Philippe Briaux is still hospitalized in Cleveland

Philippe R

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Can someone from the ASLOK community let us (Frenchies at home) know if Philippe has checked out and was heading to the airport when it's happened, or if he has still some gear at the hotel ? His mobile phone is dead for the moment.
I understand he went to the hospital fairly quickly...
(GMT +2 in France for the time being)

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
I spoke to Philippe a few minutes before his unfortunate accident. He stated that his suitcase was already packed and only a few small items had to get in there. As he was heading out for breakfast he hadn't checked out and was not heading for the airport at that moment. The hotel offered to help him pack up in case he was returning for the hospital but this was of course the situation on Monday morning shortly after the incident.
I don't know if his suitcase and stuff are still at the hotel or have been transferred to the hospital instead (I had to leave for the airport shortly afterwards as well). Maybe some of the locals know about this.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's terrible to hear. As a recent victim of a slip and fall accident myself, I can totally relate.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
That is tough luck. Sending my blessings.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Latest info. I called Philippe today. He had a long surgery and must rest but is concerned that he can not fly perhaps due to the long flight and sitting for that long time. I am not sure when he will be released. He is in contact via Katya, his wife, with the insurance company which now has all the details probably. He is in room 827 at MetroHealth,2500 Metrohealth Dr, Cleveland, OH 44109. His room number phone is 216-957-7139. He would welcome a call as I do not think they have cable or French channels on TV there. Ray

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Man, thats gotta be horrible to be in a foreign country and alone. Now with the possibility of being stuck in the U.S for the foreseeable future. You do not recover from a Hip injury over night and the amount of physical therapy will by alot. Anyway, thanks for the update Ray. I hate seeing a good guy suffer.

Xavier 658

LFT Magazine Editor
Reaction score
First name
Xavier
Country
llSpain
Hi listers,

Just talked to him a while ago.... If someone closeby could lend him an iPad, or a laptop, or something he'd be the happiest man these days.... he may be stuck for 8 weeks on a chair or in bed, and has nothing to communicate (or to do, simply put). He has no idea on when or how will he be able to return to France, since thus far, he cannot be transported. His insurance is dealing with everything, but it may take time....

Thank you all,

X

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My father slipped on the ice last winter and broke his hip. It is a horrible and painful injury with a long recovery time. I wish Philippe the best of luck and hope he gets well soon.

Ginnard, get your ass over to the hospital and play some ASL. You've finally got yourself an easy win now that he's all drugged up...

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi listers,

Just talked to him a while ago.... If someone closeby could lend him an iPad, or a laptop, or something he'd be the happiest man these days.... he may be stuck for 8 weeks on a chair or in bed, and has nothing to communicate (or to do, simply put). He has no idea on when or how will he be able to return to France, since thus far, he cannot be transported. His insurance is dealing with everything, but it may take time....
If anyone has something they can lend him, please let us know. If no one chimes in before Thursday at 23:00 GMT, I will scrape up some money and send him a cheap laptop from Amazon, something that he can play on and then leave it behind.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Ginnard, get your ass over to the hospital and play some ASL. You've finally got yourself an easy win now that he's all drugged up...
AND sneak in a some nice red wine...."oh that...nurse that is some cranberry juice."

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't have any experience with it, but perhaps a Go Fund Me campaign to assist with travel expenses back to France?

For those who do travel internationally, international medical transport insurance is probably something to consider in the future. I just priced it and you can get covered for as little as $200 for a month's coverage.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Latest info. I called Philippe today. He had a long surgery and must rest but is concerned that he can not fly perhaps due to the long flight and sitting for that long time. I am not sure when he will be released. He is in contact via Katya, his wife, with the insurance company which now has all the details probably. He is in room 827 at MetroHealth,2500 Metrohealth Dr, Cleveland, OH 44109. His room number phone is 216-957-7139. He would welcome a call as I do not think they have cable or French channels on TV there. Ray
Tell him to consider taking a cruise ship. It is something that would not occur to most people, but if he can spare the bucks, it would be a more comfortable way to cross the Atlantic.

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I don't have any experience with it, but perhaps a Go Fund Me campaign to assist with travel expenses back to France?

For those who do travel internationally, international medical transport insurance is probably something to consider in the future. I just priced it and you can get covered for as little as $200 for a month's coverage.
Decent Medical insurance for a 10 Day trip to the US usually runs me about AUD $90 (== $70 USD), it doesn't cover every transport contingency but goes a fair way, especially as the sooner they get you home the sooner they are off the hook.

I wouldn't consider travelling to the US without same.