Parameter Data Terrain Combat Modifier Question

Compass Rose

Reaction score
I'm currently playing !Historical 1 The Battle of Gettysburg July 1-3. If you open the parameter data and look under Terrain Combat Modifiers, it list all the different types of terrain. All of the terrain listed has a value of zero or of a negative percent. Is there any reason why a cut is shown as a +40% instead of a -40% (which makes it the only positive modifier listed)? Wouldn't a cut be similar to a ditch or a stone wall; open at both far ends, and offers protection from LOS and gun fire on the side(s)?

Hannibal

Recruit
Reaction score
A cut is so deep that it exceeds the capabilities of a ditch or breastworks. If you're more than a hex away from them then you can't see them at all and they can't see you, but if the enemy is on top of the cut then they are firing down into you and you're firing up into them. As a result they have a tremendous advantage. The cut simulates what happened to Gen Davis' men at Gettysburg and a good article on it is at http://www.brotherswar.com/Gettysburg-1e.htm

Compass Rose

Reaction score
Hannibal, Thanks for the info and of providing a good example!! Its the first time I've seen that web site!!! It looks like I would do what Gen Davis had done, too!!