Partisan question

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
stupid question here guys,
but, do the partisans use RUSSIAN leader counters?

I'm assuming they do seeing as how they use Russian counters but I'm not 100% certain

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
They have their own counter art, but they're otherwise indistinguishable from Russian leaders.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
hmmm, so any Russian leader counter is good then? or it it ones without helmets on?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
hmmm, so any Russian leader counter is good then? or it it ones without helmets on?
The ones with berets instead of helmets were provided with the Partisan counters. Partisan leaders are not elite and do not have any effect over non-Partisan forces [A25.24], so if there is a mixed force you should use partisan counters for partisan leaders to avoid confusion.

JR

Last edited:

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
thanks, I'll doublecheck those tomorrwo then
too late in the day to do it now
been stuck on the computer for the last 4-5 hours trying to pin down what units fled to the north with the X-MAS for a scenario I'm working on, got the Black Brigades division pinned down fairly easily but not hte Germans, they're either a volksgrenadier unit or just going to have to be 'remnants of 14th army'

thanks for the help, appreciated

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
To save you some time, you have lost your partisan leader counters.

JR

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One of my pet peeves: Players who use the partisan leaders for Russians and vice-versa. Worse than clipped and un-clipped counters together.

No wait, maybe not.

Last edited:

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
heh, heh I use clipped and unclipped together all the time:nod:

cat's still breaking stuff too, chewing the doors at the moment:eek:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Alan, don't forget the no deployment and no fire group SSR's so frequently used for Partisans are just that, SSR's. If you don't put those SSR's in there, they firegroup, deploy, recombine etc, just like everybody else.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
oh darn, thanks man, I would have totally missed that and just assumed they were in effect anyhow

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
I just saw a game with old school blue Finn leader with Germans And said the same thing!
One of my pet peeves: Players who use the partisan leaders for Russians and vice-versa. Worse than clipped and un-clipped counters together.

No wait, maybe not.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Apart from the usual SSR's about deployment and multi hex fire groups, you might consider not penalising Partisans use of DCs (FTs a different matter). Today's headlines are witness to modern guerillas ability with things that go bang. In the opposite direction, requirement to use crews for MMG/HMG (and possibly light mortars) a la the Japanese, is another possibility..

Worse than clipped and un-clipped counters together.
Maybe the unclipped are bringing the clipped to the concentration camp? :(

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I should have qualified my MMG/HMG crew usage requirement SSR as it should only be invoked in historically justified situations. A long established partisan unit that had access to such weapons for some time would not be a suitable candidate for such a SSR, but a small or new unit that had just got some parachuted advisers along with the MMG/HMG might be a good pick for such a SSR.

Don't forget that some partisan forces ended up more like regulars later in the war. Tito's forces became practically a real army by '44 or so and some Soviet partisan groups could be considered similarly trained and robust. Some irregulars had different grades, like the regional and local forces of the Viet Minh/NLF, so you could mix 337 with other units like 447. You might give the 337s the usual SSRs, but not the others, but both would be considered the same 'nationality' rather than the default of Allied. Partisans sometimes get movement boosts by SSR and I would see both types getting such boosts.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
that's true, sounds like it would work well for something in Italy or suchlike

I heard about Tito's forces right enough (heh, it was probably your good self that I heard it from:nod:
that they were almost a real army

mixing the MMC up and only applying SSR to some of them would work pretty well I think, great idea:cool:

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
It might have been Mark Pitcavage (Pitman). He apparently done a lot of research on partisan forces in WW2 and has had a partisan project stewing away for quite some years. As with many such ASL things, I have no idea when it might see the light of day, if ever. He hasn't mentioned it for a few years.