PBEM Players

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Is it that you don't have an hour or 2 to play a VASL game or is it just that you don't want to play FtF?

VASL is a great tool, but ASL is sooo agonizingly slow in PBEM...one of the worst games to play by Email.

I've done it... its exciting to get a log every 3rd day or have 3-5 games running....For whatever reason, about 80% of my games never get completed....

If someone can list what preference over PBEM over say one turn i.e. an hour.....PBEM log takes probably 30 min. to complete if a med to small scenario.

:)

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is it that you don't have an hour or 2 to play a VASL game or is it just that you don't want to play FtF?

VASL is a great tool, but ASL is sooo agonizingly slow in PBEM...one of the worst games to play by Email.

I've done it... its exciting to get a log every 3rd day or have 3-5 games running....For whatever reason, about 80% of my games never get completed....

If someone can list what preference over PBEM over say one turn i.e. an hour.....PBEM log takes probably 30 min. to complete if a med to small scenario.

If it's not your cup of tea, don't play. Nuff said! Why a tirade against a system you don't intend to use? Feel better now?

Fiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden

I have played many pbem scenarios and 10 finished CGs (RB3, FB3, Hatten *2, Edsons Ridge *2). THE key is to fond opponents that can send files daily and who are able to cope with uncertainities. A certain skill in identify which key movements that other moves depends on helps. Usually you can proceed with moves om the other flank while waiting to find out result from THE crucial one.

Pbem is not for everyone but very rewarding for those whom it does fit. For me there is a extreme satisfaction factor in playing a game where my play is much more thought through and rule errors much less frequent as the rules can be checked without wasting play time.

With that said I prefer live ftf play before pbem but for certain situations pbem is the only viable alternative. Try playing live ftf ASL on a commuter train, during lunch hour, at late evenings when the kids has finally gone to sleep etc...

/S

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
If it's not your cup of tea, don't play. Nuff said! Why a tirade against a system you don't intend to use? Feel better now?
Why respond to a thread that you have no intention of a answering the question
If so many people say that face-to-face is the best way to go, why don't you just simply play face to face considering the time constraints that I already listed above?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The reason I responded at all was I thought this was so out of character for you. Even in heated rules discussions your responses are usually well though out and presented in a fashion that encourages discussion, not just a diatribe of opinion that belittles others or the way they approach the game. Now I realize you might have had a bad day, little hungover, or whatever, but I had hoped my response would jiggle you back on track. As to why I would not respond to WHAT question? It was quite obvious you had made up your mind and were taking a salient position that probably could not be altered or influenced anyway; there was simply no point in a response other than from the gut argument that would accomplish little except start another tirade.

Best to you, roll low and have a great day.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I'm not saying PBEM is horrible.
It's just that in the Opponents Wanted...ALL I see is PBEM games 90% of the time.
We can agree that PBEM isn't the best Venue for ASL...I know some players have VERY short periods of time available and they cant play more than an HOUR. That's fine.

BUT, for those that DO have the time to play at least 2 hours...(the length of most movies)
why preference PBEM over FtF? Especially with Skype and Discord so easily useable.

I'm PST and the amount of players in FtF normally available to someone from EST is lower.
  1. most of the players are In the EAST.. and that they are only about 4-5 hrs off from EU.
  2. When I get home in the eves...(traditional work schedule) Everyone is getting off when Im getting on. So, I can see PBEM being a better option...
  3. BUT lets not forget the Aussies, Kiwis, and Asian communities. Late eves (8pm) is there Noon hour most of the time. Also, EU is 8 hrs different (UK) and 9-10hrs for the Scandanavian Crew and Eastern EU players. That can be a little trickier if you don't/can't stay up late. (for us PSTers)
So, PBEM is fine and dandy, but my experience with a "random" player (i.e. not my GO TO game players/ I do this for variety) is that most games are conceded far too early or just get dropped... I'd like to think my actions aren't the cause of that but you never know considering I'm unlikely to "know" the player.

Its just an observation and a request as to why some players SOLICIT PBEM over FtF games.
I find FtF games, when Joined, are less likely to be given up so easily.

Thanks!!!

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Eagle4ty,
Yes, in my aging process I'm getting less tolerant of jab remarks in any thread.

If someone asks something stupid, Which I may have been perceived as such....then simply refrain from replying.
This is a major problem on GS for me and many others that occasionally visit.

The discussions CAN be very good....but just as BAD in the same body of comments. It doesn't solicit new readers to entice responses.
Just look at the amount of responses on FB. MANY people reply all the time...YES its easier, and many answers aren't correct, but its the healthy conversation that is desired...I'm sure most will agree.

I wish I would read more entries here on GS, but it just hasn't evolved in 20yrs.
I'm just babbling now...waiting to go out to a Haz Mat call...
But no worries.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
LOL and considering you and Fiedler are the only responses in a couple days...given the amount of PBEM requests...
I can only think they simply don't want to respond as to why for someone to tell them to PLAY MORE ASL FtF.
I'm just curious as to why so much PBEM....I'm a guy that likes to know things just to know and not to pry.

I could digress about the complete LACK of replays on YouTube...I get tired of watching my own Shit.
AAR's to me, while can be very detailed, and impressive amounts of work are kinda boring....I'd like to "experience" the ASL game vs reading about it.

I'm sure people think YT is boring as well. I'm ok with that, because much of it is.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
For me :: PBEM is not about not having the time.

PBEM is about not having/being to COMMIT to a time with another chap. PBEM is about being able to pull a couple of moves (and if I can't get done in one sitting, over several sitting) when and where I can get a few minutes, in bits and pieces if needed be.

PBEM is also about when I don't have a connection / don't want to be on public wifi : at the rink, in a cafe, in a car in the middle of Mumbai/Dubai/Jakarta/Bangkok, or inflight.

I do 3 or 4 regular live VASL plays a week for the last 6 years. The rest are PBEMs just so I can play more. I have off game relationships with my PBEM opponents so I don't really see "dropouts". Dropouts are largely from new folks who are dabbling and I expect that - I look at the newbies who get in and not the newbies who dropout.

I do live VASL & PBEM, some of my opponents do FtF, VASL & PBEM. They are not mutually exclusive.

Any chance I can play more ASL, I do.

Last edited:

JAGgamer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't live the exotic lifestyle that Jack lives, but I have similar issues. Work & family commitments, those pesky real life complications, make scheduling a nightmare. I try to play 2 vasl and one cardboard game per week with my extremely patient regular opponents. Patient because my schedule changes weekly and we've gone 60 days trying to finish a 5 turn scenario. They have to wait on me and my availability. PBEM play lets me get SOME ASL play when I can run a turn and I don't have to "herd cats" with my opponent. I appreciate my PBEM regulars and my FTF/VASL regulars very much!

Reaction score
First name
Ricardo
Country
llSpain
I have to say that Pbem has helped increased greatly the number of scenarios I’ve been able to play in the last couple of years (I’m a beginner), life and work preventing from playing more live games. My favourite option is FTF (only at tournaments since there are no local players in my area) then live VASL and Pbem as a last resort. I agree with Jack, it’s the lack of committing specific times that favours Pbem.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I have to say that Pbem has helped increased greatly the number of scenarios I’ve been able to play in the last couple of years (I’m a beginner), life and work preventing from playing more live games. My favourite option is FTF (only at tournaments since there are no local players in my area) then live VASL and Pbem as a last resort. I agree with Jack, it’s the lack of committing specific times that favours Pbem.
Totally agree, I remember having 6 going at one time... I was like a kid coming home to XMAS everyday from work anticipating the moves of my opponents...there is THAT going for PBEM..!!!
Maybe I just need a steady partner

SFiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Can the guys that contacted me privately about PBEM contact me again, I seem to have lost your replies..

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I actually want to play more live VASL... (BTW I have experienced only very occassional player flake -outs in PBEM. Not finishing a high% of games seems like bad luck). But the hassle and commitment of arranging a suitable time with an opponent is what holds me back.

I have a horror of committing to something and then no-showing... so I will only schedule a time that I know I won't flake on.... I generally can't make that commitment more than a day or two ahead of time. And finding an opponent and getting it going on that short notice is not so convenient or stress free... in the end PBEM is so much more flexible.

What I wish... was there was a good way to run up a spur of the moment game request (the built in thing in the vasl game browser isnt very practical imo). I have at times considered posting to this board something like this....
SAMPLE:

Hey its Fri Nite 6pm EST Oct 31 2017... I am available for VASL skype play this evening ... ping me with a message and your skype contact if you want a game.... I have scenario XYZ map and OB file ready to go awaiting setup. If you are reading this message, i am.still looking for a game. Post will be deleted when I get a game or go to bed, whichever comes first.

I've never seen an opponent wanted like that... and I wonder if it's appropriate? it is using the board less like a forum and more like a chat mesaging app or something. If lots of people did this it might be cluttery... but at the same time lots of people hanging out a flag saying available for game wouldnt be such a bad thing, would it?

Any and all thoughts on this welcomed.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I see no issue in posting on Facebook for an opponent
I kinda schedule like you

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah but I'd have to use facebook (which I loathe
and almost never use... i have posted to asl groips occassionally... its worth a thought.)

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Nah
Never use but for the group.
Otherwise ignore
Your responses will be faster

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'll give it a try on the Fb VASL players group see how it goes.

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Discord!?... do I look like teenager to you?? sigh ... I guess my future is now. I have no idea how to use that invite but... thanks much... my (teenage video addicted) son will render technology aid.