Perry Likes

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Now when is someone going to meld the Q&A into the eRB, that's my question. It would be a big undertaking, mostly because so many of the Q&As would require extensive examples to illustrate the relevant points.
You need to see what Perry Sez!!!πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
I would say the more involved the post is that is being liked the less likely it is to know the object of the like.
I concur.

What may seem obvious to you is not always obvious to everyone else.
What seemed obvious to me was the English grammar of the sentence--it had very little to do with ASL. (Any squad may place a foxhole above itself by making a successful dice roll.) To me, "may" merely introduces the action that is permitted upon making a successful dice roll. The construct is equivalent to an if . . then construct: If a squad makes a successful dice roll, then it places a foxhole above itself.

(Even if we were to write it as "If a squad makes a successful dice roll, then it may place a foxhole above itself", the construction still wouldn't give you the option of placing the foxhole under itself.)

This was exemplified by those interpretations of the Foxhole rules different from yours by some extremely experienced players. This is also where I think you are misusing or misunderstanding COWTRA. Remember it is concentrate on what the rules allow not on what they don't specifically prohibit.
From the ASLRB introduction:
For example, if a rule states that a MMC can perform a particular action, then only that unit type can perform itβ€”don’t think that several SMC can do it simply because the rules don’t list that type as being unable to do it.

Let me paraphrase that statement to show you how I think COWTRA applies in this situation:
For example, if a rule states that an MMC, on performing a particular action, is placed beneath a Foxhole counter, then the only possible outcome is that the unit is placed beneath a Foxhole counter--don't think that the MMC has the choice of not being placed beneath the Foxhole counter simply because the rule doesn't prohibit that outcome.

Regardless enjoy the game and remember to roll low.😊
And you too!

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Now when is someone going to meld the Q&A into the eRB, that's my question. It would be a big undertaking, mostly because so many of the Q&As would require extensive examples to illustrate the relevant points.
Some have taken the course to have Q&A as pop-ups in their eASLRB. That way you don't have to reformat the whole thing.

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I concur.

What seemed obvious to me was the English grammar of the sentence--it had very little to do with ASL itself. ("Any squad may place a foxhole above itself by making a DR ≀ 5.") The "may" indicates only that the squad has the choice of attempting the DR.

For example, if a rule states that a MMC can perform a particular action, then only that unit type can perform itβ€”don’t think that several SMC can do it simply because the rules don’t list that type as being unable to do it.

Let me paraphrase that statement to show you how I think COWTRA applies in this situation:
For example, if a rule states that an MMC, on performing a particular action, is placed beneath a Foxhole counter, then the only possible outcome is that the unit is placed beneath a Foxhole counter--don't think that the MMC has the choice of not being placed beneath the Foxhole counter simply because the rule doesn't prohibit that outcome.

And you too!
To me the best example of COWTRA was when someone told Fish that the rules didn't say he couldn't do a particular action. Fish picked up one of the boards, turned it around, put it back down and replied: the rules don't say I can't do that! LMFAO!!!🀣🀣🀣🀣

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I concur.

What seemed obvious to me was the English grammar of the sentence--it had very little to do with ASL itself. (Any squad may place a foxhole above itself by making a successful dice roll.) To me, the "may" indicates only that the squad has the choice of attempting the dice roll.

And you too!
These days I don't roll low I lay low!!πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

Very much enjoy your posts!😊😊😊

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I had this done once upon a time. It just isn't easy is all. -- jim

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My take is that Perry has enough to do.

So when he "likes" a point in a rules debate, I just view it as saving time from the formal process of an official query, response and Journal errata.

Many of these, like the rule debate on digging a foxhole and the excavator's in or out status option, have miniscule effect on the play of a scenario.

The bigger issues will make their way into a Journal, changed divider...

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
My take is that Perry has enough to do.

So when he "likes" a point in a rules debate, I just view it as saving time from the formal process of an official query, response and Journal errata.

Many of these, like the rule debate on digging a foxhole and the excavator's in or out status option, have miniscule effect on the play of a scenario.

The bigger issues will make their way into a Journal, changed divider...
Perry is there to be used and abused!!
What else does he have on his plate anyway??πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€£πŸ€£