Patton’s Best

jguritza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just got this last night and I am eager to crack the rules open. It is an older Avalon Hill solitaire game. Does anyone out there have an experience they can bestow on me? Our likes and dislikes of the game?

Reaction score
Originally posted by jguritza
I just got this last night and I am eager to crack the rules open. It is an older Avalon Hill solitaire game. Does anyone out there have an experience they can bestow on me? Our likes and dislikes of the game?
Have had the game since it came out. If you are a real armor buff, you will probably like this game. I didn't think it was great, but I found I got attached to my units.

In early games it bogged down while I got used to the mechanics. As I learned the system, the game began to speed up.

I haven't played in over ten years (raising my kids, little time, and no space to lay out games, until recently) but remember it well enough to know I would play it again. Will have to wait until the current ACG Diplomacy games ends.

jguritza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well seeming I am out of that current Diplomacy game fate would have it I stumbled onto this game. Several years ago maybe almost 10, I was in a local hobby story and they had B-17 Queen of the Skies and Patton’s Best. I looked at both and settled on B-17. B-17 and was a game I could play a few missions a night and learned the system rather quickly. I played B-17 through college as a study break and always said I would go back and get Patton’s Best. When I finally did the shop was gone. Now I have it and I am looking forward to playing.

Reaction score
Well seeming I am out of that current Diplomacy game fate would have it I stumbled onto this game. Several years ago maybe almost 10, I was in a local hobby story and they had B-17 Queen of the Skies and Patton’s Best. I looked at both and settled on B-17. B-17 and was a game I could play a few missions a night and learned the system rather quickly. I played B-17 through college as a study break and always said I would go back and get Patton’s Best. When I finally did the shop was gone. Now I have it and I am looking forward to playing.
Enjoy.

Where you could fly group missions with B-17, I do not recall if you could play platoon missions in Patton's Best.

MCranmer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've had Patton's Best for years, and never played it. I do play B-17 a lot (now have a bomber up to mission 10!) but I'm going to have to pull Patton's Best out and give it a try.

jguritza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have a new bomber on its 7 mission. I can not get a bomber past mission 13. At or before that point I lose the plane!

Reaction score
I have a new bomber on its 7 mission. I can not get a bomber past mission 13. At or before that point I lose the plane!
Have you gotten a crew past mission 13?

Just goes to show you, that statistically, the game is pretty close to reality.

MCranmer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had one bomber get into it's 20's, but I've never made 25. This bomber already has lost two pilots who were seriously wounded and sent home, as well as a waist gunner KIA. Mission 8 had to be aborted (although it was allowable to count it toward mission total per the rules) after the compartment heat was knocked out to the nose section, as well as losing the top turret, having a wounded pilot and engineer, leaking gas tank on the port side, and no radio. Thankfully, I was only three zones out and managed to get turned around and back safe, but man, it really makes me understand how dangerous it was.
It's interesting, because I used to go to church with a gentleman who had been a ball turret gunner in a B-17, and flew 30 missions over Germany. By the time he got there fighter cover had been extended and the Luftwaffe was beaten up pretty good, but he still had a turret literally shot out from under him, leaving him hanging by the safety belts, but miraculously unharmed. He said when he scrambled back into the body of the plane with the help of the radio operator, they started laughing because he was white as a sheet. (I'd probably be changin' my underwear after that). Overall he always seemed pretty willing to talk about it. It was just a job that had to be done.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I never made it to 25 but once lost a plane and all hands to a lucky shot on Mission 1.

There are some forums out on the internet that do whole bomb group campaigns and record their progress.

Reaction score
Originally posted by pirateship1982
I never made it to 25 but once lost a plane and all hands to a lucky shot on Mission 1.

There are some forums out on the internet that do whole bomb group campaigns and record their progress.
Can you provide some links?