Pets: Are you a dog person, a cat person, or something else?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I used to ride horses, but just sort of got out of the habit some years ago and haven't tried it again in some time.

It's probably fair to say I'm a dog person. Some of my family members have birds or fish, but dogs can interact in a way other pets can't. Of course my dog is quite useless and is actually a bit more like an old cat, but that's another story.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Cats. 1 as a family pet as a child. 17, of whom 3 are still alive, as an adult. When I was working I took in my first as with my work and travel hours I had little time and energy (I used to cycle 10 miles there and 10 miles back) for walking a dog. Combined with their litter tray trainability they are low maintenance. I took in a second to keep the first company and have never had less than two since.

Though they can't be trained to do tricks, fetch, etc, they have acted as guard cats, warning of possible and real burglars. With a dog you are a pack leader, with a cat you are an adoptive mother. I have had them nuzzling my armpit looking for a nipple. So while the relationship has a different basis, it is just as intense. My cats go to great effort just to be beside me, even if there are softer or warmer places elsewhere to snooze.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
He's gone now, but never forgotten.

Sparafucil3

Elder Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dogs have owners, cats have staff. I currently serve as executive chef and house maintenance for two cats (both are now older than 17). -- jim

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Cats have a reputation for aloofness. A partial result is that humans usually don't expect the same emotional commitment and in turn don't give it to the same degree that they give to dogs. When as an adult I took in my first cat I was quite pleasantly surprised with the affection and attachment displayed by him to me. All since have regularly made great attempts to get into the same room with me. Halo is just now "treading" my left arm, a juvenile behaviour continuing their kittenish kneading of their mother's breasts. Sometimes painful but much appreciated.