Perimeter Tournament Screen Shots & Discussion

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Im beginning to think that POS is simply the screenshot guy, because apart from this aspect hes not really willing or able to give a bit more in depth insights into the games.
Agreed, but perhaps his opponents had some insights they would care to share. There's 25 or so people on that list that played against him. I started an AAR thread in the AAR section but haven't had time to do much with it; however, there is nothing stopping anyone from waxing eloquent here on how their game went, or talking about some finer points of tactics.

Basically, I was disappointed, speaking for myself. After reading all the raving about his tactical prowess, I was very much aware that he was simply playing like a "ladder player", and a sloppy one at that. I really don't feel I learned a single thing, except perhaps the advantage of hiding SMG troops in woods just behind the objective. As for actual tactics, there was nothing of note to learn from our playthrough that wasn't already self-evident.

McIvan

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
In terms of Spike being a "sloppy" player, I venture that anyone playing about 20 games at once of the same scenario is going to get a little vague on what is happening in which. I wouldn't judge Mick on that, when in a specific one on one game that he could devote some attention to, he might be a lot better.

BTW I note that Spike has made and awarded Perimeter "medals" to people from the Blitz that participated....but seems to have forsaken the actual tourney thread here.

Stndrtnfhr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This tourny was a little different from POS. It is essentially a Russian attack/assault at even odds. The Reds have a much more difficult fight to win than the Germans.

The "secret" to my success as the Reds, is no secret at all. Combined Arms and maneuver win the day almost without exception. It takes the combination of mortars, arty, AT guns, tanks and infantry to win. The trick is to pick the right combination and apply them so your opponent has a tough time countering. Evaluating the terrain is essential to making the right picks. In our game POS took 10 MkIVs. Too much armor, to win in that terrain. I took only 5 and two survived, verses only 1 survivor for POS. None of this is new, but sometimes we all need to be reminded, myself included.

The only advantage the Reds have is that they can pick the objectives while the German has to defend all. Just to stir the pot, I would say that I won this tourney as I took the challenge of playing the Reds in an attack/assault at even odds and had the highest score against POS. ;)

Standing by for incoming!!!!!!

Stndrtnfhr Out!

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
This tourny was a little different from POS. It is essentially a Russian attack/assault at even odds. The Reds have a much more difficult fight to win than the Germans.

The "secret" to my success as the Reds, is no secret at all. Combined Arms and maneuver win the day almost without exception. It takes the combination of mortars, arty, AT guns, tanks and infantry to win. The trick is to pick the right combination and apply them so your opponent has a tough time countering. Evaluating the terrain is essential to making the right picks. In our game POS took 10 MkIVs. Too much armor, to win in that terrain. I took only 5 and two survived, verses only 1 survivor for POS. None of this is new, but sometimes we all need to be reminded, myself included.

The only advantage the Reds have is that they can pick the objectives while the German has to defend all. Just to stir the pot, I would say that I won this tourney as I took the challenge of playing the Reds in an attack/assault at even odds and had the highest score against POS. ;)

Standing by for incoming!!!!!!

Stndrtnfhr Out!
I've been saying all along that playing the Russians and playing the Germans is quite different, and the two should be judged separately. It's why I divide the two in my own update screen.

McIvan

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Like JDSU says, however, it helps considerably in that POS is a predictable force picker...he goes armour heavy, all the time, every time. Combined arms will beat it four times out of five.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
DER KUENSTLER WINS THE PERIMETER TOURNEY TROPHY!

This hallowed silver cup will be mailed to his home address..:)

Here's his endgame screen again, he bought no tanks, just a German infantry army backed up by lots of guns and schrecks which ground my armour down to iron filings..

Endgame shot- My Russians gave their all in the meatgrinder assault on the hills outpost; 2 dead German guns, 4 dead T-34's and a crater-pocked landscape attest to the ferocity of the battle..

Endgame shot- In the marshes sector my Russians seized the flag but all the tanks and halftracks were subsequently wrecked and the flag reverted to German possession.(The halftracks were very flimsy, HMG bursts got some of them). 3 x T-34's broke through to the airfield but were wrecked and can be seen littering the runway in background..

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
And below are all the screenshots covering the battle in chronological sequence
(post numbers 91 98 107 138 159 160 193 198)

COMBAT FOOTAGE- hills

Der Kuenstler's Germans have garrisoned this key wood which guards the approach to the flag in background; my T-34's can't see deeply enough into the trees to engage them so i send in a massive infantry attack to flush them out..

