Per the new SMOKE q&a

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
q&a said:
A24.4 Smoke height

The example states "Squad A fires at squad D with a +3 Smoke DRM for firing down through (but not out of) the Smoke in I4".

Question 1.

If squad A was at level 3, would it still incur a +3 Smoke DRM for firing down through the Smoke in I4?

Question 2.

Would the +3 DRM for the aforementioned attack from level 2 apply regardless of the range to squad D? From level 3?

Yes to both.

....Perry
In this example where hexes are SSR'd to level three (the magenta level counters), the hindrance for squad A using the new ruling is +3 while the hindrance for squad B, using standard blind hex rules, is +0 even though the LOS from squad A has to be above the LOS from squad B at every point at the same distance from squad D.

SmokeLevelThree.jpg

The simple answers that avoid having use trigonometry are, "No from level three, yes from level two at any range, no from level three at any range" (there are three questions, not two as Perry implies).

If you wanted to make a special case, you might say that at levels higher than two the SMOKE hindrance only applies against adjacent hexes.

Sigh.

JR

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Maybe some of the Smoke in G4 drifts up and gets into the eyes of the 6-6-6 squad. :)

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe some of the Smoke in G4 drifts up and gets into the eyes of the 6-6-6 squad. :)
Perry has been involved with ASL for a long time, maybe he's had a senior moment and forgot the rule wording has been changed to Location and not hex - hey, anything's possible.:rolleyes::D

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Perry has been involved with ASL for a long time, maybe he's had a senior moment and forgot the rule wording has been changed to Location and not hex - hey, anything's possible.:rolleyes::D
I think part of the problem is that "Location" is not defined when being "in mid air". It is not defined how (indeed if) a LOS from an upper level Location goes through a Location in a lower level Location of the same hex.

It is easier when the LOS does not start in the SMOKE hex, because then one can (not sure it is actually in the rules, but it could be) play that if the SMOKE was an obstacle and it would block the LOS, then the SMOKE DRM applies - but that doesn't work in this case.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Seems wrong ruling to me as it violates the general rule of reciprocity.

My mistake, misread the Q&A.

Rich

Last edited:

Jeff Sewall

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No, reciprocity still applies. A to D is +3; D to A is +3. B to D is +0; D to B is +0. JR's point is the strange difference in the LOS from A to D vs B to D, which has nothing to do with reciprocity.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I'm not sure what you mean here. The reciprocal LOSes, D-to-A and D-to-B, would also have +3 and +0 SMOKE hindrances, AFAIK.

JR

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I think you may be expanding the Q&A past it's purpose. It deals with the example in A24.4 where squad A and D are adjacent. The smoke woukd apply from the extra height as it goes through the some via trig.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The smoke woukd apply from the extra height as it goes through the some via trig.
I suppose "trig" here refers to trigonometry... and the LOS rules about Blind Hexes make it very clear that trigonometry has no say in this game.