This thread for sale

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
That song won a grammy I believe...I saw it was hocked on one of those Pawn shop shows...

Anyway, No Patch 4.0? No Nothing? wouldn't they want to unleash a patch on the unsuspecting public, before they release any of the other promises? Just to find the obvious patch-problems?

Steve is busy...I saw him just yesterday or so locking up a thread because he predetermined that it would 'go political'...that is, after he gave a little Ukraine speech...

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Combat Misshun, I'm depending on ya soon...
Every employee gone ya fool

Food Bank is nooooooooooooooow, the trust for Maine's tools

SG gone in the down-celler,
musty uniforms gonna seller

Losin' hair and grinning wildly
Leads the pledge for the assemblee

Town folk smirk at him and seeeee
he needs to pay the land penalties

OH! Patches!
We're depending on you 'Judge's Son'
You been wed now and coding times done

You had such FUUUUN before CM2 begun

Why work so hard and slave?
MikeyD is underpaid
He waxes so efforlessly
To keep the twits and geeks off-key

All the dummies that get a freebeeeee
CM under dat xmas tree
They think so happileeee
Cause they post so deleriously

PATCHES! Were depending on ya soon
The developer line is ruined

WE JUUUUUUST a couple CM tools.

{Thank you...}

[[Yeah..its a daleM goof....jeesh]]

Last edited:

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
The primary problem with patches is threefold:

1. We have to make and test five separate builds. We can not assume that if a tweak is made for one that it works for all, nor can we assume that avoiding unintended negative consequences in one game means all games will avoid new problems. This is time consuming to do.

2. We have to update all the full game installers (perhaps not right away), which is a separate process than #1 and also very time consuming.

3. We have limited time, therefore spending time on patches means not spending time on other things.

This has always been the case, and will always be the case. It's just that prior to Engine 4 we also had a fourth problem which was different CM games were using different versions of code so either Charles had to "port" fixes from the current code back to old code or would have to spend time bringing older games up to newer standards before a fix could be made. It took is nearly 4 months to update CMFI's code... just to give you an idea

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Ugh, so he is saying "a Patch for one is a Patch for all"? I don't buy it. They are all separate 'families'. The patches don't have to cross fams, they just need to work in a fam.

#2 smells like a #2. He even says so? What does it have to do with anything? He wants these compartmented families, and now he uses it as an excuse for low output? "It is what it Is" why? "Because it was what it was".

They (They being his Royal 'We') have limited time. Seems almost endless actually.

At this point, why would anyone pre-order? The whole new-biz model has collapsed into another SG slippery-slope.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
As we are the eve of a major patches announcement, I would just like to say that I am very optimistic that all the obvious bugs I have reported through the BF website might actually get fixed. Finally. Or maybe later.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Ponderous! He makes Hillary seem believable!

Patches for all five existing CM2 Families are coming right on the heals of the CMSF2 release. This is a lot later than they should be out to you guys, and we are very sorry for it, however we feel realistically that's the best we can do at this point. That's the short answer for you.
The longer explanation is the nature of CM2 has thrown us a bit of a curveball that requires us to change the way we patch. In hindsight we should have figured this out months ago, however with our plates as full as they are we didn't see where this would end up until recently.
Since the very beginning of CM1 we pretty much worked on one game at a time. We'd fix things for the next game, make sure they were working fine, release that game, then patch the previous game. That worked fine up until the five Family Game Engine 4 Upgrade came out and we now had to make sure that fixes worked equally well for five games all at the same time. Given the complexity of CM2 games there's a lot that goes into making sure we're not putting out a bad patch and having to go right back into patching again.
The primary problem is with a dozen or two fixes queued up, the chances that a fix might not work correctly, or in fact cause a new problem, for one or more of the five (soon to be six) games is pretty good. Especially when you consider that the Game Engine code is always being worked on, which means we have to make sure brand new code doesn't mess up things for older releases. That's a lot of work for our testers.
The solution we came up with is to cut down on the complexity of any one patch. Instead of having dozens of fixes in one patch we'll keep it down to the bare minimum, release a patch fairly quickly, then let some time go by and patch another modest number of fixes, and repeat as often as needed. It's too late to adopt this strategy now, so we have to wait until CMSF2 is out the door before going through the patch process.
OK, I can hear some of saying that an alternative solution is to put out "beta patches". Sorry, no. As soon as gamers are given something that is called "beta" they start thinking they are beta testers and wanting to have their 2 cents of input on everything. Not just stuff we're trying to fix but stuff that isn't even broken. This creates entitlement that we can't possibly live up to, which means we get slammed. In short, we try to do something good and get treated like bad guys. No, that's not a road we want to go down.
There you have it. The long explanation of how we got to this point and our plans for addressing it in the future.
Steve

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
on the heels of
phrase of heel

1. 1.
    following closely after.
    "September frosts would be on the heels of the dog days of August"

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Will CMSF II be released with the patch fixes already in?
Yup! The fixes made to the Engine 4 code are automatically included, which is why we can't retroactively patch the AI proactive fire behavior without also patching in untested new code. Hence the need to do pretty intensive testing.
After the next round of patches we're going to approach things differently. When a serious issue is found with the released games we'll stop what we're doing to the Game Engine for the next game, make patches based on the current code, and get them out to you. What this does is limit the divergence of the released code (what you guys have to play with) and the current state of the Game Engine (what we're working on internally). Limiting the divergence means an easier time verifying the patches are good to go.
Steve
I guess that means CMSFII is 'fully' patched in? Not incrementally patched? Bottom line is that they were doing something wrong, and now will do things like most people would. Eh, for the price, and knowing how long it will actually take them to get to things I REALLY want to buy, I will pop for CMSFII.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Coming up on, what?, 11 months almost? Seems as fresh as ever! This is the road they are going down on....

And, I notice many issues with the supposed patched CMSF2, but at this point, what's the point of caring?

• Administrators
  • 29,832 posts
Posted June 3, 2018
Patches for all five existing CM2 Families are coming right on the heals of the CMSF2 release. This is a lot later than they should be out to you guys, and we are very sorry for it, however we feel realistically that's the best we can do at this point. That's the short answer for you.........................................

blah,blah,blah,blah, etc., ad infinitum

...............................There you have it. The long explanation of how we got to this point and our plans for addressing it in the future.
Steve