PFs for TANK crews?

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi folks,

Was playing Schwerpunkt’s Flaming of the Guard this past weekend in Central Minnesota with vacationing Joe Vennarucci from Seattle and this question came up. I had just knocked out one of his Panthers with a British Firefly in my prep fire phase. His crew survived. He rolled for a panzerfaust (PF) and fired it at the Firefly in his DFF. Our question was: can TANK crews that abandon a knocked out TANK actually have PFs? Checking the rule book we saw references to German infantry having capability, but it didn’t exclude tank crews. We played it as though the crew did have PF capability. Fortunately for the chaps in the Firefly, the PF missed.

This was a well-balanced, fun scenario that came down to the final turn’s Brit DFF for a British win. Joe skillfully obliterated my British infantry, but a well-placed 76LL AP round in his last Panther saved the day. It played much longer than the 4 ½ turns would indicate. Give it a try!

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Houlie said:
can TANK crews that abandon a knocked out TANK actually have PFs?
Yes they can and they are damn annoying when they do. They also have ATMM. While it seems hokey to me, I did read an account of a group of hetzers whose commander, rather than face a bunch of T-34s, got out of their vehicles, and took their PF and went T-34 hunting. So it may not be as hokey as we think.

I played Seregalays Slugout once and had a PzVIb go toe to toe with an IS-2m. The tiger got killed, but the crew survived, advanced into CC and pulled an ATMM to burn the IS-2m.

mdholt

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have a read similar stories of tank crews hunting with Panzerfausts, such as when a rubbled town prevented a Panther from getting at its Russian targets the commander took up a Pf and went where the tank could not to get at the Russian tanks. I also have one of my many WW2 tank books showing a German Renault with a Pf tucked in the side with the shovel. Obviously there to help give the obsolete tank some punch.