PbEM dice log?

geezer

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Has anybody tried using a dice log while playing by email?

Dicelog.com has such a program. Every DR is recorded on a website that can be accessed by both players. Logs cannot be reopened and DR rerolled. This would greatly reduce any temptation to cheat, and more importantly, to suspect your opponent of cheating.

Would someone like to try it out with me with a scenario to see how well it works out?

How could such a feature be implemented in VASL?

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
VASL already has a feature that links die rolls to random.org. However, this doesn't stop people from re-rolling critical first die rolls over and over to get what they want in PBEM. But if you want to use dicelog.com or something like it in VASL, it's easy to use in conjunction with your normal logging of a turn in VASL. But I usually stick to VASL for ftf play live online and rely on the random.org built in feature. The actual VASL die roller that comes with VASSAL can be easily manipulated by the unscrupulous.

I've used a similar program for other VASSAL-based games via PBEM as well as for Cyberboard to prevent rerolling of dice before logging what is a desired outcome.

are you wanting to play PBEM? The problem with VASL PBEM is that it can be quite tedious if there is a lot of maneuver and Defensive First Fire, requiring many multiple mailings to finish a movement phase.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I have been doing PBeMs aside from weekly live VASL games for 5 years now (time flies!) .. running 6 to 8 PBeM games at the moment although at one point I had 13 PBeMs on top of live VASL.

Heres the thing - I don't play anyone I don't trust. My opponents and I got into pretty good patterns now and PBeMs are not tedious.

Folks I don't trust last 1 game, worthwhile just to know people. I do PBeM with new folks too .. good in that they can take the time to think and to read up the rules. I was given the chance to do the same when I was taught by those who are better than me.

Having said all this - the Dicelog.com features don't sound half bad .. perhaps this way we can do PBeM tournaments. Will take a look - thanks!

Rgds Jack

Last edited:

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
yes, with common experience the tedium drops but for example, we were playing a desert scenario PBEM with a lot of maneuver and it didn't matter that we had done many games PBEM, each movement phase for the attacker took a lot of time.

If you are in a tournament, often you'll be playing someone new to you, there is no way to trust them and you can't avoid them, either. For this reason I don't play tourneys that are PBEM anymore. But yes, with the die tracker, it would be possible.

I'm game to give it a try to see how it goes if you want to give it a shot, geezer, send me a PM.

Jack did you want to set up a PBEM tournament...?... it seems you know a lot of PBEMers and have a lot of experience. I am playing in one live VASL tournament but it's difficult to do more than one, given time constraints.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
yes, with common experience the tedium drops but for example, we were playing a desert scenario PBEM with a lot of maneuver and it didn't matter that we had done many games PBEM, each movement phase for the attacker took a lot of time.

If you are in a tournament, often you'll be playing someone new to you, there is no way to trust them and you can't avoid them, either. For this reason I don't play tourneys that are PBEM anymore. But yes, with the die tracker, it would be possible.

I'm game to give it a try to see how it goes if you want to give it a shot, geezer, send me a PM.

Jack did you want to set up a PBEM tournament...?... it seems you know a lot of PBEMers and have a lot of experience. I am playing in one live VASL tournament but it's difficult to do more than one, given time constraints.
I appreciate the offer!

I helped ran / promoted / organized 3 FtF tournaments. Never did a PBeM one though. Nor did I ever participated in a VASL tournament 'cause my available times are very particular since I don't let VASL times cut into my family time. I have a good solid group of opponents that I "meet" online weekly. We play some and we talk some. Nothing else but ASL offer an excuse to talk to a great bunch of guys on a weekly basis.

If nothing else I am looking to cut down my concurrent # of games. Feel rather burnt out some days (I have 6 CGs running, for starters.). So no PBeM Tournaments for the time being! :)

Rgds Jack

KenH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Has anybody tried using a dice log while playing by email?

Dicelog.com has such a program. Every DR is recorded on a website that can be accessed by both players. Logs cannot be reopened and DR rerolled. This would greatly reduce any temptation to cheat, and more importantly, to suspect your opponent of cheating.

Would someone like to try it out with me with a scenario to see how well it works out?

How could such a feature be implemented in VASL?
Geezer,

If you are still looking for a game using the dicelog.com concept, let me know. Am game!

Ken

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have been doing PBeMs aside from weekly live VASL games for 5 years now (time flies!) .. running 6 to 8 PBeM games at the moment although at one point I had 13 PBeMs on top of live VASL.

Heres the thing - I don't play anyone I don't trust. My opponents and I got into pretty good patterns now and PBeMs are not tedious.

Folks I don't trust last 1 game, worthwhile just to know people. I do PBeM with new folks too .. good in that they can take the time to think and to read up the rules. I was given the chance to do the same when I was taught by those who are better than me.

Having said all this - the Dicelog.com features don't sound half bad .. perhaps this way we can do PBeM tournaments. Will take a look - thanks!

Rgds Jack
this, If I was worried about the veracity of the guy across the virtual game board from me, I would not playing ASL, or any other game for that matter, with him. PBEM implies a level of trust in one's opponent - and it is the opponent and their approach and attitude, which is why I play ASL, not to win or lose, in the first place. (Probably why, after over 600 games since my 1989 SL to ASL conversion, I can only manage a roughly 50/50 win/loss ratio. :D .... )