough fashion that he would have much if any time to use it. So, unless the insurance company cannot work out a speedy return, I will refrain from sending a laptop. Thanks to all who wanted to join; my offer was not as generous as it sounded as I figured I would not have to bear the burden myself in the end. We are a generous bunch. I do know that I would hate to be a stranger in a strange land without a laptop at least to play VASL, correspond with friends, and buy stuff to make life bearable on my return home.

Please let me know Bret if things change.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I think Justiciar has a very legitimate concern. Based on the info on this thread, it's already possible to get an idea as to where he might work and possibly live. If I am the one stuck in a hospital away from home I would certainly appreciate someone watching out for my family. This is a public forum, info here is accessible via any search engines .. and can easily be aggregated with other pieces of info on the internet.

I am constantly stuck by how easy it is to put together enough info to Google Street View folks (esp US) .. see how many cars they have in the driveway .. get names and phone numbers sometimes of their relative as well. Not that I will ever do it (heh heh) .. but heck, there are all sorts of folks out there.

Rgds Jack

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Philippe's wife wrote me that he is being be moved to another facility as these days the hospital wants you out of their hands to avoid any infection. Let's hope he gets out of the USA as soon as possible. Many thanks to Brett for his visit. Of course, Brett is suffering also due to the Indians' demise.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
FYI - I saw Philippe this evening - he seemed in remarkable spirits all things considered. The surgery sounded like an ordeal, although he wasn't in much pain and indicated he felt the cut more than the broken bone at this point. We were able to get the iPad on the hospital Guest WiFi so he should have some connectivity at least which hopefully makes the stay more pleasant. His exit plan is still being formulated and he hopes to learn more tomorrow (Friday) on when he may be able to fly back and exactly how. It sounds like his insurance company is trying to figure out the best options to get him back to France quickly and safely. He currently has a walker and has some mobility, although he indicated today's big journey was around 2 meters, but it's at least progress.

I let him know the many kind thoughts and offers to help so he's at least aware of the well wishes...
Thanks Bret for looking after our valiant French friend. Please pass him my best regards.

Stephen Frum

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Bret for looking after our valiant French friend. Please pass him my best regards.
Yes, Bret, thank you so much for looking in on our friend. I am so sad that he is having to go through this horror and wish very much that I lived in Cleveland so I could visit. Let us all keep the good thoughts going to Philippe!

Nadir_E

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not on GS much these days, so just learning of this unhappy news. I hope that Philippe will be winging his way home to a speedy and full recovery.

-N

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Update on Philippe. He is still in the same hospital and room 827 and the same phone number 216-957-7139. He has conferred with a French doctor concerning travel which is still a question mark. If he is moved out of the hospital to a different facility, I will let everyone know here. He is still in a good mood considering all that has happened.

His misfortune will now be a part of ASLOK lore such as the hookers at the truck stop in Youngstown, the swimming pool at that downtown Cleveland hotel, Captain Taco, Robbie Weissbart's Hitler jig dance upon rolling eyes, Bob Bendis' dog, etc., etc.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Update on Philippe. He is still in the same hospital and room 827 and the same phone number 216-957-7139. He has conferred with a French doctor concerning travel which is still a question mark. If he is moved out of the hospital to a different facility, I will let everyone know here. He is still in a good mood considering all that has happened.

His misfortune will now be a part of ASLOK lore such as the hookers at the truck stop in Youngstown, the swimming pool at that downtown Cleveland hotel, Captain Taco, Robbie Weissbart's Hitler jig dance upon rolling eyes, Bob Bendis' dog, etc., etc.
Bret has a new mini-theme "Last Man Standing" [or some such catchy name]....so scenarios that start with some SMC wounded already...many are that and heroic too... But Philippe merits a mini in his honor.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
What did the taco joint do? Kill the hookers (supposedly named after General Joe Hooker, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Hooker), cook and serve them to customers! ?
I remember Steve Pleva commenting on the greasy tacos there that it would be better to toss the taco in the toilet right away since it was going to be there anyway in 15 minutes. Surprisingly they are still in business and have a website!

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
OK, it was the hotel that closed down, my bad. The hookers must have been really complaining very loudly about the state of the hotel to anyone who listened. It shows ASL players will put up with anything to get their playing fix, worse than heroin.