------------------------------------------------------------

COMBAT FOOTAGE- hills

Der Kuenstler's Germans give my Russian infantry a bloody nose..
Even with T-34's in close support, his gun and infantry cut down my boys as they attempt to cross nomansland..

-----------------------------------------------------------

COMBAT FOOTAGE- hills

Der Kuenstler's gun goes on a killing spree, knocking out these 2 x T-34's in quick succession, while his infantry slaughter my Russian infantry wave.
The gun was engaged by the tanks and some infantry but still kept on firing while no doubt shouting to his mates- "hey kameraden, i'll show you how to win the Iron Cross!"

---------------------------------------------------------

COMBAT FOOTAGE- marshes

After capturing the marshes outpost at bott left, I wheel my T-34/85's into line astern formation for an attack on the richest prize on the map- Der Kuenstler's airfield..

But before I can move off he launches a spoiling attack with a fusillade of schrecks and fausts (red fire lanes) killing two T-34's and making the rest mill around in confusion. Only the T-34 leader gets through and finds himself alone at the tip of the arrow, frantically radioing "where are my comrades?"

The punch-drunk T-34's turrets swing like crazy looking for whoever's firing at them..

--------------------------------------------------------

COMBAT FOOTAGE- airfield

Der Kuenstler's German squad punishes my T-34 for breaking the first rule in the tank driver's handbook-"Never drive within 40metres (grenade-throwing range) of any terrain that could be concealing enemy infantry"
(Okay i'll take the rap for driving them too close but my excuse is they'd been under schreck attack from behind in the previous turn and I was racing them down the runway to get away in a hurry..)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
COMBAT FOOTAGE- hills

At last I'm able to silence Der Kuenstler's troublesome gun, just look at the havoc its been wreaking against my T-34's..
My last 2 T-34's can't see it (and it can't see them) because of intervening smoke from burning wrecks, so I use the well-known tactic of area-firing into the ground next to the gun, and the blast knocks it out.
(Note the blank panel (white circle) in its datastrip, that's how we know if a gun or infantry unit is kaput)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

COMBAT FOOTAGE- airfield

With this battle in overtime I play my final card against the main flag by sending 2 x T-34's to establish a presence near it to hopefully at least turn it neutral, I kept them in the centre of the runway out of grenade range but Der Kuenstler's invisible schrecks/fausts mercilessly cut them down. (The third T-34 in flames further down the runway was brewed by a grenade a few turns previously)

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
FINAL PERIMETER TOURNEY RANKINGS

Red=beat POS, Amber=Drew, Green=POS won.
Number to right of dash is POS's score.
Figure in brackets is the one that counts to decide the tourney champion, it's the points differential between winner and loser. Listing is in alphabetical order where scores are tied

Der Kuenstler (Ger) 86-14 (+72)
RNL Tiger (Ger) 84-16 (+68)
GAZ NZ (Ger) 79-21 (+58)
ER Chaser (Ger) 78-22 (+56)
Tripps (Ger) 71-29 (+42)
Huzaar (Ger) 70-30 (+40)
Mt.Carmel Hill (Ger) 70-30 (+40)
Stndrtnfhr (Russ) 70-30 (+40)
2054172 (Ger) 68-32 (+36)
Waleed (Ger) 67-33 (+34)
Combat Wombat (Ger) 62-38 (+24)
Herrbixx (Ger) 62-38 (+24)

Seel (Ger) 56-44 (+12)
CMant (Russ) 45-55 (-10)
Odies (Russ) 45-55 (-10)

Mugger2006 (Ger) 42-58 (-16)
Andre (Ger) 41-59 (-18)
Airborne Bob (Ger) 40-60 (-20)
Michael Dorosh (Russ) 40-60 (-20)
Mangus2000 (Russ) 31-69 (-38)
Bert Blitzkrieg (Russ) 28-72 (-44)
Guderian (Ger) 5-95 (-90)

POS Won=7, Drew=3, Lost=12
Germans won 14, Russians won 5
Tourney ended June 30th 2008
(4 players didn't beat the finish deadline, one of the games is still ongoing but the final result won't count for the tourney. The other 3 vanished for various reasons)

Note- All competitors who are members of the Blitz club will find the Perimeter cyber-medal in their player stats over there, plus 50 bonus Blitz ladder points (100 for winner Der Kuenstler)
I've organised 5 Tourneys over the past year and every competitor gets a cyber-medal at Blitz as below

Last edited:

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thank You POS for your time here and effort in this great tourney. You are always welcome. :smoke:

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
Thank you POS, your efforts are definitely appreciated. Well Done! :thumup: