Patriots' spying has teams wondering if New England cheated in 2005.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
In a football video game you can sit back and watch the plays as much as you want. But is it fair to do this for real? The NFL doesn't think so. Apparently, the Patriots have been caught spying on other teams and accusations are flying over how far back the asuse goes.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-eagles-nflspying&prov=ap&type=lgns

Yahoo said:
On Thursday, New England coach Bill Belichick was fined the NFL maximum of $500,000 and the Patriots were ordered to pay $250,000 for spying on an opponent's defensive signals. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell also ordered the team to give up next year's first-round draft choice if it reaches the playoffs and second- and third-round picks if it doesn't.
Some players are convinced the Patriots have been cheating for years and are calling for the Patriots to forfeit their recent Super Bowl Championship titles.

Yahoo said:
Pittsburgh wide receiver Hines Ward said this week that he suspected the Patriots had some type of inside information on the Steelers before at least one of the teams' two AFC championship game matchups since the 2001 season. While Ward said the Patriots knew a lot of Pittsburgh's calls, none of the Eagles could offer any type of solid proof of any shenanigans.
Is this the end or is there more trouble ahead for the Patriots?

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think this is a bit overblown. Most people (including coaches) that are retired say this stuff goes on all the time. It was claimed that the Jets were doing in the same game from the coaches booth. I think what has the Pats in trouble is Belichick's arrogance in continuing to do it even after being warned. Using video to do it is not much easier than a coach in the coaching using bino's and a pad of paper. Tony Dungy is infamous for stealing signs. What the Pats did wrong was continuing to use a camera after being told not to.

Both the Broncos and the 49er's were caught hiding salary to keep star players in their heydays and no one is calling for their victories to be taken away.

normal_man

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I heard the Patriots are going to get sued for cheating in past games. How many other teams are doing the same thing?

Skirmisher

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I heard the Patriots are going to get sued for cheating in past games. How many other teams are doing the same thing?

The lawsuits were dropped. It's funny how the media can blow everything way out of proportion. Even funnier that people listen to it.

Back in the 70's hollywood Henderson of the Dallas Cowboys used to snort coke during the games,I think thats alot worse of an offense. Filming other teams actions doesn't put points on the board on gameday...