Paris: Notre Dame cathedral erupts in a spire of flame...

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Horrendous. The spire has gone and I can't see them saving much.
They coukd rebuild but the technology and materials may no longer be available.

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
The vandalizing of churches all over France in the past weeks (total silence from MSM), now ends with this big fire as the Holy week began.
Be prepared with vomit bags, Macron will soon open his mouth to speak in the sound of vomits.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
At least nobody died, though one fireperson is reported to have been seriously injured.

It's not the first and will not be the last time that repair/renovation work triggered a fire. Electrical and cutting equipment stacked next to wood dried for centuries is too often a recipe for disaster.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Horrendous. The spire has gone and I can't see them saving much.
They coukd rebuild but the technology and materials may no longer be available.
I believe the technology does remain. I heard a BBC interview with expert and he noted that cathedrals are still being built (in the old school way is the implication), and stone masons with "medieval" skills remain. York Minster seems to have some even on staff. So on that side of the ledger things should be okay.

Materials wise, I can see that the exact same stone may not be found (that quarry used up or now has a strip mall over it) and a variant might have to be used or a composite possibly even. Timber wise that might be another issue, though there are probably enough oaks out there for the task. I bet even the odd farmer with one on his land that suit might donate it. Just as one does for the Rockefeller Tree. It would something to say that old oak went to be a truss or three.

I think one thing that will be more of an issue, is that the mortar between many stones will have been shot, and so there will have to be a good deal of de-construction before re-construction.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
The vandalizing of churches all over France in the past weeks (total silence from MSM), now ends with this big fire as the Holy week began.
Be prepared with vomit bags, Macron will soon open his mouth to speak in the sound of vomits.
Until the source of the fire is investigated, don't be an complete idiot! It sounds like you so, so want it to be a political or sectarian incident that you can taste it. Churches, like other non-residential buildings get it in the neck precisely because they are unoccupied after dark, IE they are easy targets. The culprits for the other churches are most likely to be common thieves or disaffected youths with too much time on their hands. Last week some damage was done to a church in Ireland and the miscreants stole stuff, including some vacuum cleaners, go figure!

As for the media not reporting, with all there is going on in the world (and France in this case), don't expect the media to report on every instance of someone taking a dump on an altar, spray painting "Mary sucks cock!" or robbing a donation/charity box, obnoxious as that may be. If a cleric was badly beaten up or murdered and not reported, that could be entirely another matter. The Irish church hoover episode did get reported, but we have 7% of the population of France, so I suspect 7% of less bad things to report. What percentage of local petty crime is reported in your local paper, never mind national media?

Don't confuse ennui for conspiracy.

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Until the source of the fire is investigated, don't be an complete idiot! It sounds like you so, so want it to be a political or sectarian incident that you can taste it. Churches, like other non-residential buildings get it in the neck precisely because they are unoccupied after dark, IE they are easy targets. The culprits for the other churches are most likely to be common thieves or disaffected youths with too much time on their hands. Last week some damage was done to a church in Ireland and the miscreants stole stuff, including some vacuum cleaners, go figure!

As for the media not reporting, with all there is going on in the world (and France in this case), don't expect the media to report on every instance of someone taking a dump on an altar, spray painting "Mary sucks cock!" or robbing a donation/charity box, obnoxious as that may be. If a cleric was badly beaten up or murdered and not reported, that could be entirely another matter. The Irish church hoover episode did get reported, but we have 7% of the population of France, so I suspect 7% of less bad things to report. What percentage of local petty crime is reported in your local paper, never mind national media?

Don't confuse ennui for conspiracy.
You twisting of words and reason of facts are not good.
Tell me what you think of Ibrahim this author, in your twisted mind he must be an awful person. https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/14044/europe-churches-vandalized