personal leader rules for SASL

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi All,

just starting A VOTG SASL campaign game and seem to remember from years ago some rules to add yourself in as an additional leader which gains Valor/cowardice points? throught games.

Not sure if I am making this up but checked all my old ASL annuals and mags and cant find anything.

Does anyone remember these rules and where I might find them?

Regards
Simon

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ok thanks I can’t find that annual know I had it before we moved!!!

kynken

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Was this based on the system they had in SL?
I believe they had a campaign or a method to play a leader and have him rise up the ranks with the original SL. It's been a while since I played the OG game, like since the 1980's. I think there was a blank leader counter for this. Maybe this is it?

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe they had a campaign or a method to play a leader and have him rise up the ranks with the original SL. It's been a while since I played the OG game, like since the 1980's. I think there was a blank leader counter for this. Maybe this is it?
Yeah they did, I liked doing that every time I played. My leader usually died though before he could advance very far. I actually started doing something similar for ASL with a hero counter in SASL.

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Found my 95 annual and the rules - I was just going to add a leader in my asl VOTH scenario labled as me and just apply the cowardice/elan points and see what happens - being Stalingrad don’t expect to last very long!!

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
I always use a PL during my campaign games. I replace one of the company leaders with the PL and during the post game refit stage only the non-PL leaders are eligible for promotion (with the PL advancing separately through the elan/cowardice method.) I use the old 'no-name' leader counters from SL for the PL's (at least for the nationalities that were represented in SL.) Eventually snipers tend to get most of 'em.

In addition to the system in the 95 annual, if you can track down ASL Digest Vol 6 #4 there's a slightly different interpretation of the system (the elan/cowardice schedule is a bit different and a bit stingier.) I mildly prefer the version in the Annual, but the Digest version also features a way for your guy to win medals, which is sort of fun.

I once had a Free French leader who started in Algeria/Tunisia in December 1942 and ended up getting killed in the last mission of the war. [He got sniped on the LAST TURN of the game! - Snipers are the leading cause of death for my PLs, even with the usual precautions.]

Last edited:

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks barking monkey - I will dig around and see if I can find the ASL digest must admit never come across this publication
👍
Regards
Simon