PBEM - a newbie question

Johnny Canuck

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
How is it possible to play PBEM VASL when the defender can opportunity fire at any time during your movement phase?

Would you:

1) Move 1 unit one hex at a time?
2) Move your unit(s), only to find out you've got to backtrack for opportunity fire?
3) Something else?

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
atuline said:
3) Something else?
Typically, you will move a couple units per mailing with instructions on what to do if the defender fires. This can be as simple as, "stop and return to me if you break a unit" to any combination of results. You can certainly send a one hex move, but they are not the norm. Usually you want to send a portion of all your units' movements that you feel comfortable with. The trade off is between speed of play and the control you get when playing FTF.

Matt Romey

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
Andrew,

Check out my article regarding VASL pbem for "Hit the Beach", our newsletter here in Southern California.

VASL pbem article

It starts on page 4. Hope it helps.

Matt Romey

Johnny Canuck

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Matt Romey said:
Andrew,

Check out my article regarding VASL pbem for "Hit the Beach", our newsletter here in Southern California.

VASL pbem article

It starts on page 4. Hope it helps.

Matt Romey
Thanks Matt. The key here looks like the ability to step through the log files and deviate from them as necessary. I'll probably want to start up a PBEM game in a few weeks once I've gone through some more rules.

Had my first complete (and ftf) games on the weekend with a couple of experienced players (Rick White and Jay White). Long day, lots of fun.

Thanks!

(Oh, and Bruce, I didn't see your message until today. I'm sure it wasn't me, as I only use '[DP]Johnny Canuck' when playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein or Enemy Territory'.